PDA

View Full Version : Is Bradley retiring?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

jlai
04-08-2010, 05:13 PM
whole post

ITA re: Brown :swoon: , Farris :swoon: and Ryan.

pinky166
04-08-2010, 05:16 PM
I am a quiet uber of both Jason Brown ( especially) and Joshua Farris, and think they'll be the ones to "take the torch" from the current champions ( knocking on wood frantically). But they are both 15 and have not even done Junior circuit yet, so for the next 2, 3 years they'll be doing Junior GP and Junior Worlds. They might be a thread for the Sochi team, though.
I totally agree that somebody as charismatic and entertaining as Ryan really should have a future on tour, I'd gladly sign that letter to SOI. If another year might help him to get there, I hope he stays- but it will not be easy for him with Abbott, Rippon, Mroz and possibility of Evan/ Johnny still competing. Without Evan and Johnny thre is a good chance, though Mroz might come back roaring.

It's dumb that SOI won't accept Ryan. I mean, they accepted Alissa and she and Ryan have had very similar results at their competitions the past few years.

MysticHaze
04-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I hope Ryan continues, at least for another season. I loved it when he beat Evan at Skate Canada in 2008. SOI accepted Alissa because she is a National Champion.

Lacey
04-08-2010, 06:28 PM
On any given day, I could see Ryan medaling, maybe at the top, at US Nats, sort of a la Alissa, if others are having bad days and he happens to be having a great one. He does have the talent, quads, and he certainly is a show man, I am charmed every time he goes out on the ice. But I do think that at least two years out from Sochi, the judges will be pushing the next generation. So, perhaps it is a good idea to try again, but maybe for only one more year, or two at a reach.

REO
04-08-2010, 07:09 PM
SOI misses the boat by not having entertaining skaters like Bradley and Weir. It's all well and good to be an excellent skater by CoP standards but winning an OGM does not mean you're necessarily fun to watch. (Sorry Sarah.) If they want more people, besides the hard core fans, to buy tickets they should go with the popular skaters not just the big medal winners. It's not like Ryan and skaters of his ilk are not worth watching. It's supposed to be a SHOW not a parade.

chipso1
04-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Could it be that Bradley turned down SOI because of his broken foot? Scott seems to love him, and I imagine he'd be on the tour if healthy.

gkelly
04-08-2010, 08:23 PM
If they want more people, besides the hard core fans, to buy tickets they should go with the popular skaters not just the big medal winners.

Obviously if they had 50 skaters they'd attract a wider variety and larger total number of fans than if they have 15 skaters. But it wouldn't be cost effective to pay salaries and expenses for that many skaters.

So they hire skaters they think will attract a large enough number of fans to justify their salaries. They need to attract casual fans who may only be familiar with a handful of names. Or who don't even recognize any names but do recognize impressive titles listed after the names.

Unfortunately that means that many skaters who are favorites of serious fans don't get hired.

blue_idealist
04-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Maybe they didn't include him because they already had Michael, Jeremy and Evan and thought that was enough US Men? They can't have everybody good.

dinakt
04-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Farris debuted on the JGP this past season and placed 4th and 5th in 2 strong fields (Lake Placid & Turkey), landing the 3A in both competitions.

Brown just had his international debut at Gardena Spring Trophy this past weekend and won with an impressive score (197+) -- here's the link to the event thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71498
He was quoted after winning the Junior title at Nationals that he may not move up to senior nationally unless he gets the 3A, but he certainly hasn't needed it to be successful so far.

Back to Ryan Bradley -- he is currently ranked #26 in the ISU World Standings and #25 on the Season Best scores list, so he is very likely to get at least 1, if not 2, Grand Prix assignments this fall if he chooses to continue competing.

Thanks Sylvia! I am living under the illusion that all competitions end with Worlds, but it ain't so. I was talking about International Junior assignments, but I guess Joshua and Jason can move to Senior Nationals... wow... I am so curious if they do!

euterpe
04-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Farris has landed the 3A in competition. He probably would have done better in the JGP this past season, but he had a serious leg injury that kept him from practicing during the early summer of 2009.

2sk8
04-09-2010, 12:36 PM
He was quoted after winning the Junior title at Nationals that he may not move up to senior nationally unless he gets the 3A, but he certainly hasn't needed it to be successful so far.

Asked this after US Nationals, but still not sure - doesn't Brown have to move up? Rules do not allow a National Cahmpion to compete the next year at the same level (except, of course, Senior), do they?

Sylvia
04-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Asked this after US Nationals, but still not sure - doesn't Brown have to move up? Rules do not allow a National Cahmpion to compete the next year at the same level (except, of course, Senior), do they?
No, Jason Brown doesn't have to move up to Senior -- see this thread: USFS clarification on Novice and Junior Champions (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73058).

Farris has landed the 3A in competition.
Yes, I mentioned in my earlier post that Farris landed the 3A in his 2 JGPs this past fall.

Speaking of the 3A... I think Ryan Bradley only landed it once or twice in competition this past season and usually ended up doubling the jump. His 3A success rate was much higher the season before.

2sk8
04-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Nice that USFS "clarified" that yesterday...;)
I actually thought it was quite clear the other way - skaters start their "qualifying season" by entering pre-Sept 1 through their Region, whether or not other rules allow them to skip or have a bye through Regionals or Sectionals. So, this clarification says - we didn't really mean they need to move up, just they can start at Sectionals - but they could get a bye there with a JGP assignment. More confusing, not less...IMHO

Anyway, back on topic, there is no comparison, style-wise/maturity, between Jason & Ryan, and I echo those posters opinions who believe SOI made a mistake in not including him!

wonderlen
04-09-2010, 03:28 PM
I think none of the skaters aside from Evan or Johnny are consistent. Abott and Adam are a little inconsistent, but both have the COP friendly qualities and have major titles to their name.
Morz is like him too, just big jump and nothign else. I be surprise if both Evan and Johnny return, as they have found post ice career in hollywood already.

gkelly
04-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Nice that USFS "clarified" that yesterday...;)
I actually thought it was quite clear the other way - skaters start their "qualifying season" by entering pre-Sept 1 through their Region, whether or not other rules allow them to skip or have a bye through Regionals or Sectionals. So, this clarification says - we didn't really mean they need to move up, just they can start at Sectionals - but they could get a bye there with a JGP assignment. More confusing, not less...IMHO

The rule says nothing about byes from JGP assignments. That's just extra knowledge that posters are bringing to understanding what it says.

We know that everyone is supposed to start their season with regionals, except that skaters who placed in the top 5 in seniors the previous year can go straight through to nationals regardless of fall assignments or injuries.

It seems what it's saying is that skaters who placed "in the top 1" at the novice or junior level the previous year can start the qualifying process at sectionals the next year if they stay at the same level. If they move up a level or two, they have to start at regionals.

If they have international assignments, they might get byes, but that's separate.