PDA

View Full Version : What does Caroline Zhang need to do to work her way back up to the podium?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

michiruwater
05-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Aside from last season, which was extremely poor for her, Caroline's scores at Nationals were always much lower in comparison to her scores from Internationals. It was very strange because it never seems to happen that way.

pinky166
05-16-2010, 05:32 PM
No, actually while some skaters get much higher scores at nationals than internationals (Flatt, Czisney, Wagner), and some get pretty much the same scores nationals and internationals (Dobbs, Gao, Nagasu), Caroline got always much lower scores at nationals than at internationals. This last season I believe that she did deserve the low scores, although to be fair she has been injured and had back problems, but in the past I think she was robbed a few times at home competition. Caroline being a USFSA darling? That's a joke? :rofl:

Well she was in 2007, and the commentators certainly love her, but yeah, she does seem to get dinged in the SP at nationals year after year. Her 112 and 118 LP scores at 09 and 08 nationals were comparable to what she had been getting internationally those years though.

smarts1
05-16-2010, 10:45 PM
^Yeah but when the rest of the field is getting score inflation, what Caroline is getting at nationals is score DEFLATION.

One other problem is that Caroline has never peaked at Nationals. She always seems to make a mistake that becomes her undoing at Nationals which would not happen at other competitions. For example last year, Caroline stepped out of her double axel in short at Nationals while at Four Continents and at WTT she skated clean programs.

pinky166
05-17-2010, 03:03 AM
^Yeah but when the rest of the field is getting score inflation, what Caroline is getting at nationals is score DEFLATION.

One other problem is that Caroline has never peaked at Nationals. She always seems to make a mistake that becomes her undoing at Nationals which would not happen at other competitions. For example last year, Caroline stepped out of her double axel in short at Nationals while at Four Continents and at WTT she skated clean programs.

True. I feel like Caroline doesn't skate as well in America, kind of like how Miki doesn't skate well in Japan. I feel like Caroline usually does best around the time of 4CC and Junior Worlds, meaning she peaks later in the season. Apart from the 07 GP season, Caroline has never done great at her GP events, then has mistakes at nationals, then goes on to do well at 4CC and/or Junior Worlds.

Polymer Bob
05-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah but when the rest of the field is getting score inflation, what Caroline is getting at nationals is score DEFLATION.

She always seems to make a mistake that becomes her undoing at Nationals which would not happen at other competitions.

Her worst mistake was at the 2008 Nationals short when she apparently phased into hyper-space for one of her elements. The judges didn't see it, gave her no credit, and knocked her out of the final free skate group. To be fair, the judges tried to correct their mistake and added points to her score. Then someone reminded them that points couldn't be added, even if it was their mistake, and the points were taken away.

We couldn't figure out why her short program score got changed up, then back down again.

pinky166
05-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Is Caroline still in Colorado?

chipso1
05-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Her worst mistake was at the 2008 Nationals short when she apparently phased into hyper-space for one of her elements. The judges didn't see it, gave her no credit, and knocked her out of the final free skate group. To be fair, the judges tried to correct their mistake and added points to her score. Then someone reminded them that points couldn't be added, even if it was their mistake, and the points were taken away.

We couldn't figure out why her short program score got changed up, then back down again.

No, her worst mistake in 2008 was underrotating her 3/3 and falling out of the second jump.

In 2009, aside from stepping out of her 2A, she also didn't complete enough revs in one of her layback positions to get a Level 4 on that element.

Sylvia
05-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Is Caroline still in Colorado?
No.

Marco
05-18-2010, 06:03 PM
True. I feel like Caroline doesn't skate as well in America, kind of like how Miki doesn't skate well in Japan.

World title 2007 ;)

Polymer Bob
05-18-2010, 06:04 PM
No, her worst mistake in 2008 was underrotating her 3/3 and falling out of the second jump.

In 2008, she stepped out of her 3-3, but she did not fall out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_OGaZ8qNXU

chipso1
05-18-2010, 06:08 PM
In 2008, she stepped out of her 3-3, but she did not fall out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_OGaZ8qNXU

I consider that lunging forward a fall out, but it doesn't really matter, as it certainly didn't help either gain points either way.

key65man
05-18-2010, 07:12 PM
I am not particularly big on the traditional aesthetic of figure skating based on flexibility. But, I appreciate someone special like Sasha and Caroline. I just hope that Caroline is able to address her jump issues and do some triples in a way that is no longer aesthetically displeasing. I would be happy with that at the moment even if she were not to manage a podium finish at Worlds or at the Olympics (though it would be icing on the cake).

MOIJTO
05-18-2010, 07:24 PM
282 posts and still growing! What is wrong with you people?

Stick a fork in her she's cooked!

Stormy
05-18-2010, 07:26 PM

Wow, yet another helpful and insightful post. :rolleyes:

key65man
05-18-2010, 07:47 PM

There may be more to figure skating. Well, unless we limit it to competitions and their results.