PDA

View Full Version : Rachael's plans

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

olympic
04-03-2010, 03:32 PM
stanford, UCLA, DU, yale, dartmouth, johns hopkins, and princeton!!!!!

So, has anyone done a tally of the top ranked coaches who are in the neighborhood of each of these schools? I will guess but if someone could correct me....

Stanford [Bay area] - Christy Ness? Alex McGowan [if he still coaches]
UCLA [LA] - FC, but he's moving to Palm Springs eventually? There are several others, I'm sure.
Yale [CT.] - drawing a blank....
Dartmouth [NH] - No one?
Johns Hopkins [MD] - whoever Kimmie is now with. Or Priscilla Hill up in DE? Kimmie's old coach, Pamela something? Also, isn't Audrey Weisinger nearby in the DC area?
Princeton [NJ] - Zmevskaya?

Not saying that I prefer one or the other, but this is who I could think of.

DanRad
04-03-2010, 04:33 PM
So, has anyone done a tally of the top ranked coaches who are in the neighborhood of each of these schools? I will guess but if someone could correct me....

Stanford [Bay area] - Christy Ness? Alex McGowan [if he still coaches]

Others: Rudy Galindo and Sergei Ponomarenko (his DUI may taint him a bit, :eek:)

Stephanie
04-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Who's coaching in Simsbury, CT these days? That's about an hour from New Haven, I think.

silverstars
04-03-2010, 05:11 PM
So that means Harvard and one other school did not accept her. WTF? What do you have to do to get in if going to the Olympics and having a 4.0 isn't enough? :)

I'm surprised that Harvard didn't accept her. Usually schools are all over the opportunities to say "And this famous person is going to be a part of your class too!" They did have a 6% acceptance rate this year, though, so maybe their policies about accepting big names changed? Although from what I've heard from my friends who are there, a lot of Harvard is now based on reputation--their undergraduate programs aren't quite as good as their graduate ones are, so she's probably not missing much, especially considering the other schools that she got into.

If I were her, I'd go with Stanford, Princeton, or Yale (that said, I am a very biased Ivy League snob :) ). I don't know Stanford very well, but Princeton has rinks, a cute (although pricey) town, and is relatively close to NYC (internships!). Yale also has a nice rink and proximity to NYC, although New Haven itself is a bit of a dump (to quote Gilmore Girls: "You know the inside of the coffee maker after we've had all of the coffee? That's what New Haven looks like."). I think that Princeton tends to be a bit more secluded and has more of that old-money Ivy thing than Yale does (although all of the Ivies still retain a bit of that reputation) because of their weird dining clubs, but both places have gorgeous campuses and pretty nice dorms. Dartmouth has a nice rink and good skating team too, but it's literally in the middle of nowhere, and she doesn't strike me as someone who would be really invested in Greek life.

If she's going to go for it and take a full year off of skating, I'd hope that she goes with the place that she likes the most, not necessarily the location with the best coaches/facilities (although I'm thinking that a nearby ice rink is, regardless, still a must).

olympic
04-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Who's coaching in Simsbury, CT these days? That's about an hour from New Haven, I think.

Thanks, I forgot about the Simsbury rink. I drew a blank but knew that there was a hi-profile rink in CT.

Yes. Who is there these days?

pinky166
04-03-2010, 05:24 PM

I think Morozov, I know Miki was training in Simsbury before the Olympics. Morozov is moving to Russia next season though. If he wasn't, that would have been another potential coach for Rachael if she chose Princeton.

Also, doesn't Amanda Dobbs live in the San Fran/Palo Alto area? Who are her coaches? Maybe Rachael could train with them.

UCLA she has a lot of options, I don't know about where everything is in relation to the school but there's Artunian, Congemi, Li, and the other coaches at the All-Year FSC rinks.

Sylvia
04-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Vladimir Petrenko (Viktor's younger brother) is the best known singles coach in Simsbury, CT, and his wife Elena is a choreographer. Vadim Naumov and Evgenia Shishkova still coach there, too.

Amanda Dobbs still represents Peninsula SC in San Jose, but has been living and training in the L.A. area for the past several years. ETA: Here's the link to a GSD thread from before the Olympics with an article that's still online: What happened to the SF Bay Area as a figure skating hotbed? (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71362)
The article mentions that Alex McGowan "now coaches part time in Baltimore."

Robin Wagner still coaches out of Hackensack, NJ.

barbk
04-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Well, I assume that if she picks Dartmouth that she's effectively declaring an end to her competitive skating career. Great college, but tough to get too and from and not much in the way of a competitive coaching scene.

