PDA

View Full Version : Rachael's plans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

azurika
11-01-2010, 03:32 AM
I hope she just goes to college and remember her competitive skating career fondly. She was a US champ and an Olympian. I'm not sure she could ever repeat as either. She's a sweet girl, very academically oriented, it's time for her to major in math and forget about skating. IMO.

ok, kinda late to the party here, but as a svelte blonde Californian with a BA in math, I take offense at that! :D For the record, no, I'm not affiliated with Team Flatt in any way, but did love her Brahms SP back in 08(?) and wish she'd do some more classical stuff, all this Big Band/Jazz/Broadway stuff is cool and all, but gets old after a while.

Sylvia
11-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Phil Hersh: Good break for Flatt: she hasn't got one (http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2010/11/good-break-for-flatt-she-hasnt-got-one.html)

Flatt had both an x-ray and MRI upon returning to her training base in Colorado Springs Monday. ... the tests revealed no break but did show inflammation and some swelling in three tendons.
So Flatt will stay off the ice until at least Saturday.

Cheylana
11-18-2010, 09:58 PM
ok, kinda late to the party here, but as a svelte blonde Californian with a BA in math, I take offense at that! :D For the record, no, I'm not affiliated with Team Flatt in any way, but did love her Brahms SP back in 08(?) and wish she'd do some more classical stuff, all this Big Band/Jazz/Broadway stuff is cool and all, but gets old after a while.
It was the 06-07 season, and I loved it too! :)

Sylvia
05-05-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm bumping up an older Rachael thread for its more relevant title -- here's the latest article in the Colorado Springs Gazette (May 5): http://www.gazette.com/sports/stanford-117566-broadmoor-done.html
Excerpts:

A 2010 Olympian, Flatt, 18, will take a family vacation to Hawaii over the summer, work on her triple axel at the University of Delaware’s high performance center, participate in a freshman orientation at Stanford and look for a new coach in the Bay Area. Her parents have put their Springs home up for sale, with intentions of moving back to San Diego.

Flatt aims for a full load of courses in chemical engineering her initial quarter at Stanford, and she plans on competing in the Grand Prix series that runs from October to December. She also has circled the U.S. Championships in January in San Jose, Calif., a qualifier for the Four Continents Championships in February at World Arena and worlds in March in Nice, France.
“It will be a great opportunity for me to be a little more independent.”

Cheylana
05-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Full load of courses in chemical engineering plus training for GP events and Nationals? And she'll be training a triple axel this summer? Wow, it doesn't sound like Flatt plans to retire any time soon!!!

Jenna
05-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Triple axel? :lol: Maybe she should put out a 3-3 first..

Loves_Shizuka
05-05-2011, 10:53 PM
What exactly is chemical engineering?

judgejudy27
05-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Rachael can do what she wants but I doubt she will even make the World team next season.

Anita18
05-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Not sure, but it involves a lot of really hard classes, including lab classes which eats up most of an afternoon. :P

LilJen
05-05-2011, 11:00 PM
A triple axel should do wonders for her stress fracture!! :confused:

sequinsgalore
05-05-2011, 11:07 PM

I study chemical engineering! Wow, I admire her for doing this AND figure skating at the same time. I don't know how it works at Stanford, but where I study you spend whole afternoons in the lab, and you fluke if you don't attend...

When will she have time to skate? During the night and weekends? I suppose she could skip lectures and group studies and just read those things up on her own...

IceAlisa
05-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Full course load in chemical engineering at Stanford goes with the GP series about as well as a tibia fracture of the push-off leg goes with World Championships.

orbitz
05-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Full course load in chemical engineering at Stanford goes with the GP series about as well as a tibia fracture of the push-off leg goes with World Championships.

Hey, if James Franco can go for a PhD, teach classes at NYU, writes books, appears in films, directs college plays and short films, etc. all within the same time frame then why can't Rachael? :)

...there might be a cell phone pic or two of Rachael falling asleep during classes though :lol:

IceAlisa
05-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Hey, if James Franco can go for a PhD, teach classes at NYU, writes books, appears in films, directs college plays and short films, etc. all within the same time frame then why can't Rachael? :)

Have you by any chance seen the Oscars this year?

sequinsgalore is right--with labs you just can't miss any otherwise you won't get credit for the course.

barbk
05-05-2011, 11:20 PM
The triple axel sounds...unlikely, to be charitable, and unwise given the stress fracture. Not getting hooked in with a new coach this summer in the Palo Alto area sounds even less desirable.

But as for the labs -- many Stanford athletes major in sciences, and somehow Stanford manages to make the labs work for them. I don't see that Flatt's experience should be different than any of the swimmers who regularly get sent to international competitions during Stanford's school year.