PDA

View Full Version : What does Caroline Zhang need to do to work her way back up to the podium?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Polymer Bob
04-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Can you imagine the buzz on these boards if Caroline has been able to re-work her jumps in three months? :eek: That was considered impossible.

olympic
04-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Well, there's also a hearsay report from yesterday that Zhang's 3F is looking better: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?32055-What-will-2010-11-bring-for-Caroline-Zhang&p=498814&viewfull=1#post498814

Just read it. I also see that she is still with Li Mingzhu. Hmmmm. I wonder if she is truly motivated to do the hard work in fixing her jumps and make a change for the better....

judgejudy27
04-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I dont think Li is a bad coach. She coached Lu Chen for many years. I think it is possible to improve the things she needs to improve with Li if she is willing to work at them enough.

loulou
04-21-2010, 05:37 PM
I dont think Li is a bad coach. She coached Lu Chen for many years. I think it is possible to improve the things she needs to improve with Li if she is willing to work at them enough.

I don't think you see how good of a coach someone is from the good kids.
You see it from how he/she can teach to the bad ones.

For some reason, people tend not to think about that. Instead, I find it pretty true.

briancoogaert
04-21-2010, 06:20 PM
I don't think you see how good of a coach someone is from the good kids.
You see it from how he/she can teach to the bad ones.

For some reason, people tend not to think about that. Instead, I find it pretty true.
Lu Chen surely was more talented than Caroline Zhang. But who was the first coach of Lu Chen. I mean who did teach her the basic skills and the jumping technique ?
If this first coach was Li, then she is a very good coach. Because Lu Chen had a very good jumping technique.

IceAlisa
04-21-2010, 06:48 PM
If she gets rid of the mule kick AND improves her basics, I would be over the moon.

clara00
04-21-2010, 10:50 PM
I love her personality,spins but so slowly skating and she has poor jump technique. I hate Caroline's kick.
I think she need to a new coach improve her skills.

pinky166
04-22-2010, 12:09 AM
The kick is only part of the problem. Her lack of speed, 2a, and low PCS are also things she has to fix. Plus also I don't find her spins as nice this year because she is so slow going into them that it looks awkward, the positions are amazing but they aren't particularly fast.

Also, didn't Alissa reportedly re-work her technique a couple years ago? It doesn't really have appeared to have worked for her considering she is still so prone to falls and URs, and doesn't have a lot of speed either. Alissa didn't leave her coach during this process so I think if Caroline wants to actually fix her technique (not only kinda-sort-not really fix her technique like Alissa did) she has to leave Mingzhu Li and get a new coach who will make her work really hard the right way to fix her jumps. Maybe Artunian?

loulou
04-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Lu Chen surely was more talented than Caroline Zhang. But who was the first coach of Lu Chen. I mean who did teach her the basic skills and the jumping technique ?
If this first coach was Li, then she is a very good coach. Because Lu Chen had a very good jumping technique.

Not necessarily, in my opinion.
Some skaters tend to naturally deliver the correct gesture, while some others seem to struggle finding it.

For example, I'd think Kostner never flutzed or lipped, or hit a bad position in the air, becasue she was naturally inclined to do so. Not because her first coach was a good basic teacher.

Again in my opinion, you spot the good teacher when he/she is able to lead the kid that is naturally inclined to bad habits into developing the good ones.

Let's pick Mishin as another example: I'd say all Mishin's pupils managed to develope elite skills and pretty sound technique. Then of course we've seen differences made by talent, work ethic and drive, but the coach was able to teach everybody. Not just the very talented ones.

I'm often under the impression that skating nowdays is like the natural selection process: those who naturally have it proceed, those who don't get stuck. And coaches pay very little role in all that: they lead through prorper presentation, proper staff, maybe prorper conditioning, but don't seem to be really able to address technique when it's needed.

judgejudy27
04-22-2010, 11:30 AM
If I were to guess her place in the current U.S pecking order I would say it is something like this:

Nagasu
Flatt
Wagner
Zawadzki
Gao
Czisny
Zhang
Baga
Dobbs
Gilles

Good chance Flat and Czisny wont return though.

Polymer Bob
04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
If I were to guess her place in the current U.S pecking order I would say it is something like this:

The ISU judges will determine the pecking order for us at the Grand Prix. Until then, the USFSA can only guess who their best ladies are and try to keep them separate in the Grand Prix events.

judgejudy27
04-22-2010, 12:25 PM
The ISU judges will determine the pecking order for us at the Grand Prix. Until then, the USFSA can only guess who their best ladies are and try to keep them separate in the Grand Prix events.

Is Caroline even certain to get 2 grand prix assignments?

jlai
04-22-2010, 01:12 PM
With a bronze at 4cc, my guess is yes

Polymer Bob
04-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Is Caroline even certain to get 2 grand prix assignments?

As I understand the rules, Caroline is guaranteed one assignment, but is almost certain to get a second.

EDIT : Push come to shove, the same can be said for Evan.

olympic
04-23-2010, 02:18 PM

Nagasu
Flatt
Wagner
Zawadzki
Gao
Czisny
Zhang
Baga
Dobbs
Gilles

Good chance Flat and Czisny wont return though.

That's a good synopsis. But what makes you think Flatt and Czisny won't return? Both have said they are sticking it out.

Do you think that they will retire abruptly, or they will just fade and eventually disappear [Flatt concentrating on College; Czisny just not motivated anymore] before Sochi 2014?

Interested to know what you think will happen with Meissner....