PDA

View Full Version : The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo--the movie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

IceAlisa
07-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Daniel Craig confirmed for Blomkvist role:
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/07/26/daniel-craig-officially-cast-in-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo/

I think that's a decent choice. Name actor but not HUGE star. Good-looking in a rugged, everyman kind of way. Not Brad Pitt.

Now everyone keep their fingers crossed that we don't end up with Kristen Stewart as Lisbeth.

I agree that he is a much better choice than Brad Pitt although Brad Pitt really is a great actor and not just a pretty boy.

Ellen Paige would be great for Lisbeth IMO. Not Kristen Stewart not Kristen Stewart not Kristen Stewart...

genevieve
07-27-2010, 05:47 PM
I agree that Brad Pitt is a very good actor...just not right for the role.

I've been going back and forth about Ellen Page. She is physically a good match, and anyone who has seen Hard Candy knows that she can handle dark material well (and rock short hair). My only fear about her is that she now has something of a "persona" in the films she's in, and I'm worried that, with her being a new Hollywood darling, she would not be allowed to take the character as far away from that persona (both physically and character-wise) as she would have been able to a couple of years ago.

I keep reminding myself that David Fincher is directing, and he does not shy away from difficulty, so hopefully it will be ok even if we end up with the dreaded KS

HisWeirness
07-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Ellen Paige would be great for Lisbeth IMO.
While I was watching Inception last weekend I was looking at her and though that physically she would be a good match for Lisbeth because she is very young looking and small-built.

CynicElle
07-27-2010, 06:06 PM
While I was watching Inception last weekend I was looking at her and though that physically she would be a good match for Lisbeth because she is very young looking and small-built.

Definitely. I like Ellen Page better than any of the other big-name possibilities I've heard.

I have no strong opinion on Daniel Craig one way or the other, which is probably just as well. At least it's not Brad Pitt -- nothing against him, but I couldn't picture him in that role at all. I always pictured Edward Norton when I was reading the book.

IceAlisa
07-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Also, if anyone has seen Ellen Page in Hard Candy, knows she can do intense roles. She was only 18 when she made that movie.

Oops, you beat me to it. :lol:

I've been going back and forth about Ellen Page. She is physically a good match, and anyone who has seen Hard Candy knows that she can handle dark material well (and rock short hair).

flyingsit
07-27-2010, 07:55 PM
I agree that Brad Pitt is a very good actor...just not right for the role.

Brad Pitt really shines in comedy more than anything serious.

IceAlisa
07-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Brad Pitt really shines in comedy more than anything serious.

I discovered his dramatic skills in 12 Monkeys and was very impressed. But he is too pretty for Blomkvist.

IceAlisa
07-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Sorry for the double post. I have a cancellation and am uncharacteristically caught up on charting so I wanted to discuss potential candidacies for the role of Lisbeth.

We've talked about Ellen Page who would be my first choice.

Others are:

Mia Wasikowska (http://imstars.aufeminin.com/stars/fan/mia-wasikowska/mia-wasikowska-20080729-441981.jpg) Seems OK, like she has potential to be a good Lisbeth. I am not familiar with her acting.

Emily Browning (http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa108/Infectious_Rainbows/Misc/emily-browning.jpg) Way too luscious. She can't lose her beautiful bee-stung lips, can she. All wrong for Lisbeth.

Sara Snook (http://www.griffintheatre.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Close-up-camera-blue-375x480.jpg) That's nice and sullen, could work. I don't know her work to say more.

Rooney Mara (http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2009/04/rooney-mara.jpg) Doesn't seem to have the required intense presence, kinda dishwater blah.

Sophie Lowe (http://www.matricsmanagement.com/062_SophieLowe.jpg) Could work, may be.

genevieve
07-27-2010, 09:52 PM
I saw somewhere else that Rooney Mara is under serious consideration - she's way too...soft looking. Mia - perhaps, but she'd have to ditch that long luscious hair.

IceAlisa
07-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Rooney Mara just seems too mousy and non-threatening. I would eliminate her and Emily Browning just based on the head shots.

Regarding Mia--losing the hair would be a small price to pay (but yes, the hair is very nice). She looks good for the role IMO.

genevieve
08-16-2010, 08:03 PM
It's official: Rooney Mara is in

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100816/ap_en_ot/us_film_dragon_tattoo

In terms of looks I'm not crazy about her but 1) I'm thrilled they went with a relative unknown and 2) if I had seen Noomi Raplace before seeing the Swedish films I would not have expected her to fit the bill so well either. I will cross my fingers that they will go as far as needed to make this character come to life and not insist that the actress remain "Hollywood pretty".

IceAlisa
08-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Well, we'll see. I am a bit skeptical but am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

CynicElle
08-16-2010, 08:45 PM
I don't know anything about this actress other than that she was in that "Nightmare on Elm Street" remake that I never saw, but I'm glad they finally picked someone; the constant "They're down to six candidates! Now they're down to four! Now they're down to two!" rumor leakage was getting really :rolleyes:. (It's a role in a movie, not the next President.) I like the other casting rumors I've heard so far (Stellan Skarsgard as Martin Vanger and Robin Wright as Erika Berger), so hopefully this is a good call too.

skatingfan5
08-16-2010, 08:50 PM
I just saw the first movie on DVD and liked it a lot. Am waiting for my turn with the third book from the library.

Don't really see why we need an American version though. Can't people just read the damn subtitles? It's not that hard....

I would infintely prefer to read subtitles than watch a Hollywood hash-up of this incredible story!Adding my vote to Hannah, Holley, and the rest of the "WHY MAKE A REMAKE?" crowd. I just saw this first movie this weekend (at the local "art" theatre) and really, really liked it. They are going to be showing "The Girl Who Played with Fire" next.

I'm wracking my brain to come up with a Hollywood remake of a foreign film that I have liked as much as/thought was as well done as the original. So far, nothing. Although I did enjoy a few of the remakes, mostly they were very much inferior (at least to my tastes). I can actually see Daniel Craig doing a creditable job in the role of Mikael; since I have no recollection of ever seeing Rooney Mara, I haven't the faintest idea of what she could do as Noomi. I guess I can be thankful that they didn't cast Miley or some such similar. :scream:

genevieve
08-16-2010, 09:01 PM
...since I have no recollection of ever seeing Rooney Mara, I haven't the faintest idea of what she could do as Noomi.

You mean as Lisbeth? :P I think this shows how completely Noomi Rapace became Lisbeth Salander in the Swedish films :lol: