PDA

View Full Version : Rachael's plans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Lacey
05-06-2011, 01:39 AM
That's my thought also, MoreIce, what coaches are in the area of Stanford?

P/K are dance coaches? She could use dance training, however, it's also about the jumps.

LilJen
05-06-2011, 01:51 AM
I am still wondering who she will find in the stanford area as a coach? My hopes are with Ponomarenko and Klimova only because they could definitely help the skating aspect of her skating!

I was just thinking this the other day--that ice dance lessons would do her a world of good. Had no clue who was in that area other than Kim Navarro started skating at the "Snoopy rink" in Santa Rosa. (Is that a haul from Stanford? My Bay Area geographic knowledge is limited.) (ETA: Santa Rosa IS a haul, but San Jose [where K/P teach] isn't.)

DickButtonFan
05-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Doesn't she have a serious injury? How is she going to work on a 3A then? I think she should take time off of the difficult jumps and heal. Then start getting more height on her 2A first.

Jenna
05-06-2011, 02:17 AM
To be fair, he was probably referring to her two GP medals (a first for Rachael) and her qualificaiton to the GPF (also a first for her).

I think that 5th in the world with very respectable placements in the GP (4 & 2) is much, much better.

Not to mention a junior world title..not sure what he means here. GPF or not, this has probably been Flatt's worst overall season ever!

IceAlisa
05-06-2011, 02:50 AM
Doesn't she have a serious injury? How is she going to work on a 3A then? I think she should take time off of the difficult jumps and heal. Then start getting more height on her 2A first.

The fracture will heal. But it doesn't mean that training a 3A is a wise idea. A dance and an edge coach would be what the doctor ordered. :P

Santa Rosa. (Is that a haul from Stanford? My Bay Area geographic knowledge is limited.) (ETA: Santa Rosa IS a haul, but San Jose [where K/P teach] isn't.) Yes, Santa Rosa is far but San Jose is right there, 10-15 minutes away.

Ziggy
05-06-2011, 02:58 AM
Full course load in chemical engineering at Stanford goes with the GP series about as well as a tibia fracture of the push-off leg goes with World Championships.

:rofl:

+3 GOE :D

Or maybe instead of wasting the summer practicing ridiculously hard jumps that cause injury (see all of her past summer training ideas) she should work with a dancer or trainer to improve her posture and take edge classes to learn how to actually skate and move across the ice with flow.

She's leaving Tom Z. Hopefully her new coach will care about the things you have mentioned and not just jumps.

hoptoad
05-06-2011, 03:05 AM
The fracture will heal. But it doesn't mean that training a 3A is a wise idea. A dance and an edge coach would be what the doctor ordered.

I agree. Besides, she also needs time to get new programs. I guess she could keep or just tweak the short, but she needs a new long program for sure. Has she said anything about music or choreography for next year?

Also, wasn't there another skater recently who majored in chemical engineering? Jeff Buttle?

FSfan107
05-06-2011, 03:33 AM
Buttle was majoring in chemical engineering, though I'm not sure if he has finished his degree yet.

Sasha'sSpins
05-06-2011, 04:32 AM
I don't think Flatt will be given any favors at next years Nationals, but if she does well in the GP circuit who knows? If she decides to compete another year, and defer college that's her decision to make. I won't be thrilled if Rachael's placed on a Worlds team over Mirai again, but I will say this - next year at Nationals, Nagasu better BRING IT. I don't see the judges doing her any favors either.

Good luck to Rachael whatever she may decide, and I do hope she is fully healed soon.

victoriaheidi
05-06-2011, 04:36 AM
I agree. Besides, she also needs time to get new programs. I guess she could keep or just tweak the short, but she needs a new long program for sure. Has she said anything about music or choreography for next year?

I almost think that Rachael would be best off keeping her short for one more season-she can perfect that while she figures out her FS for next year.

I can only hope that she chooses to leave Lori Nichol and seeks out a new choreographer. As for music, I've been pushing Harry Potter for Rachael, but I have no way of pushing that to her (only to you FSUers).

Sasha'sSpins
05-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Rachael is only 17 years old. If she chooses to skate full-time, couldn't she improve and get higher PCS scores?

Flatt is 9 months older than Nagasu and more than a year younger than Wagner. For everyone who thinks that Flatt should quit at 17, do you think that Nagasu should quit next year? Should Wagner have quit last year? Davis and White attend the University of Michigan. Czisny competed while attending and graduating from college. If Rachel wants to continue to skate, I'm certain she's plenty smart enough to figure out how to do it.

Rachael's 18. She was born in 1992, and turns 19 this year July 21.

ETA: Oops! Nevermind! Sorry, I didn't realize this was an old thread that had been bumpet til too late!

I'm bumping up an older Rachael thread for its more relevant title -- here's the latest article in the Colorado Springs Gazette (May 5): http://www.gazette.com/sports/stanford-117566-broadmoor-done.html
Excerpts:

Now you tell me! :lol:

IceJunkie
05-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Thank God Rachael is getting away from Tom Z. I have a feeling she'll kind of fade out of the scene like Emily given her commitments to college, but it is possible that she could still compete a high level, but she has a lot to work on. Alissa did it...but in all fairness chemical engineering seems words harder than a social science degree.

Anyone know Mirai's plans for the next year? She's graduating from high school, right?

Sasha'sSpins
05-06-2011, 06:48 AM
A triple axel should do wonders for her stress fracture!! :confused:

Full course load in chemical engineering at Stanford goes with the GP series about as well as a tibia fracture of the push-off leg goes with World Championships.

Thank God Rachael is getting away from Tom Z. I have a feeling she'll kind of fade out of the scene like Emily given her commitments to college, but it is possible that she could still compete a high level, but she has a lot to work on. Alissa did it...but in all fairness chemical engineering seems words harder than a social science degree.

Anyone know Mirai's plans for the next year? She's graduating from high school, right?

I think the 'triple axel' bit is just a reporter with little knowledge of skating throwing out perhaps one of the better known jumps out there for the story. I hope. I certainly do not think Rachael will ever be attempting triple axels, and certainly not on a leg that's still healing up a stress fracture of the tibia.

Rachael getting away from Tom Z is some of the best news I've read yet. Who knows-perhaps a better coach can do wonders with Flatt? And yes, there ARE imo much better coaches out there than Tom Z. On the other hand, a full course load combined with elite sport-that's not easy but it HAS been done. Again, best of luck to Rachael.

olympic
05-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I thought the plan was for Rachael to skip the GP circuit. She'll be insanely busy, but I'm glad she's making the commitment. As the article explains, it's possible: Debi Thomas did it. Though, I recall articles back in the 80s stating the Debi was only getting 5 1/2 hours of sleep a night :(

I agree with other posters who say that Rachael needs to focus on other issues and not concentrate on a 3x. She needs a coach who helps revamp her stroking; get down into the knees more. That will do wonders for her.

BTW, Does anyone know the elite coaches located in the Bay Area that she could feasibly go to??

Jammers
05-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Please Mirai,Agnes, Christina anybody make Rachael irrelevant for next season. I'm tired of watching her mediocre skating.