PDA

View Full Version : Beware mistresses of cheating spouses

Pages : [1] 2 3

Autumm_wind
03-25-2010, 03:23 PM
From Telegraph.co.uk: Wife's $9m victory in adultery case warns mistresses to 'lay off' (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7506789/Wifes-9m-victory-in-adultery-case-warns-mistresses-to-lay-off.html)
by Nick Allen

A US woman who won $9 million (6 million) in damages from her husband's alleged mistress said her legal victory sent a clear message to potential home-wreckers to "lay off".

Cynthia Shackelford, 60, a former teacher from North Carolina, was awarded the unprecedented sum by a jury in the United States for damages to her feelings under an obscure 19th century adultery law.

Mrs Shackelford took Miss Lundquist to court in Greensboro in North Carolina, one of seven states in America where the so-called "alienation of affection" law is still in force.

It evolved from common law under which women were classed as property of their husbands. As property, they were something that could be stolen. Both men and women are now able to sue under the law in North Carolina, Hawaii, Illinois, Mississippi, New Mexico, South Dakota and Utah.

Bolded by me.

How many FSUers are from North Carolina, Illinois, Mississippi, New Mexico, South Dakota, Utah or Hawaii? :shuffle:

bek
03-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Oooh... I'm wondering if Elin and Tiger own any houses in those particular states.

mpal2
03-25-2010, 03:56 PM
I wonder any of the states listed are the one that still allows a woman to marry her house? It had something to do with getting around the treatment as property and allowed single women to keep their homes.

orbitz
03-25-2010, 04:33 PM
This case and win are a joke. Pardon the cliche, but it takes two to tangle. People love to throw their public anger at the mistress(es) first, but no one forced the husband to have an affair. Take it out on the husband!

Andora
03-25-2010, 04:36 PM
This case and win are a joke. Pardon the cliche, but it takes two to tangle. People love to throw their public anger at the mistress(es) first, but no one forced the husband to have an affair. Take it out on the husband!

I agree, but it's much easier to blame the other woman nine times out of ten.

I hope the husband was taken to the cleaners if this woman was successfully sued.

milanessa
03-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Pardon the cliche, but it takes two to tangle.

I don't know if this was deliberate or a typo/brain fart but I love it! :lol:

skatingfan5
03-25-2010, 05:01 PM
I don't know if this was deliberate or a typo/brain fart but I love it! :lol:Not sure if it is the cheating spouse and the mistress/boyfriend or the cheated upon spouse and the other woman/man who are the ones doing the tangling. If the latter, I'm envisioning something that the WWF might try to market -- wife/mistress death match. :yikes:

milanessa
03-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Not sure if it is the cheating spouse and the mistress/boyfriend or the cheated upon spouse and the other woman/man who are the ones doing the tangling. If the latter, I'm envisioning something that the WWF might try to market -- wife/mistress death match. :yikes:

:lol:

numbers123
03-25-2010, 05:14 PM
So in essence she is saying he is worth 9 million dollars? Or that she is worth 9 million dollars to repair her self esteem?

I get it that she is angry, I get that she would want some revenge, but ? I am not sure what the real motive is here

mysticchic
03-25-2010, 05:17 PM
This might be a big settlement, but it happens a lot. I know of a laywer in Chicago who handles these cases and wins a lot.

bobalina77
03-25-2010, 06:42 PM
I think that as long as she went after him as well (by divorcing him and taking him to the cleaners) then power to her. I suppose she would have to prove that the mistress knew he was married though.

orbitz
03-25-2010, 07:01 PM
I don't know if this was deliberate or a typo/brain fart but I love it! :lol:

Um... I think my name will be put on the list of people who are undatable for mispelling and/or being careless with words :lol: I meant tango but now that you pointed out, I kind of like tangle better :biggrinbo.

berthesghost
03-25-2010, 07:12 PM
So in essence she is saying he is worth 9 million dollars? Or that she is worth 9 million dollars to repair her self esteem?

I get it that she is angry, I get that she would want some revenge, but ? I am not sure what the real motive is herethe jury set the award price, not the wife.

she probably won't get any of it, as the slut... sorry, I mean "other woman", isn't rich.

it may help her get some alimony from her well off deadbeat ex. though.

StonewshMullet
03-25-2010, 10:12 PM
The ex-husband came forward to defend the OW by stating that he had numerous affairs over the course of his marriage and that he had gone through marriage counseling on 3 different occasions and nothing worked. I think the OW did the wife a favor by taking his pathetic cheating ass of her hands. Let him be someone elses problem. That being said, this suit is designed to warn women who like to chase after married men that it may have a much higher price tag then you expect.

shan
03-25-2010, 10:18 PM
It must be something about that area. In the 90's there was an alienation of affection lawsuit in Burlington (less than 30 minutes from Greensboro). The wife in that case received $1 million dollars. And it was made into a TV movie with Park Overall and Laura Innes.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,986856-2,00.html