PDA

View Full Version : Rachael's plans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

dbell1
05-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Wow. Can we rename this thread, "The Rachael Flatt Hate thread"? :rolleyes:

^^ This. I'm not sure what puppies Rachael's kicked or whose favorites she's beaten, but, back to topic - glad she's pursuing a life outside of skating and going to Stanford. To read some of these posts, you'd think she was a hunchback with the grace of a lumbering oaf who only medaled because everyone else was locked out of the building. :confused:

victoriajh
05-08-2011, 06:17 AM
To read some of these posts, you'd think she was a hunchback with the grace of a lumbering oaf who only medaled because everyone else was locked out of the building. :confused:

oh is that NOT waht happened?:D

victoriaheidi
05-08-2011, 07:07 AM
I get it: people don't like Rachael. I get that she's not perfect. I get that she's coming off of a very odd season. But some people act as though she's horrid, which we all know is FAR from the truth. And she has had some really great programs recently: "Sing, Sing, Sing" worked for her.

riveredge
05-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Wow. Can we rename this thread, "The Rachael Flatt Hate thread"? :rolleyes:

Agree. Rachel is one classy lady off the ice. :)

The Fly On The Wall
05-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Agree. Rachel is one classy lady off the ice. :)

She seems like a good kid. I just hope she never, ever reads here.

RD
05-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Not to dump on Rachael, but she has benefited from her date of birth in that it determines the field she has competed against. The U.S. ladies field is just not very deep or consistent right now. Put her back in the Kwan-Cohen-S. Hughes-Nikidinov-et al era and she would have had a very difficult time reaching the podium at Nationals. Send her to Japanese Nats where the field is ridiculously deep and she wouldn't see a podium.

I'd argue that the US ladies field is actually deeper than ever. Only problem is...it's extremely competitive on the NATIONAL level, but the best of that crop can't even get on an INTERNATIONAL podium...(major championship, that is)

Really
05-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Wow. Can we rename this thread, "The Rachael Flatt Hate thread"? :rolleyes:Pretty sad, isn't it?

Aceon6
05-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Back to the topic of Rachael's plans. Can someone recap what is known and verified? For example, is it confirmed that she won't be training at Colorado Springs at all this off season?

Jammers
05-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Lets face it we in the US have been spoiled. No only did we have usually have a contender for the podium but our 2nd skater was better then most of the other skaters so we never needed to worry about 3 spots. Now we cheer our National champion if she finishes in the top 5 at Worlds. That's just not good enough for a country with this kind of skating history.

RD
05-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Lets face it we in the US have been spoiled. No only did we have usually have a contender for the podium but our 2nd skater was better then most of the other skaters so we never needed to worry about 3 spots. Now we cheer our National champion if she finishes in the top 5 at Worlds. That's just not good enough for a country with this kind of skating history.

Agreed!

victoriaheidi
05-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Back to the topic of Rachael's plans. Can someone recap what is known and verified? For example, is it confirmed that she won't be training at Colorado Springs at all this off season?

1. It is verified that Rachael will begin her studies at Stanford in the fall.
2. It is verified that she will need a new coach in some capacity-both she and Tom have suggested that they may still work together.
3. It is verified that she has a very bad injury.

Sylvia
05-08-2011, 05:44 PM
2. It is verified that she will need a new coach in some capacity-both she and Tom have suggested that they may still work together.
Source, please? :) The latest Colorado Springs Gazette article that I linked to a few pages back seems to imply she is cutting all her ties to the Broadmoor SC.

AliasJohnDoe
05-08-2011, 05:44 PM
I'd argue that the US ladies field is actually deeper than ever. Only problem is...it's extremely competitive on the NATIONAL level, but the best of that crop can't even get on an INTERNATIONAL podium...(major championship, that is)

The only podium a USA lady hasn't been on this season is GP CHN and Worlds. I think US ladies are very competitive Internationally. Though Worlds is a "major" podium a US lady wasn't on, I don't consider the other podium placements bad showings.

GP JPN - Flatt silver
GP CAN - Czisny gold
GP CHN - none
GP USA - Flatt bronze
GP RUS - Wagner bronze
GP FRA - Nagasu silver, Czisny bronze
GPF - Czisny gold
4CC - Nagasu bronze
Worlds - none, but Czisny was 5th and less than 2.5pts from bronze.

Aceon6
05-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Source, please? :) The latest Colorado Springs Gazette article that I linked to a few pages back seems to imply she is cutting all her ties to the Broadmoor SC.

That's what's causing my confusion. Quoting from the Gazette
"The Cheyenne Mountain High School graduate has entered a transition period with Broadmoor coach Tom Zakrajsek after a 12th-place finish Saturday at the world championships in Moscow, and she’ll soon be leaving Colorado Springs to prepare for studies at Stanford in September."

A "transition period" to me implies some contact, not severing all ties. "Soon" to me means she's not slamming her locker shut.

victoriaheidi
05-08-2011, 06:02 PM

Ok, I'm having a hard time finding the article, but the quote from Tom said something along the lines of, "we may still work together on weekends or other periods. We've discussed it and we're going to work something out."

This could be complete hogwash, but no matter how much we dislike Tom, the Flatts love him.