PDA

View Full Version : What does Caroline Zhang need to do to work her way back up to the podium?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32

Polymer Bob
06-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Yes, but in order to do that Caroline should leave Mingzhu and start from the very beginning, because that's essentially what Mirai did when she went to Frank.

I guess I am still in the minority on this one. ( Maybe that's where I am the most comfortable. ) But I am going to have to guess that Caroline and Ms. Li made a conscious decision to forestall trying to fix her issues until after the Olympic season. ( I have NO inside information whatsoever, so this is only a guess. )

Mirai made rapid improvement this season, shaky at CoC then much more solid at SC but a bit tentative, then awesome at nats and the olympics. It was a fast turnover.

Yes it was. Olympics to Worlds was also a fast turnover. :(

smarts1
06-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the info. Interesting. Do you know if Kimmie is working on anything else about her jump(s)? Would appreciate it.

Well I'm sure she's been working on looking up rather than down at the ice before her jump takeoffs. She also said that she needed to learn how to get over her right side on her jumps.

flyingsit
06-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Well I'm sure she's been working on looking up rather than down at the ice before her jump takeoffs. She also said that she needed to learn how to get over her right side on her jumps.

Kimmie actually needs to be over her left side, as she's a clockwise jumper.

RD
06-09-2010, 11:48 PM

Must be confusing her with someone else because she's definitely jumping CCW here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC8aUzZ9bhc

:confused:

IceKween
06-09-2010, 11:50 PM

Since when? She's always jumped CCW for as long as I've seen her skate.

pinky166
06-09-2010, 11:51 PM
I guess I am still in the minority on this one. ( Maybe that's where I am the most comfortable. ) But I am going to have to guess that Caroline and Ms. Li made a concious decision to forstall trying to fix her issues until after the Olympic season. ( I have NO inside information whatsoever, so this is only a guess. )

Yes it was. Olympics to Worlds was also a fast turnover. :(

Hey! Her SP at Worlds was awesome! She just had a bad FS, happens to everyone, remember Yuna at SA? Also most people bombed Worlds anyways

RD
06-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Ashley Wagner, on the other hand, jumps CW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEnLfOp_BMc

RD
06-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Hey! Her SP at Worlds was awesome!

...which makes it an even fastER turnover. :shuffle::yikes::scream:

:P

pinky166
06-10-2010, 03:11 AM
...which makes it an even fastER turnover. :shuffle::yikes::scream:

:P

Kinda harsh. Even Rachael "The Rock" Flatt made a number of mistakes at Worlds, not to mention Queen Yu Na and a truckload of other skaters. 7th is still a great Worlds debut.

pinky166
06-10-2010, 01:23 PM
I just thought of something, maybe Caroline is slow because her legs are kind of short? I was watching videos of her and she has a very long torso (gives her an elegant look) and proportionally, her legs and arms are shorter. Compared to other skaters of the same approximate height, Mao, Yuna, Mirai, Alissa, etc, they all appear to have much longer legs than Caroline and are all faster.

flyingsit
06-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Sorry, brain fade for me. Mea culpa.

Polymer Bob
06-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I don’t know the exact mechanics, but normally when skater does a combination, the second jump ( and third and fourth ) must be a loop or toe loop. However, if a skater can jump in both directions, it becomes possible to have something else be the second jump. That’s something I would pay money to see.

But if you nail the clock to the ceiling, the hands rotate in the same direction Kimmie jumps. :)

I can just imagine all of you trying to figure that one out. :D

Sylvia
06-10-2010, 07:59 PM
I don’t know the exact mechanics, but normally when skater does a combination, the second jump ( and third and fourth ) must be a loop or toe loop. However, if a skater can jump in both directions, it becomes possible to have something else be the second jump. That’s something I would pay money to see.
Counterclockwise (CCW) rotators (the majority of skaters) land jumps on their right back outside (RBO) edge. This landing edge could be the takeoff edge of a reverse (CW direction) Lutz. Clockwise rotators land jumps on their left back outside (LBO) edge. This landing edge could be the takeoff edge of a reverse (CCW) Lutz.

Rohene Ward performed a reverse double Axel (clockwise direction for him) to regular double Axel (CCW) sequence in this 2002 exhibition (after the 2-minute mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAdIn-NFKhc

Doubletoe
06-10-2010, 08:34 PM
I just thought of something, maybe Caroline is slow because her legs are kind of short? I was watching videos of her and she has a very long torso (gives her an elegant look) and proportionally, her legs and arms are shorter. Compared to other skaters of the same approximate height, Mao, Yuna, Mirai, Alissa, etc, they all appear to have much longer legs than Caroline and are all faster.

If that were the case, skaters like Naomi Nari Nam and Midori Ito should have been very slow skaters, but they weren't. ;)

pinky166
06-10-2010, 08:46 PM
If that were the case, skaters like Naomi Nari Nam and Midori Ito should have been very slow skaters, but they weren't. ;)

Fair point. Although when your legs make up so much of your height like someone like Yuna's do, it probably makes things a little easier. My dad and I walk super fast and my mom thinks its because both of us have really long legs (though neither of us is tall). Watching Caroline, it's actually quite amazing she can land her jumps as often as she does considering most of them she enters at almost a complete standstill. She must be really strong.