PDA

View Full Version : Rachael's plans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32

Sylvia
05-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Ok, I'm having a hard time finding the article
http://www.gazette.com/sports/stanford-117566-broadmoor-done.html

“It is tough to say goodbye to all the great things here in Colorado Springs, but I think it will be a wonderful start to something new,” said Flatt, who finished seventh in the world rankings in a season in which she was the national runner-up and a silver medalist at two Grand Prix stops. “It will be a great opportunity for me to be a little more independent.”
ETA: Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought the original headline of the Gazette article was different and sounded more like she was cutting her ties to Broadmoor SC?

Aceon6
05-08-2011, 06:27 PM
ETA: Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought the original headline of the Gazette article was different and sounded more like she was cutting her ties to Broadmoor SC?

That's quite possible. I was hoping to find something definitive. Maybe its my personality, but I would have kicked him to the curb right in the kiss and cry.

MacMadame
05-08-2011, 06:56 PM
All Rachael need to do is to skate like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzvEfa_MKc) again
That was the year I discovered Flatt. Her performance to win the Novice title (moreso than her exhibition that was shown on tv) was everything that people now say that Flatt isn't and could never be. Since I saw she can do that with my own eyes, this always confuses me.

I do think that Flatt has had a tough transition into Seniors. It's hard when you move up young and it's just hard in general and she's managed to get a National title, Top 10 placements at Worlds and the Olympics, won Jr. Worlds and medalled at a host of international events. But from what you read on FSU, you'd think she was a B level skater who never showed any potential.

I understand that most people only follow skating online and on tv and don't get to go to Nationals or the big club comps so they don't really see skaters until they move up to Seniors (or do well enough in Juniors to get to Jr. Worlds) so a lot of people didn't see Flatt's Novice and Junior careers. But they existed and they prove people wrong that Flatt can't be graceful, can't extend, and can't have personality on the ice.

A "transition period" to me implies some contact, not severing all ties. "Soon" to me means she's not slamming her locker shut.
I don't agree with these interpretations.

In particular, to me, "soon" means "I don't know the exact date but it's going to happen and it will be any day now, I just can't tell you which one." It doesn't say anything about whether or not she's keeping the door open one way or the other.

"Transition period" just means that the break isn't going to be a sharp slice -- one day she's in CO and the next she's in CA. She's going to make the move gradually or she's going to go somewhere else in between CO and CA. Again, there is nothing that implies there will be contact after the transition period.

Jot the Dot Dot
05-08-2011, 08:40 PM
If some people do not like Rachael's skating, okay, everyone has their own favorites and dislikes. But if she was that bad, why did Stars On Ice invite her for a season, even if just for a limited number of dates? As for her appearance, some critics are just plain mean. Yes, her body type is not that of the 'Skinny Minnies' out of the far east, nor is it of the 'Toned By Design' kind like Witt , Rochette or Biellmann. Injuries aside, she is in great shape for a skater.

Schedule-wise, maybe she did have too much on her plate, and being in Stanford will give her time to regroup, relax and take it from there.

overedge
05-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Schedule-wise, maybe she did have too much on her plate, and being in Stanford will give her time to regroup, relax and take it from there.

I agree that she probably had too much going on....but OTOH Stanford doesn't strike me as a low-key, kick back and chill out kind of place. It might just be a different kind of pressure cooker.

lilshorty
05-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Any suggestions on who should be Rachael's new coach?

Dave of the North
05-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Any suggestions on who should be Rachael's new coach?

Morozov, by video?:P

Anita18
05-08-2011, 10:55 PM
I agree that she probably had too much going on....but OTOH Stanford doesn't strike me as a low-key, kick back and chill out kind of place. It might just be a different kind of pressure cooker.
It's self-inflicted, believe me. Everyone over there is an innate overachiever. :lol: I did have cousins who went to Swarthmore, which was a "stress basket" even beyond innate drive.

When I was at Stanford for my sister's graduation, there were people reading on floats in the fountain. :lol: It's got some California chillage going on.

AxelAnnie
05-08-2011, 11:46 PM
All Rachael need to do is to skate like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xzvEfa_MKc) again

Thanks for the link. What happened to THAT skater? Did she have a different coach? Love the darker hair. Boy did she have a backward trajectory.

RD
05-09-2011, 12:37 AM
If some people do not like Rachael's skating, okay, everyone has their own favorites and dislikes. But if she was that bad, why did Stars On Ice invite her for a season, even if just for a limited number of dates? As for her appearance, some critics are just plain mean. Yes, her body type is not that of the 'Skinny Minnies' out of the far east, nor is it of the 'Toned By Design' kind like Witt , Rochette or Biellmann. Injuries aside, she is in great shape for a skater.

Sure, I hate the way her team handled all this, but turning it into insulting her appearance = crossing the line IMHO

Coco
05-09-2011, 03:31 AM
Thanks for the link. What happened to THAT skater? Did she have a different coach? Love the darker hair. Boy did she have a backward trajectory.

Couldn't help but notice Dick Button taking a crack at Kwan's weight in this 2005 clip of Rachael skating.

Kinda brings this thread full circle, in a sad and demented way.

Flying Camel
05-09-2011, 03:35 AM

That's when she looked like she really loved to skate.

FSfan107
05-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Couldn't help but notice Dick Button taking a crack at Kwan's weight in this 2005 clip of Rachael skating.

Kinda brings this thread full circle, in a sad and demented way.

I didn't take Dick Button's comment about Rachael being "...1/100th of the size of Michelle Kwan..." as taking a crack at Kwan's weight. I think it was meant to express how tiny Rachael was.

DickButtonFan
05-09-2011, 03:55 AM

She didn't have the bulging disk injuries back then.

IceAlisa
05-09-2011, 05:02 AM
She didn't have the bulging disk injuries back then.

Do you know for a fact that her disc disease is what's preventing her from skating better?