PDA

View Full Version : Rachael's plans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Sylvia
10-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Rachael Flatt held a teleconference with reporters today and talked about her performance at NHK, upcoming goals for Skate America, and her future plans (so I figured it was appropriate to bump up this old thread ;)).

Excerpt:

"In April, when I was making my decision on which college [to attend], I looked at my schedule for the next couple of months and realized I wasn't going to be home much," she said.

"I decided to take a little bit more time to make sure I set myself up well at a new training center [next season]. I need another year to kind of relax, take a breather...It's nice this year not having to stretch myself incredibly thin."

Returning to California, her home state, means a new training center, rink mates and schedule, all issues Flatt plans to deal with after this season ends.

"I think I'll spend some time next summer researching new training facilities, new places to work out, new physical therapy clinics, to make sure I'm all set up before I leave [for Stanford]," she said.

Marco
10-29-2010, 02:51 AM
It's nice this year not having to stretch myself incredibly thin

:shuffle:

Does it sound like she is planning on continuing skating beyond this season?

FSWer
10-29-2010, 05:12 AM
I hope she keeps skating. She's one of my Idols!!! BTW. does anyone know if she signs her own autogragh to pics and things? I got an autograghed pic. from her and was trying to figure out if it's really her signure.

Sylvia
10-29-2010, 05:28 AM
BTW. does anyone know if she signs her own autogragh to pics and things? I got an autograghed pic. from her and was trying to figure out if it's really her signure.
How nice that you got an autographed picture from Rachael! :) I'm pretty sure she's the type of person who would sign her own photos for her fans.

tangerine_dream
10-29-2010, 05:35 AM
I hope she just goes to college and remember her competitive skating career fondly. She was a US champ and an Olympian. I'm not sure she could ever repeat as either. She's a sweet girl, very academically oriented, it's time for her to major in math and forget about skating. IMO.

I agree that she's probably achieved all that she can competitively, however that doesn't necessarily mean she should quit. If she still gets enjoyment out of competing then even if she didn't so much as place at Nationals, that would be fine. A lot can be learned outside of the classroom, and competing in figure skating is not something she will be able to do forever, unlike school which really doesn't have an age limit. Deferring for a year (or more) would allow her to continue something she obviously loves, without giving up schooling (which she also seems to love) in the long run.

It's not all about medals.

I disagree with that. She isn't as good as Mirai, but she's arguably the second best US lady. I know everyone gets sick of hearing about her consistency, but it is a huge competitive advantage. She's also only seventeen, so she does still have some time to grow as a skater. I think it's too early to write her off.

I don't think she's the second best U.S lady. I mean it depends what you judge that upon. She might get some of the better results, but that doesn't make her a better skater. I was looking at Regionals Senior ladies and many girls are much more interesting to look at on the ice than Rachael is. When I see Rachael I usually skip her program, but when I don't I see someone whom I find boring, heavy, ungraceful, inexpressive, uncreative, and well...I just don't enjoy her skating at all. It's always the same predictable styles of program for her, as well. I just don't think she has what it takes to "grow further" as a skater...I don't think the potential for amazing emotional performances are there. She's a very hard worker which is how she got to where she is, but she's not one of those girls who naturally has "it", and unlike someone like Yu-Na Kim who until a few years ago had incredibly boring programs but had it in her to build a whole package, I think of Rachael as very much someone who can do what is adequate to advance, but never be a true performer- I just don't think that is where her heart is. I think that despite her young age, she might have gone as far as she's going to go.

As I said before though, even if what I think were to be correct, that DOESN'T mean I think she should stop competing. I just don't think it's realistic to expect much more to come out of her. But what she's put out is more than most skater ever will, so that's no slight to her.

RockTheTassel
10-29-2010, 06:00 AM
I don't think she's the second best U.S lady. I mean it depends what you judge that upon. She might get some of the better results, but that doesn't make her a better skater. I was looking at Regionals Senior ladies and many girls are much more interesting to look at on the ice than Rachael is. When I see Rachael I usually skip her program, but when I don't I see someone whom I find boring, heavy, ungraceful, inexpressive, uncreative, and well...I just don't enjoy her skating at all. It's always the same predictable styles of program for her, as well. I just don't think she has what it takes to "grow further" as a skater...I don't think the potential for amazing emotional performances are there. She's a very hard worker which is how she got to where she is, but she's not one of those girls who naturally has "it", and unlike someone like Yu-Na Kim who until a few years ago had incredibly boring programs but had it in her to build a whole package, I think of Rachael as very much someone who can do what is adequate to advance, but never be a true performer- I just don't think that is where her heart is. I think that despite her young age, she might have gone as far as she's going to go.

As I said before though, even if what I think were to be correct, that DOESN'T mean I think she should stop competing. I just don't think it's realistic to expect much more to come out of her. But what she's put out is more than most skater ever will, so that's no slight to her.

I think this season will tell whether or not Rachael has peaked or has more to offer. It's her chance to finally commit to skating entirely, without the pressures and demands of school. Based on what she's done so far this season, I would agree with you. Her programs look like the same old thing, and I don't expect much improvement, technical or artistic. However, the season has only just begun, so we'll see.

At this point, though, I would still call her the second best US lady. She got second at NHK, easily beating two of her main US rivals. There are several skaters with potential to overtake her, but it clearly hasn't happened yet.

tangerine_dream
10-30-2010, 10:42 PM
True, she gets to dedicate herself fully to skating so that might change some things. Unfortunately it seems she's using jazz/Broadway style again for the short, and ballet music for the long. :(

barbk
10-30-2010, 11:06 PM
My guess is that waiting until next summer to get training arrangements sorted out doesn't bode too well for future competitions, though Stanford doesn't start until late September.

FSWer
10-31-2010, 12:42 AM
True, she gets to dedicate herself fully to skating so that might change some things. Unfortunately it seems she's using jazz/Broadway style again for the short, and ballet music for the long. :(

Unfortunately? What's wrong with her music?

orbitz
10-31-2010, 01:24 AM

"Slaughter on 10th Avenue" was THE overused music of the 80s. I can't believe someone is skating to it in 2010/2011.

FSWer
10-31-2010, 01:44 AM
"Slaughter on 10th Avenue" was THE overused music of the 80s. I can't believe someone is skating to it in 2010/2011.

Well,as long as there's nothing in the Rulebook,or as long as judges can't use that to deside if a Program was good,then...go for it. Hey we still have music from the 50's and 60's being played by DJ's and Radio these days. Take "Johnny Be Good" from Back to the Future for example.As that song IS from the 50's.

victoriaheidi
10-31-2010, 02:12 AM
I LOVE Rachael's jazz/Broadway-ish programs.

peibeck
10-31-2010, 02:20 AM

:lol: In case you missed it, the 80's ended decades ago. It hasn't been used so much since. I'd be whining if she were doing yet another tango... or "Carmen"... or "Tosca" like so many of the other skaters.

Schmeck
10-31-2010, 02:27 AM

She tends to skate to the same tempo/style music every year. She needs to try something different, as she doesn't seem to 'get' the music she has skated to so far.

Any idea on what type of engineering she's looking to major in? Bio-engineering is a competitive field. Or perhaps chemical engineering, mechanical, marine or even nuclear. Those are the only ones I can think of right now (since daughter #1 is studying bioeng, daughter #2 is thinking of chemeng, and hubby is a combo marine/mech engineer, working on the nuclear engineering. Me, I'm a SpEd tutor, surrounded by engineers!)

victoriaheidi
10-31-2010, 04:11 AM
Any idea on what type of engineering she's looking to major in?

I believe it's biomechanical.