PDA

View Full Version : GP/Senior B/JGP assignments for US skaters next season

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

jlai
04-01-2010, 02:56 AM
Thanks, haribobo. :) That's exactly what I meant.

That said, for US to be as successful as Japan, US can't just rely on teenage phenoms any more, esp. now that girls won't be able to peak at 15/16 and snatch gold at worlds or Olympics ala Lipinski/Hughes.

US has to develop girls who can surive puberty to some extent, and it does help to have some strong twenty somethings like Japan's Akiko Suzuki or Nakano. I think USFSA meant well when they promoted Czisny last year to pursue that effort, but alas, you can't buck the Forte vs. Gao trend. :(

Sylvia
04-18-2010, 09:12 PM
I've copied the first 2 quoted posts below from the Russian up and coming ladies thread in the Trash Can:

ALL Eligible US Ladies for JGP Circuit 10-11, (who competed at or qualified for the 2010 US Figure Skating Championships)

Yes there are some obvious ones on here that will certainly not compete on junior.

(S1) R. Flatt (Senior)
(S2) M. Nagasu ("" "")
(S5) C. Gao ("" "")
(S6) A. Dobbs ("" "")
(S8) A. Gilles ("" "")
(S11) C. Zhang ("" "")
(S14) S. Cesario
(S15) L. Diggs
(S16) K. Gong
(S19) C. Sperduto
(S21) E. Kawamura
(S22) R. Stern
(S - Withdrawn) K. Howey
(S - Withdrawn) A. Maxwell
(S - Withdrawn) K. Musademba

(J1) A. Zawadzki
(J2) Y. Siraj
(J3) L. Davis
(J4) K. Baga
(J5) N. Jiang
(J6) F. Zhang
(J7) A. Wang
(J8) V. Lam
(J9) M. Daniels
(J10) M. Secundy
(J11) K. Wyckoff
(J12) K. McNab
(J13) H. Dunne

(N2) A. Cain
(N3) K. Kulgeyko
(N4) G. Gold
(N5) C. Hicks
(N7) R. Kono
(N8) J. Calalang
(N9) C. Taylor
(N10) A. Kimmelman
(N11) A. Timlen
(N12) N. Rajic

Phew! So there are the Novice, Junior, and Senior ladies who can compete next year on the JGP. Thoughts on who might be picked?

My guesses are Cesario, Zawadzki, Jiang, Siraj & Baga, then maybe someone like Kulgeyko or Wang. I'm guessing Cain & Zhang might stick w/pairs.
Kulgeyko showed 2 different triples in Nationals (toe and sal) and had a popped flip in her FS (planned triple attempt?). Gracie Gold landed two 3Lz and a 3F in her Novice FS and I will be interested to see how she monitors this summer.

It's been discussed already, but having a consistent 3Lo may be a factor in selection because 2 or 3Lo is the required solo jump from steps in the Junior SP in 2010-11. Both Siraj and Jiang attempted 3Lo as Novices at Gardena Spring Trophy earlier this month (Jiang landed it as her combo in the Novice SP there).

I forgot to mention Davis in my list ;) (though to be honest I don't think she'll get more than 1 assignment)

pinky166
04-19-2010, 02:25 AM
Men, I don't know who's retiring so I won't try to figure it out.

Ladies:

SGP: Flatt (2), Nagasu (2), Wagner (2), Gao (2), Dobbs (2), Zhang (2)
Gilles (1), Czisny (1), Liang (1), Hughes/Meissner if they compete (1)

^^ depending on space, I wouldn't be surprised if Gilles and Czinsy each got 2 spots. Also Liang might not get any, but she did do well at nationals so they might still give her one.

