PDA

View Full Version : Rachael's plans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32

Iceman
05-10-2011, 08:32 PM
http://www.requiredelements.com/2011/5/6/2157016/rachael-flatt-leaves-broadmoor

A 2010 Olympian, Flatt, 18, will take a family vacation to Hawaii over the summer, work on her triple axel at the University of Delaware’s high performance center, participate in a freshman orientation at Stanford and look for a new coach in the Bay Area. Her parents have put their Springs home up for sale, with intentions of moving back to San Diego.

Flatt aims for a full load of courses in chemical engineering her initial quarter at Stanford, and she plans on competing in the Grand Prix series that runs from October to December. She also has circled the U.S. Championships in January in San Jose, Calif., a qualifier for the Four Continents Championships in February at World Arena and worlds in March in Nice, France. The next Winter Olympics are in February 2014 in Sochi, Russia.

dewey
05-10-2011, 08:56 PM
It is possible - not definite, but possible - that she is in for a very rude shock about the difference between high school courses (even AP) and a full load of college engineering courses.

ainouta
05-10-2011, 09:18 PM
This is my favorite performance by Rachael...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB9y2L45gxg&feature=related

RD
05-10-2011, 10:56 PM
It is possible - not definite, but possible - that she is in for a very rude shock about the difference between high school courses (even AP) and a full load of college engineering courses.

Same thoughts running through my head. Not impossible, but she's gonna have to be one of the "quick ones" so to speak...

euterpe
05-11-2011, 12:33 AM

Mine, too. She went on to win Junior Worlds with a similar performance.

Jenna
05-11-2011, 12:41 AM

Yes. This was the peak of her career.

Anita18
05-11-2011, 01:41 AM
It certainly was a shock to me - high school was a cakewalk compared to the college science track. But it's very likely that Rachael is smarter than me. My sister didn't have quite the shock that I did. :lol:

mgobluegirl
05-11-2011, 02:39 AM

Very much agreed. Even though AP classes are "college," they are not really even in the same ballpark of difficulty as demanding college courses. And after a year off of the school routine, Rachael may be a little rusty.

UGG
05-11-2011, 03:20 AM
You could say the same thing if you watched a video of Zhang from 2007. Puberty probably has something to do with these changes in Rachael now versus then. I'll admit even in 2007, she didn't have the baby ballerina look, but she was just a little kid who hadn't hit puberty and well it's probably easier to spin and jump when you're 80 pounds versus 110.

Oh I agree 100%. Zhang is another. And Meissner but at least she was able to get a national and world title in before her downfall. Actually with Kimmie...she actually looks BETTER its just that she lost all her jumps. :(

polkadots
05-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Yes. This was the peak of her career.

Wow, I can't believe how much I enjoyed that performance!

IceJunkie
05-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Meh. I found college way easier than high school AP classes.

KCC
05-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Of course it was not Stanford, but I had no trouble with my freshman classes in college (also in chem e), but needed to work 2-3x as hard starting in my sophomore year. It takes a lot of discipline and asking for help when needed, but that sounds like Rachael. I predict that she'll be okay, whether she stays in engineering or changes her major along the way.

AxelAnnie
05-11-2011, 05:19 PM
At Stanford you have to live in the dorms the first year, and you are not allowed to have a car..................which makes it difficult to get to the rink. They want you to absorb and be part of the culture. Don't know about exceptions....and of course, they say no exceptions.

AxelAnnie
05-11-2011, 05:20 PM
I've been saying they should show her boots. It might give her legs more shape.

I know it. Alissa's look fabulous (the leg and the boot LOL)

Skittl1321
05-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I agree, I went to a school with a well ranked engineering program (top ranked for petroleum engineering, which was my major at the time) and the kids with aptitude for it just breezed through freshman year. I could see from my friends that it got harder as it went along, but many of them barely studied that first year.

I on the other hand worked my ass of to earn my failing, or barely passing grades, and quickly switched my major to what I wanted it to be rather than what my Mom wanted it to be. Then I graduated with honors, despite having to pick up from a grade point that put me on probation.

Rachael has an aptitude for science, she'll be busy, but I bet she'll do fine. Skating might even force her to be more organized with her time, so she may even fare better than those who find their schedules wide open. Being disciplined with your time is one of the most difficult things about college.