PDA

View Full Version : Rachael's plans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Cheylana
05-06-2011, 05:40 PM
If Rachael gets a new coach, I'd be interested to see if that makes a difference in her artistry. She might have an Angela Nikodinov-style transformation with the right guidance.

RD
05-06-2011, 05:58 PM
She is capable of the presentation. I've seen it in her exhibitions.

manleywoman
05-06-2011, 05:59 PM
I thought the plan was for Rachael to skip the GP circuit. She'll be insanely busy, but I'm glad she's making the commitment. As the article explains, it's possible: Debi Thomas did it. Though, I recall articles back in the 80s stating the Debi was only getting 5 1/2 hours of sleep a night :(

Debi also admitted in my podcast interview with her (http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-30-debi-thomas/) that she was the type of person who skated better when she had a lot on her plate, so it wasn't just all skating all the time in her head. Rachael may simply be wired the same way.

Louise
05-06-2011, 06:32 PM
If Rachael gets a new coach, I'd be interested to see if that makes a difference in her artistry. She might have an Angela Nikodinov-style transformation with the right guidance.

Hmm, Angela always had the goods. She did go out and ho-hum it, but you knew she was capable of greatness. It was clear Angela had "It". I was a closet Angela fan but she bummed it so many times I lost hope. I do not see the greatness that Angela could command in Rachael, unfortunately. I'm trying to think what route Rachael could follow. Beatrisa Liang was never pretty princess but had incredible programs. I don't think Rachael could even do a Beatrisa program.
I hope Rachael just retires, has a successful career at Stanford, and succeeds in her next path. Skating is not her thing, if she wants world recognition. (Not saying being 12th in the World is anything to sniff at, it's also an accomplishment).

Dilng
05-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Please Mirai,Agnes, Christina anybody make Rachael irrelevant for next season. I'm tired of watching her mediocre skating.

:rolleyes: Her skating isn't anymore mediocre then theirs -- face it we don't have any interesting lady skaters right now!!

Ziggy
05-06-2011, 07:19 PM
She is capable of the presentation. I've seen it in her exhibitions.

And a lot of her performances this season.

The biggest issue here is improving her basics and giving her the right programs. A bit more like the FS (even though it was far from perfect) and bit less like the both SP disasters this season.

Re: Louise's Liang comment. Beatrisa managed to find her niche. Rachael doesn't have the energy and perk that Beatrisa had, though.

euterpe
05-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Hmm, Angela always had the goods. She did go out and ho-hum it, but you knew she was capable of greatness. It was clear Angela had "It". I was a closet Angela fan but she bummed it so many times I lost hope. I do not see the greatness that Angela could command in Rachael, unfortunately. I'm trying to think what route Rachael could follow. Beatrisa Liang was never pretty princess but had incredible programs. I don't think Rachael could even do a Beatrisa program.
I hope Rachael just retires, has a successful career at Stanford, and succeeds in her next path. Skating is not her thing, if she wants world recognition. (Not saying being 12th in the World is anything to sniff at, it's also an accomplishment).

Beatrisa never won an international medal, incredible programs or not. She couldn't land her jumps. To me, an incredible program is not one where the skater falls on, pops or doubles lots of jumps. If a healthy Rachael did one of BeBe's programs, I am sure she would land those same jumps with no trouble.

IMO it's ridiculous to hold up BeBe as a wonderful example and then trash a skater who achieved far more internationally than BeBe ever did.

I think Rachael should do whatever it is she wants to do, and if that includes skating, that's fine with me.

Sylvia
05-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Beatrisa never won an international medal
While I understand your basic point, Liang did win a few international medals in her career ;):
2006 - Nebelhorn Trophy - 1st
2006 - Four Continents Championships - 3rd
2005 - Nebelhorn Trophy - 3rd
2002 - Junior Grand Prix (China) - 2nd
2002 - Junior Grand Prix (United States) - 2nd
2000 - Triglav Trophy, Novice - 1st

BTW, she's on Twitter now: http://twitter.com/bebeliang

Ziggy
05-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Beatrisa never won an international medal, incredible programs or not. She couldn't land her jumps. To me, an incredible program is not one where the skater falls on, pops or doubles lots of jumps. If a healthy Rachael did one of BeBe's programs, I am sure she would land those same jumps with no trouble.

IMO it's ridiculous to hold up BeBe as a wonderful example and then trash a skater who achieved far more internationally than BeBe ever did.

I think Rachael should do whatever it is she wants to do, and if that includes skating, that's fine with me.

What you're talking about is an incredible performance, whilst what people talked about previously were programs themselves.

Do you realise that it's much harder to generate speed and much harder to land your jumps if you have more complex choreography and/or transitions? Hence I wouldn't necessarily make the assumption that Rachael would easily land her jumps if she skated Liang's programs.

Oooh great to see she's studying Kinesiology and coaching. :)

Jenna
05-06-2011, 09:03 PM
The biggest issue here is improving her basics and giving her the right programs. A bit more like the FS (even though it was far from perfect) and bit less like the both SP disasters this season.

I actually think EOE was one of the best programs she's ever had. I really enjoyed it, especially at US Nationals. To me, the FS was just a mess. It looked like a lot of fake movements that she wasn't even comfortable doing.

Cheylana
05-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I saw EOE live at Nationals and then later on TV, and it definitely came across much better live. Her footwork was full of passion and worked the crowd into a frenzy. *shrug*

Really
05-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I hope Rachael gets healthy, comes back next year, and kicks ass all over the place!

olympic
05-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Debi also admitted in my podcast interview with her (http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-30-debi-thomas/) that she was the type of person who skated better when she had a lot on her plate, so it wasn't just all skating all the time in her head. Rachael may simply be wired the same way.

I'm betting you're right. I think Rachael and Debi do better when they are committed to a lot of things. People like that are perfectionists and when they don't have time to obsess, they perform more 'freely'; go out and do it well because there's no time to overthink things. IIRC, Debi took the year '87 - '88 off and her Olympic / Worlds performances were letdowns. Rachael is probably similar.

Jarrett
05-06-2011, 10:12 PM
While I understand your basic point, Liang did win a few international medals in her career ;):
2006 - Nebelhorn Trophy - 1st
2006 - Four Continents Championships - 3rd
2005 - Nebelhorn Trophy - 3rd
2002 - Junior Grand Prix (China) - 2nd
2002 - Junior Grand Prix (United States) - 2nd
2000 - Triglav Trophy, Novice - 1st

Sigh, she really could have won a lot more and 4CC in 2006 for sure. The short program was fantastic. One triple loop away from gold if I remember correctly. Honestly, Bebe may not have go to worlds as many times or the Olympics but when she lands the jumps she probably would have been marked higher than Rachael internationally. :slinkaway

Nekatiivi
05-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Rachael's biggets problems is her poor basics and the lack of speed. I do not think she can pull of a good program before she has worked on those issues.