PDA

View Full Version : GP/Senior B/JGP assignments for US skaters next season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Polymer Bob
05-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks! Yasmin is soo cute, I'm excited to see her skate on the JGP, she is such a little fire cracker!

I took some poor video of Yasmin at the Crystal Skate in Boxborough, MA last June.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBci0naPH6k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwFeRoaftSA

Sylvia
05-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Reposting the link to a 2/20/10 local Massachusetts article & video about Yasmin Siraj before she made her international debut as a novice: http://www.wickedlocal.com/brookline/features/x1487802579/At-age-13-Brookline-skater-has-eye-on-the-Olympics (she lands a 3T+3T(ur) and a nice 3Lo in the practice video)

This May 8th local Colorado Springs article on Agnes Zawadzki seems to imply at the end that she may try the Senior Grand Prix this fall: http://www.gazette.com/sports/skater-98065-broadmoor-success.html

jlai
05-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Not bad for someone who practically hit rock bottom after grabbing a silver medal at the 2007 intermediate nationals, with a fourth-place finish at the 2008 novice nationals and a fifth-place finish at the Midwestern sectionals later that year that caused her to not qualify for the 2009 junior nationals.
4th at novice is rock bottom? Novice nationals, junoir nationals?
:confused:

Sylvia
05-12-2010, 06:32 PM
4th at novice is rock bottom? Novice nationals, junoir nationals?
:confused:
Well, I don't consider that particular reporter (Gomez) to be very knowledgeable about skating... ;)

azskatefan
05-13-2010, 01:22 AM
Well, I don't consider that particular reporter (Gomez) to be very knowledgeable about skating... ;)

To be polite, he's an idiot who is obligated to write about skating. He constantly writes things that are grossly inaccurate.

Sylvia
05-13-2010, 01:37 AM
However, I thought the Agnes Zawadzki article was/is newsworthy and relevant to this thread, and so that's why I posted the link.

haribobo
05-13-2010, 02:09 AM
Regardless of Gomez's history, I thought the Zawadzki article was just fine, and didn't notice anything grossly inaccurate. So maybe he's improving! :D Thanks for posting, Sylvia.

jlai
05-13-2010, 04:38 AM
True, the only other error that jumped out at me was his mention of speed, but other than that...

Anyway, nothing in the article implies she's doing gp. It's Gomez not Agnes Z. who raises the possibility.

Sylvia
06-13-2010, 10:00 PM
U.S. initial Grand Prix assignments were published today and are as follows:

LADIES (16 slots/9 different skaters assigned):
2 for Flatt (NHK/SA), Nagasu (CHN/FRA), Wagner (NHK/RUS), Czisny (CAN/FRA), Zhang (NHK/SA), and Agnes Zawadzki (CAN/RUS);
1 for Amanda Dobbs (CHN), Gilles (CAN), and Kristine Musademba (CHN);
1 TBA at Skate America.

MEN (12 slots/6 different skaters assigned):
2 for Abbott (NHK/RUS), Weir (CAN/FRA), Rippon (SA/CAN), Mroz (CHN/FRA), Ross Miner (NHK/CHN); 1 for Carriere (SA);
1 TBA at Skate America.

PAIRS (11 slots/7 different teams assigned):
2 for Denney/Barrett (NHK/SA), Evora/Ladwig (CHN/RUS), and McLaughlin/Brubaker (CAN/SA);
1 for Inoue/Baldwin (NHK), Yankowskas/Coughlin (CHN), Castelli/Shnapir (CAN), and Britney Simpson/Nathan Miller (RUS);
1 TBA at Skate America.

DANCE (13 slots/7 different teams assigned):
2 for Davis/White (NHK/SA), Samuelson/Bates (NHK/FRA), Chock/Zuerlein (CAN/FRA), Hubbell/Hubbell (CHN/RUS), Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani (NHK/SA);
1 for Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello (CHN) and Rachel Tibbetts/Collin Brubaker (CAN);
1 TBA at Skate America.

ETA: Bolded names above are the skaters making their Senior GP debut.

Sylvia
06-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Moved from the Grand Prix Assignments thread in GSD since it's more relevant here:

If Joelle [Forte] competes for US again she'll likely have to do regionals and sectionals. I think that probably goes for [Ellie] Kawamura and [Angela] Maxwell as well, they could try for JGP, but Maxwell has already done 3 seasons of JGP and Kawamura isn't as strong as a lot of the girls in line being considered for JGP, because likely:

S5 Christina Gao - 2 events
J2 Yasmin Siraj - 2 events
J3 Lindsay Davis - 1 event, I don't think she has enough tech earn a second one
J4 Kiri Baga - 2 events
J5 Nina Jiang - 1 or 2 events
S14 Samantha Cesario - 1 or 2 events
N2 Ashley Cain - 1 or 2 events
N3 Katarina Kulgeyko - 1 or 2 events

There's 14 spots, so even if all the people I listed as getting 1 or 2 events only get 1, that's 11 spots taken up. The remaining 3 spots could be given to Ellie and Angela, but more likely they would be given to Felicia Zhang (J6) if she's still doing singles and/or Angela Wang (J7). Where Angela didn't compete at nationals and Ellie placed 21st, it doesn't look too good for them.
Kristiene Gong (S16) is also listed in USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP) - she placed 4th in her one JGP assignment last season. Two other JGP age-eligible ladies in the ISP are Vanessa Lam (J8) and Gracie Gold (N4). Other age-eligible ladies who stand out in competition monitoring this summer could also be considered.

