PDA

View Full Version : Rachael's plans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32

Sasha'sSpins
05-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Elements like the layback I understand-but how would bulging discs affect qualities like her edgework if she had decent basics to begin with?

FigureSpins
05-09-2011, 12:54 PM
I think costuming is also an issue. Alissa's long, ballerina lines look great with the open back and illusion shoulders, but that same look on Rachael just doesn't work. It makes her rounded shoulders (which could be because of the back injuries) look stooped. Not every look works for every skater. That being said, I think both are talented skaters and I hope they're able to continue competing next season and perhaps, beyond.

pinky166
05-09-2011, 03:07 PM
I think costuming is also an issue. Alissa's long, ballerina lines look great with the open back and illusion shoulders, but that same look on Rachael just doesn't work. It makes her rounded shoulders (which could be because of the back injuries) look stooped. Not every look works for every skater. That being said, I think both are talented skaters and I hope they're able to continue competing next season and perhaps, beyond.

Alissa really doesn't have long lines. She's very long waisted. Her arms and legs are thin, but average length relative to her height. I noticed this at TEB in the pictures of her and Mirai standing next to each other on the podium, Mirai had much longer legs and a much shorter torso than Alissa, who had a more similar build to Kiira Korpi, who is tall for a skater, but not particularly long limbed. Anyways I don't think Rachael's costumes are her biggest issue, I think it's more a matter of carriage. Her posture is a little slouchy and her shoulders a little hunched and rounded - costumes aren't going to fix that, she needs to actively work on her posture to fix that. Of course, some of it may be due to her back injuries.

Cheylana
05-09-2011, 04:27 PM
She seems like a good kid. I just hope she never, ever reads here.
Word. :(

triple_toe
05-09-2011, 11:15 PM
I admit, I am hardly a fan of Rachael, and I never was from the start. Just out of curiosity, I looked up the first performance of hers I had seen- her 2007 nationals short program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvYIYkNjfM

Almost everything in this performance is better than we're used to seeing from Rachael recently. She looks happy, her expressions are natural, even her posture seems better. She's actually holding her head up, and while she does have a bit of an unfortunate build simply in terms of her short neck and rounded shoulders, this video shows that she IS capable of decent posture. She doesn't have the long neck of Sasha or Oksana, but it's hardly completely hopeless. That spread eagle into the double axel is downright beautiful.

She's also packaged as well as I've seen, with lovely hair and a pretty dress. If only someone had snatched her from Tom Z.'s grasp right after this...

IceAlisa
05-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Her hair is definitely lovely in that program. Great color, highlights and style.

Sylvia
05-09-2011, 11:34 PM
I admit, I am hardly a fan of Rachael, and I never was from the start. Just out of curiosity, I looked up the first performance of hers I had seen- her 2007 nationals short program.

This was the first program choreographed for Rachael by Lori Nichol.

Dancin' Dream
05-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Way too much ado, too much twaddle, on an uninteresting, boring little chick who became 12th at Worlds. Unbelievable! :rolleyes: :blah:

AxelAnnie
05-10-2011, 01:44 AM

Almost everything in this performance is better than we're used to seeing from Rachael recently. She looks happy, her expressions are natural, even her posture seems better. She's actually holding her head up, and while she does have a bit of an unfortunate build simply in terms of her short neck and rounded shoulders, this video shows that she IS capable of decent posture. She doesn't have the long neck of Sasha or Oksana, but it's hardly completely hopeless. That spread eagle into the double axel is downright beautiful.

She's also packaged as well as I've seen, with lovely hair and a pretty dress. If only someone had snatched her from Tom Z.'s grasp right after this...

It is really a puzzlement. That program was wonderful.............I loved it then and now.

I stand by my backward trajectory theory. I don't know if they messed with her too much when they tried the (dramatic make-over a la Kwan) or if somewhere in her mind she substituted posing for authenticity...or if her injury (bulging disc) has incapacitated to the degree that her appearance is hunched...........in which case she shouldn't be skating.

But simple things look better.........just the boots showing, without the tights over the boot. I think that gives her a much better line than the "improved" look.

Coco
05-10-2011, 06:41 AM
Honestly, I don't think the changes are as drastic as some would make them. The quality of movement is better, but that could be attributed to less speed, too. Overall, what works when you are 14 and a little girl doesn't work as well when you are a young woman.

I'm not the first to say that Rachael gives the impression of being a perfect child. I'm sure she really is interested in her studies, but I cringe a bit when commentators talk incessantly about her AP classes and how she was doing homework on the day of the Olympic FS. This sounds like the way a parent would describe a child, but not how a teenager would describe themself. I hope Rachael gets to be Rachael at some point in the near future. She's done everything the adults around her have asked, and then some.

olympic
05-10-2011, 12:51 PM
But simple things look better.........just the boots showing, without the tights over the boot. I think that gives her a much better line than the "improved" look.

I've been saying they should show her boots. It might give her legs more shape.

Aceon6
05-10-2011, 12:56 PM
She's done everything the adults around her have asked, and then some.

Including skating on a stress fracture. Rachael, please practice the words "no" and "I want a 2nd opinion from an expert not affiliated with USFS or Broadmoor"

MacMadame
05-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Including skating on a stress fracture. Rachael, please practice the words "no" and "I want a 2nd opinion from an expert not affiliated with USFS or Broadmoor"

I think it's quite likely that Rachael was one of the people pushing to go to Worlds and skate in spite of the injury.

UGG
05-10-2011, 07:34 PM
wow that 2007 program does not even look like the same skater.

pinky166
05-10-2011, 07:41 PM
wow that 2007 program does not even look like the same skater.

You could say the same thing if you watched a video of Zhang from 2007. Puberty probably has something to do with these changes in Rachael now versus then. I'll admit even in 2007, she didn't have the baby ballerina look, but she was just a little kid who hadn't hit puberty and well it's probably easier to spin and jump when you're 80 pounds versus 110.