PDA

View Full Version : Is Bradley retiring?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Snowflake3939
04-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I haven't attended SOI for the last two years because it was becoming stale for me. I separate competition from entertainment, so when I go to SOI, I want to be entertained. A person would just have to see Ryan Bradley skate once to know that he's a born entertainer. For entertainment value, I would rather see Ryan skate than Evan, Mike and Jeremy put together. He doesn't need the triple axel or the quad to skate in SOI. I think he would sell more tickets year after year without being a national, world or Olympic champion and even casual fans who've never heard of him would certainly want to come back the following year after seeing him skate.

roxynova
04-09-2010, 09:18 PM
At least Disson has it right with regards to Ryan...he is already listed in the cast of Skate for the Heart in October, and hopefully more shows to be announced! I hope he turns his free skate into a show number (it practically already is!) - would love to see that in person :) Here's hoping he's a full-on member of the SOI family by this time next year!

MOIJTO
04-09-2010, 09:37 PM
I would have loved to have seen his LP at the Olympics, but Ryan will be missed. I hope that SOI invites him along, Steven Cousins is getting older and they need a new FUN guy.

Garden Kitty
04-09-2010, 09:40 PM
I understand that economics requires SOI to keep its core cast relatively small and that the big names and medal winners are needed to attract audiences and even to get the media interviews in the local markets. Plus they try to balance the cast, and right now there are a lot of guys including Evan, Todd and Michael. But Ryan is an amazing entertainer, and I think he'd be a real crowd pleaser. He's also great with fans which is an important element of being a cast member as well.

I wish he'd at least gotten a few guest spots, and I hope to see him on the tour next year.

Sylvia
05-19-2010, 05:43 PM
Ryan mentions he will be having foot surgery in the latest Sarah/Drew blog (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100519&content_id=10193608&vkey=ice_news):

The foot is heavily taped but Bradley still visibly favors it and says it hurts a lot. He had agreed to skate in several shows before the injury, and he has honored all the commitments. The agony will come to an end this Friday, when he is scheduled to have surgery.
"I'm having a titanium plate put in," he told us with a grimace. "And screws. They wanted to put it in when I broke it but I had other things to do [meaning Four Continents and the world championships].
"I could probably have gone without surgery, but I wouldn't have been able to skate without pain. And I like to play basketball and football, too, and that wasn't going to happen. They say I'll be on crutches for four weeks, but we'll see."

skatesindreams
05-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I'll be thinking of Ryan, wishing him a speedy amd uneventful recovery.

caseyedwards
05-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Plates and screws-good luck!

Rottie
05-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Ouch!!! Some athletes' tolerance for pain never fails to amaze me. Good luck to Ryan and his foot!

REO
05-19-2010, 10:04 PM
If they're doing all that it must have been a pretty serious break. I can't believe he competed with that injury! Course I'm a wuss about a hangnail. He better follow doctors orders though the little devil. Maybe, while he recovers, his foot can IM with Evan's toe!

AragornElessar
05-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Good luck and a very speedy recovery to one of my favourite skaters!!

RockTheTassel
05-20-2010, 12:42 AM
I hope he recovers well. It was brave to compete like that, but I do worry that he's pushing it. Take it easy, Ryan!

jlai
05-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Sarah and Drew's tweet:

We heard from @RyanSBradley - he says the surgery went really well and the estimate on healing time is excellent. Great news. :)

RockTheTassel
05-23-2010, 02:34 AM
Thanks for posting that, Jlai. Glad to hear that it went well.

AragornElessar
05-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Excellent news!! Thanks for letting us know. :)

Mosca
05-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Another update tweet from Ryan himself: (http://twitter.com/RyanSBradley/status/14565217083)

Surgery went really well. Wont be walking for another month, but after that I should be close to normal :) Not like I was ever really normal

(Longtime lurker, possibly my first time posting. Hi!)