I know the USFSA has strict rules like J4 can't get an event before J2, but like S14 can get an event before J5 or N2. It's confusing.
It has been my observation that USFS' International Committee that selects the JGP and Senior B skaters (ICMS) appears to be weighting senior national results more than junior/novice in recent years, especially when it comes to JGP assignments for the ladies, but nothing is ever "set in stone" because the ICMS also changes personnel from year to year.

pinky166
06-14-2010, 01:27 AM
It has been my observation that USFS' International Committee that selects the JGP and Senior B skaters (ICMS) appears to be weighting senior national results more than junior/novice in recent years, especially when it comes to JGP assignments for the ladies, but nothing is ever "set in stone" because the ICMS also changes personnel from year to year.

I am always very confused by the JGP picks in the US. I mean, last year Christina and Kiri didn't have initial assignments and they were the junior bronze medalist and novice champion, but skaters like Taylor Firth and Laney Diggs who were 13th and 10th in seniors, and Kristene Gong who was 4th in junior, did get initial assignments. Most of the time, aren't the skaters who medal in junior and novice better than these senior ladies who finish middle of the pack? Even if they are not, I'm confused on how the USFSA comes to the decision of WHICH middle of the pack seniors to send to JGP, as there are a fair number who are young enough to do JGP and won't be getting SGP assignments.

Sylvia
06-14-2010, 02:57 AM
I am always very confused by the JGP picks in the US. I mean, last year Christina and Kiri didn't have initial assignments and they were the junior bronze medalist and novice champion, but skaters like Taylor Firth and Laney Diggs who were 13th and 10th in seniors, and Kristene Gong who was 4th in junior, did get initial assignments.
No, Gong was selected after the initial round, like Gao and Baga were. 5 senior ladies and the top 2 juniors were initially selected for the JGP based on 2009 Nationals results: Angela Maxwell (S8), Laney Diggs (S10), Kristine Musademba (S11), Taylor Firth (S13), Karen Zhou (S19), DeeDee Leng (J1), and Ellie Kawamura (J2). Of this group of 7, Maxwell and Musademba were the only ones with previous JGP experience.

Most of the time, aren't the skaters who medal in junior and novice better than these senior ladies who finish middle of the pack? Even if they are not, I'm confused on how the USFSA comes to the decision of WHICH middle of the pack seniors to send to JGP, as there are a fair number who are young enough to do JGP and won't be getting SGP assignments.
There doesn't appear to be set criteria for selecting among the Senior/Junior/Novice singles skaters for the JGP. As I mentioned earlier, the ICMS committee has been rewarding more singles skaters that qualify for Nationals at the senior level with international assignments in recent years, even if they've been placing lower in the senior events. I think it's because there is a general consensus that skaters competing at the senior national level are dealing with a higher intensity of pressure in competition. This may also be a way of encouraging more skaters to move up to the senior level nationally if/when they are ready and rewarding longevity.

pinky166
06-14-2010, 03:01 AM
No, Gong was selected after the initial round, like Gao and Baga were. 5 senior ladies and the top 2 juniors were initially selected for the JGP based on 2009 Nationals results: Angela Maxwell (S8), Laney Diggs (S10), Kristine Musademba (S11), Taylor Firth (S13), Karen Zhou (S19), DeeDee Leng (J1), and Ellie Kawamura (J2). Of this group of 7, Maxwell and Musademba were the only ones with previous JGP experience.

There doesn't appear to be set criteria for selecting among the Senior/Junior/Novice singles skaters for the JGP. As I mentioned earlier, the ICMS committee has been rewarding more singles skaters that qualify for Nationals at the senior level with international assignments in recent years, even if they've been placing lower in the senior events. I think it's because there is a consensus that skaters competing at the senior national level are dealing with a higher intensity of pressure and expectations in competition. This may also be a way of encouraging more skaters to move up to the senior level nationally if/when they are ready.

Oh alright. It's still all a little confusing but I guess the USFS figures that the junior and novice skaters are younger than a lot of the senior skaters and so they have more time to get JGP events in the future. I guess it makes sense, as many of the seniors that go to JGP are 17 or 18 and will only be eligible for a season or two, versus the novice and junior ranks which are full of 13 and 14 year olds who will be age eligible for several years.

I still want Nina Jiang to go this season though :), I don't care that she's a baby, she's so lovely to watch.

pinky166
06-14-2010, 07:33 PM
How do the senior B assignments work? Do those come out later? Further, do you have to be assigned or can approved skaters just sign up for them?

Sylvia
06-14-2010, 08:18 PM
How do the senior B assignments work? Do those come out later? Further, do you have to be assigned or can approved skaters just sign up for them?
The ICMS committee determines the Senior B assignments. The decisions usually are made during the course of the summer, and the skaters/teams that are selected/being considered are monitored in competition.