PDA

View Full Version : Rachael's plans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

LuckyCharm
05-04-2010, 03:05 AM
Guess nobody caught the obscure refererence. Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc_iWPnjtCI and advance to the last 30 seconds of the skit.

:rofl:I just thought you were drunk!

DanRad
05-04-2010, 06:14 AM
What's her plan again?
2010 - skating
2011 - school
2012 - school?
2013 - Likely skating
2014 - DEFINITELY skating - Nats and hopefully Olys
2015 - school again.
Might work.

I thought she wanted to be MD. If so, she just needs the 2-yr pre-req done before she can apply for Med School. She can do it.

rococo
05-04-2010, 08:18 AM
San Jose maybe?

There is (was?) rink in Belmont where Brian Boitano had been training.

silverstars
05-04-2010, 04:21 PM
What's her plan again?
2010 - skating
2011 - school
2012 - school?
2013 - Likely skating
2014 - DEFINITELY skating - Nats and hopefully Olys
2015 - school again.
Might work.

I thought she wanted to be MD. If so, she just needs the 2-yr pre-req done before she can apply for Med School. She can do it.

I think that most med schools, unless you're enrolled in a special undergrad/grad program within the school, like to see an undergraduate degree.

Congrats to her, though! Stanford is an excellent school. I think that she's making a smart decision with her deferral.

carriecmu0503
05-04-2010, 04:40 PM
I think that most med schools, unless you're enrolled in a special undergrad/grad program within the school, like to see an undergraduate degree.

Congrats to her, though! Stanford is an excellent school. I think that she's making a smart decision with her deferral.

As a former pre-med advisor for an Ivy League school, I can say that Silver Stars is correct in that med schools do want an undergrad degree. They want people who are well rounded, and an undergrad degree that includes some liberal arts in addition to the pre req sciences is generally vital in gaining entry to medical school. The schools will also want to see involvement in a relevant co-curricular organization or two, as well as related volunteer medical experience.

DanRad
05-04-2010, 04:56 PM

It's strongly recommended to get an undergrad degree (of course, to be competitive), but surprisingly it's not required. I went through the initial phase of applying for Med school myself until I switched to something easier :D. Med Schools look for the minimum Gen Ed courses before you can apply, which can be completed in 2 to 3 yrs, as well as min GPA. I forgot, she also need MCAT score.

mgobluegirl
05-04-2010, 07:38 PM
It's strongly recommended to get an undergrad degree (of course, to be competitive), but surprisingly it's not required. I went through the initial phase of applying for Med school myself until I switched to something easier :D. Med Schools look for the minimum Gen Ed courses before you can apply, which can be completed in 2 to 3 yrs, as well as min GPA. I forgot, she also need MCAT score.

It's not a requirement across the board, but I think that many schools do require it. When I decided on a school my acceptance was contingent upon graduation.

Sylvia
05-05-2010, 01:36 AM
Denver Post follow-up article (May 4): http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15011075

Press release from Fireworks Sports Marketing (April 30): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100430&content_id=9691080&vkey=ice_pressrelease

MacMadame
05-05-2010, 04:57 AM
There is (was?) rink in Belmont where Brian Boitano had been training.
Decades ago. That rink is now quite decrepit. It's also smaller than NHL size which makes training triple jumps there problematic.

Brian mostly skates at the rink in SF these days, though I've seen him in Oakland before.

The big rinks with the coaches who get skaters to Nationals are Oakland and San Jose. SJ is the easiest to get to from Stanford. Yerba Buena may be an option as well but I think logistics could be a problem.

Sylvia
06-08-2010, 01:33 AM
Kids' Questions with Rachael Flatt (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Magazine.asp?id=57&issue=44716) (Skating Magazine June/July 2010 issue)

I am excited about taking a gap year and focusing on my skating, but I am also extremely excited about beginning my college classwork in the autumn of 2011 at Stanford, and I will most likely focus on engineering. There are many rinks in the Bay Area and I am looking forward to finding a training schedule at the local rinks that works into my class schedule.
I have several goals for the upcoming season. Most importantly, I want to keep improving and growing as a skater. Specifically, I want to improve my speed, achieve a more refined style and presence on the ice, and work on my carriage/posture. I incurred a back injury four years ago, and now that I have a little time because I'm not starting school until the autumn of 2011, I will have more time to work on getting my back healthy, and hopefully regaining some flexibility through site specific-therapy and training.

kwanfan1818
06-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Thank you, Sylvia!

That's great news for her.

RockTheTassel
06-08-2010, 02:13 AM
Rachael seems focused on improving her weaknesses and giving skating her full attention this coming season. Good for her. It'll be interesting to see how she does now that she doesn't have school to think about.

Theatregirl1122
06-08-2010, 05:38 AM
As far as major choices go, engineering and serious competitive skating will be a very hard go.

Anita18
06-08-2010, 06:39 AM
As far as major choices go, engineering and serious competitive skating will be a very hard go.
Depends on her aptitude for it. It would certainly drive me insane, but both my bf and my cousin majored in engineering and it was literally a walk in the park for them.

Debbie S
06-08-2010, 02:27 PM
As far as major choices go, engineering and serious competitive skating will be a very hard go.Both Andrea Best and Trevor Young were engineering majors and competed through college, including 2 Senior seasons....although they didn't do GPs and weren't quite at Rachael's level in terms of number of comps and travel during the school year.