Senior Bs: Czisny, Gilles, Liang, Zawadzki

JGP: Zawadzki (2), Baga (2), Siraj (2), Davis (2), Cesario (2), Jiang (2),Gong (1), Wang (1)

Regionals and Sectionals: Musademba, Maxwell, Kawamura
The first two where they withdrew and Ellie where she did so poorly at nationals. But all three did well on the JGP this season so they might get international assignments, senior Bs maybe?

chipso1
04-19-2010, 04:08 AM
Men, I don't know who's retiring so I won't try to figure it out.

Ladies:

SGP: Flatt (2), Nagasu (2), Wagner (2), Gao (2), Dobbs (2), Zhang (2)
Gilles (1), Czisny (1), Liang (1), Hughes/Meissner if they compete (1)

^^ depending on space, I wouldn't be surprised if Gilles and Czinsy each got 2 spots. Also Liang might not get any, but she did do well at nationals so they might still give her one.

Senior Bs: Czisny, Gilles, Liang, Zawadzki

JGP: Zawadzki (2), Baga (2), Siraj (2), Davis (2), Cesario (2), Jiang (2),Gong (1), Wang (1)

Regionals and Sectionals: Musademba, Maxwell, Kawamura
The first two where they withdrew and Ellie where she did so poorly at nationals. But all three did well on the JGP this season so they might get international assignments, senior Bs maybe?

As already pointed out, Czisny is almost guaranteed to be assigned to the SGP should she stick around next season. Her ISU World Ranking is safely within the top 24, and her SB score is in the top 75, too. I can't see her not getting assigned a GP event and being relegated to a Senior B event only.

ETA: Sorry, pinky! I missed that in your original post.:o

Sylvia
04-19-2010, 04:14 AM
If Zawadzki is assigned to the JGP, she is not likely get a Senior B as well (Liang, Hughes, Bulanhagui and/or anyone with 1 GP or none may be considered). Last year, 4 U.S. ladies, 6 men, 3 pairs, and 4 dance teams ended up with Senior B assignments.

pinky166
04-19-2010, 04:47 AM
As already pointed out, Czisny is almost guaranteed to be assigned to the SGP should she stick around next season. Her ISU World Ranking is safely within the top 24, and her SB score is in the top 75, too. I can't see her not getting assigned a GP event and being relegated to a Senior B event only.

I know, that's why I said she will definitely get 1 SGP assignment and possibly 2. Alissa normally gets senior B assignments as well because they help with her confidence and nerves, so I predict that if she continues she will get either 1 SGP assignment and 1 Senior B assignment or 2 SGP assignments. She'll definitely get a SGP assignment, the question is just whether 1 assignment or 2.

pinky166
04-19-2010, 04:48 AM
If Zawadzki is assigned to the JGP, she is not likely get a Senior B as well (Liang, Hughes, Bulanhagui and/or anyone with 1 GP or none may be considered). Last year, 4 U.S. ladies, 6 men, 3 pairs, and 4 dance teams ended up with Senior B assignments.

I was more thinking if Agnes doesn't do the JGP, she might do a senior B and get 1 SGP assignment.

Sylvia
04-20-2010, 03:42 AM
Alissa normally gets senior B assignments as well because they help with her confidence and nerves,
Czisny received a Senior B assignment this past season because USFS reportedly asked all the Grand Prix skaters if they wanted an extra comp. before their GP events and, as the 2009 national champ, she got first dibs on Nebelhorn. The year before, she was assigned to Nebelhorn because she had received 1 GP in the initial selection round (she ended up getting a 2nd one at the last minute).

RUKen
04-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Czisny received a Senior B assignment this past season because USFS reportedly asked all the Grand Prix skaters if they wanted an extra comp. before their GP events and, as the 2009 national champ, she got first dibs on Nebelhorn. The year before, she was assigned to Nebelhorn because she had received 1 GP in the initial selection round (she ended up getting a 2nd one at the last minute).

