PDA

View Full Version : What does Caroline Zhang need to do to work her way back up to the podium?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

IceAlisa
06-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Thanks all who replied to my Yuan Yuan question.

crzesk8dad
06-03-2010, 04:31 AM
"Doctor, do you think we can save her?"

"No, I am afraid not"

"You mean?"

"Yes, the horse is dead"

"I guess we can't beat her anymore" :duh:

key65man
06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Caroline is American, and maybe she doesn't want to represent China. She can be a major threat again in the U.S. if she takes the time to work on her flaws (which it sounds like she might be doing). What's the point in skating for China if still would still be held down internationally due to poor technique and speed issues?

If Caroline doesn't want to represent China, then that is that. But, if she is open to that option, it may open up a lot of new possibilities for her. More sponsors, bigger competitions, and possibly a little better political backing if China gets serious about figure skating. Besides, if Caroline can spark up the interest in figure skating in China, that will be huge for figure skating.

If there is no improvement in her skating, then the option may not amount to much independently of whether she represent China or the U.S. She may be better off in the U.S. if she can take over the top. Otherwise, I think China should be something she should give a serious thought about.

jlai
06-03-2010, 04:29 PM
"Doctor, do you think we can save her?"

"No, I am afraid not"

"You mean?"

"Yes, the horse is dead"

"I guess we can't beat her anymore" :duh:

Yeah... :lol:

Polymer Bob
06-03-2010, 06:14 PM
She may be better off in the U.S. if she can take over the top. Otherwise, I think China should be something she should give a serious thought about.

Serious thought? OK, let’s see. They have no regard for human rights, suppress dissent, censor their news media and internet, manipulate their currency which affects the balance of trade, threaten their neighbors with over a thousand ballistic missiles ……….. did I forget anything? I am sure this China talk is well intended, but I doubt Caroline will ever go for it.

"Yes, the horse is dead"

The horse may be dead, but the mule is going to kick some serious a&&. :D

caseyedwards
06-03-2010, 06:23 PM
I think that China is all about having things "made in china" and maybe they would not even accept an athletic transplant (unless they already have and I don't know about it).

jlai
06-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Serious thought? OK, let’s see. They have no regard for human rights, suppress dissent, censor their news media and internet, manipulate their currency which affects the balance of trade, threaten their neighbors with over a thousand ballistic missiles ……….. did I forget anything? I am sure this China talk is well intended, but I doubt Caroline will ever go for it.

That doesn't keep skaters from trying for Azerbaijan or some other countries people generally don't approve of.

Besides, this thread isn't about China or what you dislike about it (heck, there're enough American issues I can go on and on about). It's about Zhang.

More sponsors, bigger competitions, and possibly a little better political backing if China gets serious about figure skating. Besides, if Caroline can spark up the interest in figure skating in China, that will be huge for figure skating.

Zhang is American, not Chinese. Besides, skating is dying in China--or at least there's a lack of general popularity. I just can't see her switching.

Sylvia
06-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Jane (Zhenni) Ruan was born and skated in the U.S. system (she qualified for 2008 U.S. Nationals at the junior level) and then switched to represent China and competed in one JGP in the fall of 2008 -- see: http://tracings.net/ruan-jane.html
I believe she is no longer skating competitively.

Hypothetical scenario: Even if Caroline wanted to compete for China (and vice-versa), first the U.S. Figure Skating Board of Directors would have to vote to release her due to the international medals she has won. Then, ISU Rule 109 (if I am interpreting it correctly) currently states that any skater that switches countries is not allowed to compete internationally for their new country for 24 months following an ISU Championship. Caroline competed at 2010 Four Continents and so would not be eligible to represent China until February 2012.

key65man
06-03-2010, 07:02 PM

I really don't think they skate to support/justify their countries' politics or politicize the issues and the problems. But, if Caroline feels strongly against them, yeah sure.

caseyedwards
06-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Jane (Zhenni) Ruan was born and skated in the U.S. system (she qualified for 2008 U.S. Nationals at the junior level) and then switched to represent China and competed in one JGP in the fall of 2008 -- see: http://tracings.net/ruan-jane.html

So it has been done!

IceKween
06-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Hypothetical scenario: Even if Caroline wanted to compete for China (and vice-versa), first the U.S. Figure Skating Board of Directors would have to vote to release her due to the international medals she has won. Then, ISU Rule 109 (if I am interpreting it correctly) currently states that any skater that switches countries is not allowed to compete internationally for their new country for 24 months following an ISU Championship. Caroline competed at 2010 Four Continents and so would not be eligible to represent China until February 2012.

What are considered ISU championships? Can she still skate for US doing GP and GPF, but just avoid 4Cs and Worlds for the next two years? That's what I would do then, and if it's not working out in two years switch to China.

key65man
06-03-2010, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the info. I checked on the waiting period, and your interpretation is right on about the 2 year waiting period in order to compete for ISU championships regardless of citizenship status.

Mirai Nagasu's dual citizenship is still subject to the rule since she has already competed representing the U.S. in international competitions and ISU championships.

Quite interesting as I previously thought there was no or little waiting period after naturalization.

Thanks once again.

key65man
06-03-2010, 08:17 PM
What are considered ISU championships? Can she still skate for US doing GP and GPF, but just avoid 4Cs and Worlds for the next two years? That's what I would do then, and if it's not working out in two years switch to China.

ISU championships are Worlds, Junior Worlds, Euros, and 4CC. Per the rule, the waiting period in order to compete in an international competition excluding ISU championships is "one year" (as opposed to two years for ISU championships). I suppose tht GP and GPF are just international competitions according to the definitions.

a) Singles: a skater who represented Member A in any discipline during the 2006 ISU European Figure Skating Championships in February 2006 (last day of these EC being February 5) would be allowed, if all other requirements of Rule 109 are fulfilled, to represent Member B in singles only as of July 1, 2007 in International Competitions and as of July 1, 2008 in ISU Championships;

Marco
06-04-2010, 04:03 AM

Wow the ignorance. :duh:

I really don't think they skate to support/justify their countries' politics or politicize the issues and the problems.

Thank you for making sense.

pinky166
06-04-2010, 06:26 AM
Zhang is American, not Chinese. Besides, skating is dying in China--or at least there's a lack of general popularity. I just can't see her switching.

The lack of skating popularity in China could be an incentive TO switch. She could be very influential and change the course of figure skating in China. I mean, if she can reestablish herself as one of the top US ladies, then I think she will likely stick with representing the US. Skating in the US is just so competitive though, it could be several years before Caroline gets to go to Worlds, potentially it could never happen. If she switched to China, even with all her issues, she'd be the best.