PDA

View Full Version : What does Caroline Zhang need to do to work her way back up to the podium?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Marco
04-25-2010, 03:22 PM
The sad thing is, . if Rachael and Caroline were sent to Worlds last year and got back our third spot, we probably would have lost it again this year. :(

You couldn't have predicted how Zhang would have skated at Worlds last season if she had gone, just like you couldn't have predicted how Wagner would have skated at Worlds this season if she had gone.

RD
04-25-2010, 03:48 PM
You couldn't have predicted how Zhang would have skated at Worlds last season if she had gone, just like you couldn't have predicted how Wagner would have skated at Worlds this season if she had gone.

EXACTLY. Took the words right out of my mouth (keyboard). After Olys, with Nagasu doing so well, how many were saying we'd get back 3 spots at worlds? And look what happened. Point is, it's worthless to think about that third spot if it would have been lost again anyway.

jlai
04-25-2010, 05:10 PM
And Wagner was so reliable until worlds during the 07-08 season

olympic
04-25-2010, 05:17 PM
And Wagner was so reliable until worlds during the 07-08 season

OT, but part of Wagner's problem at '08 Worlds was the fact she was hustled onto the ice for her LP due to Miki's sudden withdrawal. I think that is really what threw the otherwise reliable Wagner off her game.

RD
04-25-2010, 06:26 PM
We'll see if Wagner can bounce back next year. I always thought she was capable of winning Nats at least once...she is a good freeskater, her problem always has been, and still is, the SP. She really needs to stop digging herself a hole. And who knows...if she does ever do that perfect SP, whether she will feel as compelled to attack in the FS (Nagasu '10 worlds anyone?).

With Flatt off to college, it could work to her advantage if she steps it up next year, before the next crop of skaters catches up to and surpasses her.

smarts1
04-25-2010, 06:44 PM
^ It's going to be at least 2 more seasons before the next crop catches up to Wagner... Since Gao and Zawadski have lots to work on...

RD
04-25-2010, 07:52 PM
True, but it works the other way as well; she could fall into a slump that brings her down closer to their level. Of course, we hope that won't happen, but...

pinky166
04-25-2010, 10:30 PM
^ It's going to be at least 2 more seasons before the next crop catches up to Wagner... Since Gao and Zawadski have lots to work on...

Gao and Zawadzki both seem to be making tremendous strides in short amounts of time though so they may just surprise us next season. Christina has been practicing all kinds of 3-3 combos recently (3f-3t, 3lz-3t) and Agnes is training a 3a. Plus Gao already beat Makarova at the JGPF and Ksenia has been doing quite well in the senior ranks, so Gao could find herself doing quite well on the senior level as early as the coming season.

freezin'rinkmom
04-26-2010, 02:25 PM
This is the time of year when skaters are working on all sorts of new elements. It's another thing to add them to a competitive program. Gao has had a solid 3T-3T in her LP and it is a natural extension for her to add the 3T in combination to her other triples. Zawadzki is training triple combinations as well as in the pole harness working on 3A. Gilles is doing similar training and Flatt has already added 3-3Lp combos to her repetoire and is back working on 3A's as well. Nothing new for Tom Z's students as he really pushes his students in the spring and summer to add more difficult elements to their repetoire. Farris is landing 4T's fairly regularly. It's that time of year..... :-)

Curious to know how motivational it has been for Zhang to be in Colorado Springs watching all those good jumpers? Chan has been away from Co Sp for abit (in Korea for YuNa's show and vacationing), so I can imagine Zhang might pick up a thing or two, in addition to working with Dickson on choreo and Casey on jump technique. It will take more than two weeks of working with Casey to correct that jump technique though....

pinky166
04-26-2010, 02:33 PM
This is the time of year when skaters are working on all sorts of new elements. It's another thing to add them to a competitive program. Gao has had a solid 3T-3T in her LP and it is a natural extension for her to add the 3T in combination to her other triples. Zawadzki is training triple combinations as well as in the pole harness working on 3A. Gilles is doing similar training and Flatt has already added 3-3Lp combos to her repetoire and is back working on 3A's as well. Nothing new for Tom Z's students as he really pushes his students in the spring and summer to add more difficult elements to their repetoire. Farris is landing 4T's fairly regularly. It's that time of year..... :-)

Curious to know how motivational it has been for Zhang to be in Colorado Springs watching all those good jumpers? Chan has been away from Co Sp for abit (in Korea for YuNa's show and vacationing), so I can imagine Zhang might pick up a thing or two, in addition to working with Dickson on choreo and Casey on jump technique. It will take more than two weeks of working with Casey to correct that jump technique though....

You make some very good points, I just wanted to make the point that it's not a done deal that skaters like Gao and Zawadzki won't take over someone like Ashley for at least 2 years, I mean look at 2008 nationals, all those former junior ladies dominating. Plus I feel like at least Gao (don't know as much about Zawadzki) is not your average up-and-comer, her jumps are textbook, always rotated, beautiful, and she has very nice presence on the ice, and Brian Orser is her coach. She reminds me a little bit of Yuna at age 15, so if she progresses like Yuna did, hold onto your hats! Plus Ashley was only scoring mid 50s for her SP and under 110 for her FS this season so it's not that difficult to top those scores.

smarts1
04-26-2010, 08:08 PM
That's the thing about Gao. She's with Brian Orser and Brian has done some special things for Yuna within in the last couple years that would have been impossible under any other coach. But only time will tell.

pinky166
04-26-2010, 09:31 PM
That's the thing about Gao. She's with Brian Orser and Brian has done some special things for Yuna within in the last couple years that would have been impossible under any other coach. But only time will tell.

Yes. I think Gao has "it" though, the NBC commentators were practically drooling over her 3-3 and couldn't say enough good things about her. Plus I see YUNA in Christina, Yuna looked and skated a lot like Christina when she was younger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7liNIlGSGts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcUQLJ_sDkI

watch these videos at the same time and you'll see what i mean.

Indra486
04-27-2010, 03:08 AM

Well, Yuna was also more talented than Gao as a Junior skater. IIRC, Gao finished far behind Baga and Zawadski at sectionals (or regionals?). Granted, Gao is doing quite well and it would seem that she needed the right coach to bring out her best qualities.

pinky166
04-27-2010, 03:22 AM
Well, Yuna was also more talented than Gao as a Junior skater. IIRC, Gao finished far behind Baga and Zawadski at sectionals (or regionals?). Granted, Gao is doing quite well and it would seem that she needed the right coach to bring out her best qualities.

Christina didn't compete at regionals or sectionals this year, and she won both regional and sectionals last year, where she was in a different region and section than Zawadzki and competing at a different level than Baga. Did you mean Jr Worlds? She finished 8th at Junior Worlds, Kiri was only 7th and a couple points ahead of her. Jr Worlds wasn't Christina's best competition though, that was at the JGPF, where she beat Kiri, Angela, Anna, and Ksenia.

Sylvia
04-27-2010, 03:31 AM
The last time Gao and Zawadzki competed against each other at Midwestern Sectionals was in November 2008 -- Gao won the Junior Ladies event while Zawadzki placed 5th and was 1st alternate to 2009 Nationals (Gao won the Jr. bronze at Nationals that year).

Trying to keep this thread on topic (Caroline Zhang)... this tidbit was very interesting to read, I thought:

Kathy Casey is renowned for coaching jumps and I wonder what she can do in the short term to improve Zhang's technique?