She's currently the two-time champion of the Nebelhorn Trophy. No lady has ever won three Nebelhorns, so she may be interested in going again.

query5
04-20-2010, 06:28 PM
i have been doing a rough draft with everyone in from last year for women
guaranteed two is---mirai and rachel, probably two is ashley, carolina zhang , alissa- definitely 1--is agnes zawadki-could get two; christina gao- might get two depends on how; where assigned, and definitely 1 is amanda dobbs.
possible 1 for alexe gilles
l
it depends on who stays in which skaters from other countries stay junior or jumps up to senior-so it is possible that only mirai and rachel gets two and ashley carolina alissa agnes amanda and christina gao gets one.
the men i worked out i don't remember who.
but i went by 24 at worlds, top 24 scores and top 24 world rankings .
i didn't go by nationals at all.
s

pinky166
04-20-2010, 07:56 PM
i have been doing a rough draft with everyone in from last year for women
guaranteed two is---mirai and rachel, probably two is ashley, carolina zhang , alissa- definitely 1--is agnes zawadki-could get two; christina gao- might get two depends on how; where assigned, and definitely 1 is amanda dobbs.
possible 1 for alexe gilles
l
it depends on who stays in which skaters from other countries stay junior or jumps up to senior-so it is possible that only mirai and rachel gets two and ashley carolina alissa agnes amanda and christina gao gets one.
the men i worked out i don't remember who.
but i went by 24 at worlds, top 24 scores and top 24 world rankings .
i didn't go by nationals at all.
s

I think with Caroline's 4CC medal and Ashley making the GPF - they will each get 2. Alissa and Amanda I don't think definitely will only get 1 - they could get 2 but it just depends on numbers, though if they do only get 1 I think each would also get a senior B assignment.

Agnes I think will do JGP, Christina might even do JGP again though I assume will move to seniors. If she does SGP I think she will get 2 because of her medal at the JGPF - I think she would get 2 assignments before Amanda or Alissa. She has one gauranteed and USFSA could give her SA if she doesn't get invited to another event.

Russians I think only Makarova and Shelepen will move to seniors. Gerdboldt is doing pairs, Gozeva won't get an assignment if Shelepen moves up. Agafonova, Ovcharova, Birukova I assume will do JGP again as they are so young.

Also if Rachael is in college full-time will she even be competing?

Kimmie is a question mark and the last time she competed she was doing very poorly - I agree the USFSA should give a SA assignment to Angela Maxwell over Kimmie. Angela is an incredible talent and is young with lots of potential. Plus she's so spunky and energetic she is sure to be a crowd pleaser.

Stephanie
04-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Maxwell and Musademba have already done three seasons on the JGP. I'd rather see them in senior Bs and agree that Maxwell would be a great pick for Skate America.

barbk
04-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Musademba has managed to have a very uneven three seasons, and I'm not sure that she ought to get even a Senior B this year -- she needs to buckle down and do well at the qualifying events and go into Nationals healthy and well-prepared. It does seem quite wrong to even consider putting her on the JGP circuit again given all of the other skaters and the limited number of JGP spots. She had her chances, and lots of them, and for a variety of reasons couldn't capitalize on them.

Stephanie
04-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Speaking of Angela Maxwell, I believe it was reported around nationals that she had left her then coach Craig Maurizi. Who is her new coach? Is she still training in Hackensack?

haribobo
04-21-2010, 10:59 PM
While I more or less agree with your point, barbk, I'd say that Musademba has done fairly well for herself over the past 3 years- only 5 or 6 US ladies have a better track record. She's made several JGPFs and shown lots of promise...but her success trajectory has kind of stayed on the same medium level, not unlike what's happened to Bereswill and Gilles. I actually think Kristine has more potential than either of them but didn't move up to senior GP so we didnt see where she fit in there and then the injury destroyed her season. Angela Maxwell and Kristine are caught in limbo a bit at the moment and they'll have to get a lucky break or two to get on the GP and back into the mix. I'll be rooting for them- should be interesting to see what develops! With the right set of circumstances, either of them could hit top 5 at Nationals, but it will be a bit of an uphill climb.