PDA

View Full Version : Rachael's plans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

DanRad
04-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Thank you, I thought that might be the case. Google maps says it's a 45-minute drive but I had a feeling traffic could be terrible. Rachael seems like a west coast girl (she is originally from CA), so my guess is that she'll end up at Stanford unless she's super committed to doing both international-level skating and college at the same time (which I don't think is possible), in which case Princeton is probably the best choice.

45-min? HA! Not even. Expect a good 1-h to 2-h drive. I travel 26 miles to Oakland, and it's close to an 1 hour drive during off-peak hours (after 10 am). I still think she'll pick Stanford or UCLA. As I said, she's originally from BEAUTIFUL Del Mar CA, near San Diego. She's bound to pick a CA school.

Verbalgirl77
04-03-2010, 11:02 PM
I like Rachel and I'll admit I'm intrigued by the possible Princeton / Zmevskaya option. Hmm...

MacMadame
04-03-2010, 11:30 PM
San Jose is really closer to Stanford, in actual travel time. A lot of Stanford kids skate at Ice Oasis in Redwood City. There aren't big name coaches there but there are some really good ones including ones who have coached skaters who made it to Nationals. The big issue is that it's a small rink so doing triples is problematic. Same with Belmont (which has some SCSF coaches) and San Mateo (basically a mall rink).

So her best bet is San Jose -- 4 ice surfaces all NLH size. On top of the other coaches mentioned, there is also Justin Dillon.

Anita18
04-04-2010, 01:10 AM
San Jose is really closer to Stanford, in actual travel time. A lot of Stanford kids skate at Ice Oasis in Redwood City. There aren't big name coaches there but there are some really good ones including ones who have coached skaters who made it to Nationals. The big issue is that it's a small rink so doing triples is problematic. Same with Belmont (which has some SCSF coaches) and San Mateo (basically a mall rink).

So her best bet is San Jose -- 4 ice surfaces all NLH size. On top of the other coaches mentioned, there is also Justin Dillon.
Nevermind, I think you edited your post while I was responding. :P

Logitech Ice at San Jose IS very nice, and the ice is very nice too. I saw Justin Dillon coaching there years ago, trying to teach this poor little skater a complicated footwork sequence that he made look easy and she was like, "WTF?" :rofl:

azskatefan
04-05-2010, 04:14 AM
FYI: The other school that apparently did not accept her is Duke.

The Fly On The Wall
04-05-2010, 08:54 AM

Their loss.

Dr.Siouxs
04-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I like Rachel and I'll admit I'm intrigued by the possible Princeton / Zmevskaya option. Hmm...

:watch:

olympic
04-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I have to admit that I would also be intrigued if Rachael goes to someone like Zmevskaya. On the one hand, she needs some pizzazz and a different POV. But OTOH, I don't know if Zmevskaya would be a good fit to Rachael's persona. Rachael isn't in need of an iron fist. She is very self motivated. And I don't know how well Zmevskaya could show off Rachael's strong points: cutesy, fresh, all-American HS gal. Then again, she gave Oksana Baiul 'cutesy' and 'fresh' [good fit, badly structured program]

Would Robin W. be so bad? Robin strikes me as someone who would ideally work well with a consistent, self-motivated, skater [like Sarah Hughes, unlike Sasha] who already comes to her without flutzes and ur's [unlike Sarah Hughes]. Still, what could she do for Rachael's edging and speed?

Christy Ness did great with Kristi Yamaguchi, helping get Chen Lu in shape for Nagano '98, and Beatrisa Liang IMO was at her best with Christy. This would be the best fit!

Debbie S
04-05-2010, 02:51 PM
FYI: The other school that apparently did not accept her is Duke.It's possible that she may not have ended up applying to Duke and Harvard. I know they are listed on her website with the others, but it's possible that she gave that list to her webmaster in the fall, and then as she was filling out apps, decided not to apply after all - it happens. I don't believe Harvard's strengths are in the sciences (then again, I don't think Yale's are either - I think Princeton gets that nod) and maybe she decided Duke wasn't close enough to a major training center. Also, Harvard requires students to take a full course load freshman year (not sure about the others) so maybe Rachael decided it would be difficult to combine school and skating if she went there.

I guess I can understand Harvard not accepting her, but I can't imagine that Duke wouldn't.

carriecmu0503
04-05-2010, 06:17 PM
It's possible that she may not have ended up applying to Duke and Harvard. I know they are listed on her website with the others, but it's possible that she gave that list to her webmaster in the fall, and then as she was filling out apps, decided not to apply after all - it happens. I don't believe Harvard's strengths are in the sciences (then again, I don't think Yale's are either - I think Princeton gets that nod) and maybe she decided Duke wasn't close enough to a major training center. Also, Harvard requires students to take a full course load freshman year (not sure about the others) so maybe Rachael decided it would be difficult to combine school and skating if she went there.

I guess I can understand Harvard not accepting her, but I can't imagine that Duke wouldn't.

Sometimes schools won't accept a person if they think that student is not likely to ultimately end up choosing to go there. Duke may have looked at Rachael's record and decided she was likely to get accepted at and choose to attend an Ivy- Universities do that to protect their "yield"- which means the percentage of accepted students who actually enroll.

Lacey
04-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Also, remember that we do not yet know if she is going to continue skating. She might "just" go to college.

freezin'rinkmom
04-05-2010, 08:01 PM

Guess Rachael won't be a Blue Devil! :lol:

Jayar
04-05-2010, 08:35 PM
PML that FSU is putting more thought into Rachael's college selection than she likely will.

Has anyone given it a thought that Rachael might stay with Tom Z. even if she is out of the area? It would be easy enough for him to send her a training plan on a weekly basis, and there are tons of coaches who could fill in the gaps for her... Just sayin'...

OliviaPug
04-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Also, remember that we do not yet know if she is going to continue skating. She might "just" go to college.

I thought Rachael said she was going to continue skating and try to make it to Sochi.

O-

gkelly
04-05-2010, 08:55 PM
PML that FSU is putting more thought into Rachael's college selection than she likely will.

Well, smart as it is, Rachael only has one brain with which to put in such thought.

FSU has many brains, a small percentage of which care enough about the issue to spend time on.