I really, really hope that she stays far away from Robin Wagner if she goes to Princeton.

pinky166
04-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Vladimir Petrenko (Viktor's younger brother) is the best known singles coach in Simsbury, CT, and his wife Elena is a choreographer. Vadim Naumov and Evgenia Shishkova still coach there, too.

Amanda Dobbs still represents Peninsula SC in San Jose, but has been living and training in the L.A. area for the past several years. ETA: Here's the link to a GSD thread from before the Olympics with an article that's still online: What happened to the SF Bay Area as a figure skating hotbed? (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71362)
The article mentions that Alex McGowan "now coaches part time in Baltimore."

Robin Wagner still coaches out of Hackensack, NJ.

Thanks for the info. San Jose is only about a half hour from Stanford, are there any good coaches at the Penninsula SC? If so, that would be fairly easy for Rachael to get to and from if she picks Stanford.

Debbie S
04-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Stanford - Christy Ness? [B]Alex McGowan [if he still coaches]
UCLA [LA] - FC, but he's moving to Palm Springs eventually? There are several others, I'm sure.
Yale [CT.] - drawing a blank....
Dartmouth [NH] - No one?
Johns Hopkins [MD] - whoever Kimmie is now with. Or Priscilla Hill up in DE? Kimmie's old coach, Pamela something? Also, isn't Audrey Weisinger nearby in the DC area?
Princeton [NJ] - Zmevskaya?As Sylvia said, Alex McGowan coaches in the Baltimore area. His (much younger) wife is from the area originally, and they moved here with their children about 8-9 years ago or so. But he doesn't do much coaching anymore, and based on what I've seen and heard, I wouldn't recommend him. :shuffle:

Kimmie now works with Chris Conte. He has worked with a lot of top skaters, including Tim Goebel and Tommy Steenberg. I think he splits his time between Fairfax (Audrey Weisiger's rink, in No. VA) and other rinks in the Baltimore/DC area. Kimmie's old coach is Pam Gregory, still at UD. Priscilla Hill is at Wilmington, along with Karl Kurtz.

There are a couple of coaches in the Baltimore area that have taken skaters to Junior Nats and Nats, but they have not coached a top Senior-level skater.

To get to either the DC area or DE, Rachael would need a car, and I don't think JHU allows cars on campus, at least not for freshmen, but I imagine she could get special permission based on her situation. I've heard of it happening at other schools.

Jot the Dot Dot
04-03-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't see a double chin? All I see are chubby cheeks a la Irina Slutskaya. :lol:

Yes, and so what? If I could give her one kiss on each cheek for every day of the year, I would say YES!

Stephanie
04-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Does Natalia Dubova still coach in Stamford, CT? Working with her a day or so a week could really help Rachael with her speed and edges.

How long is the drive from Stanford to Oakland (where Christy Ness coaches)?

PRlady
04-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Does Natalia Dubova still coach in Stamford, CT? Working with her a day or so a week could really help Rachael with her speed and edges.

How long is the drive from Stanford to Oakland (where Christy Ness coaches)?

Amazingly far in traffic. Which is most of the time. I have a friend who lives in Alameda -- when she was working in Palo Alto she stayed over in a tiny apartment on weeknights so as not to have to get up at 4:30 AM to make it to work on time.

But my old high school boyfriend teaches at Stanford Law and two of his kids went there. It's a really jock-friendly campus, gorgeous weather and a CO girl might be happier there than at uptight east coast schools.

Stephanie
04-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Amazingly far in traffic. Which is most of the time. I have a friend who lives in Alameda -- when she was working in Palo Alto she stayed over in a tiny apartment on weeknights so as not to have to get up at 4:30 AM to make it to work on time.

But my old high school boyfriend teaches at Stanford Law and two of his kids went there. It's a really jock-friendly campus, gorgeous weather and a CO girl might be happier there than at uptight east coast schools.

Thank you, I thought that might be the case. Google maps says it's a 45-minute drive but I had a feeling traffic could be terrible. Rachael seems like a west coast girl (she is originally from CA), so my guess is that she'll end up at Stanford unless she's super committed to doing both international-level skating and college at the same time (which I don't think is possible), in which case Princeton is probably the best choice.

loopey
04-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Vladimir Petrenko (Viktor's younger brother) is the best known singles coach in Simsbury, CT, and his wife Elena is a choreographer.Never knew this. Did he compete too? Does he have any senior skaters we might have heard of? thx.