PDA

View Full Version : What does Caroline Zhang need to do to work her way back up to the podium?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RD
05-10-2010, 04:16 AM
^ Good point. Let her take the time and be patient. Results won't happen overnight even though some seem to want it to. It worked for Rochette after all. Years of inconsistency and then it suddenly clicked.

Not saying the same thing will happen with Zhang but it's her only choice if she wants any kind of success in today's skating comps.

Marco
05-10-2010, 04:36 AM
Who's her current coach? Still Li Mingzhu?

^ Good point. Let her take the time and be patient. Results won't happen overnight even though some seem to want it to. It worked for Rochette after all. Years of inconsistency and then it suddenly clicked.

Not saying the same thing will happen with Zhang but it's her only choice if she wants any kind of success in today's skating comps.

I agree about patience. I am sure this period is more frustrating for her than it is to anyone else. I wish her all the best.

But to digress a little, flutz aside, Rochette has always had solid technique and a good feel for jumping. It wasn't a miracle that she fixed her flutz rather quickly. I am not sure if I can say the same about Zhang. Best of luck I guess.

AxelAnnie
05-10-2010, 06:18 AM
I am with you ChibiChibi....I would really love to have her succeed.

Polymer Bob
05-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Well, I know that Caroline is still relevant. If you search "Caroline Zhang" on YouTube, then sort results by date, this is what you get. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=videos&search_query=%22caroline+zhang%22&search_sort=video_date_uploaded&suggested_categories=17%2C10&uni=3

I figure if the fan warriors think she is important, she must be.

( Though seriously, this nonsense has got to stop at some point. )

shine
05-10-2010, 07:33 PM
But to digress a little, flutz aside, Rochette has always had solid technique and a good feel for jumping. It wasn't a miracle that she fixed her flutz rather quickly. I am not sure if I can say the same about Zhang. Best of luck I guess.

Agreed. Rochette actually had some of the nicest jumps even before she fixed her flutz, which coated her two seasons of inconsisency with that jump. Carolne in comparison has A LOT more issues with jumping. I'd be beyond impressed if she's able to fix them all. All the best to her!

briancoogaert
05-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Agreed. Rochette actually had some of the nicest jumps even before she fixed her flutz, which coated her two seasons of inconsisency with that jump. Carolne in comparison has A LOT more issues with jumping. I'd be beyond impressed if she's able to fix them all. All the best to her!
Because her issues are not jumps. She needs edges...in fact basic skating.

Marco
05-11-2010, 04:13 AM

Her jump issues are epic.

She has technique issues with 4 out of 6 types of jumps. Only her toe and sal jumps are decent. She overtwists her shoulder and hips on the loop takeoff, mule kicks and overtwists her hip on the flip takeoff, mule kicks; overtwists her hip and flutzes the lutz takeoff, and way overskids the axel takeoff.

Because of her unorthodox technique she doesn't get much size to her jumps at all and virtually no flow in and out. That's a big quality issue.

pinky166
05-11-2010, 04:44 PM

Her issues ARE jumps, and edges and basic skating on top of it. Mostly jumps though. But even if she fixes her jumps she needs to figure out how to get her PCS up because this season her PCS in the LP internationally has not broken 50, and really to be competitive internationally you want PCS in AT LEAST the mid 50s for the LP, preferably 60+. So she really needs to work on presentation and basic skating and speed and jumps. Lots of things to work on.

pinky166
05-11-2010, 04:46 PM
To put things in perspective, Amanda Dobbs and Christina Gao beat Caroline in PCS in the LP at nationals, I think that speaks a lot to the level Caroline's basics are at.

Polymer Bob
05-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Possibly, but Caroline had the same basics the previous season and got higher PCS. In fact, the Japanese paid her $30,000 at the World Team Trophy for her poor basics. So what happened? Something must have been going on last season that we still don't know about.

Autumn_girl
05-11-2010, 05:32 PM
13-15 y.o. Caroline was a tiny kid with amazing flexibility and spins, she was lovely to watch and in such a young age, so the judges forgave her poor basics and gave her high scores. And she had no reasons to fix her technique then, 'cause her scores were high enough. But now she is a senior skater and it doesn't work. She has grown a lot since last season and obviously not a tiny kid anymore, now judges are demanding with her just like with any other senior lady

Squibble
05-11-2010, 09:26 PM
In fact, the Japanese paid her $30,000 at the World Team Trophy for her poor basics. So what happened? Something must have been going last season that we still don't know about.

As you said, she sold whatever basics she had to the Japanese for $30,000. :sekret:

pinky166
05-11-2010, 10:39 PM
13-15 y.o. Caroline was a tiny kid with amazing flexibility and spins, she was lovely to watch and in such a young age, so the judges forgave her poor basics and gave her high scores. And she had no reasons to fix her technique then, 'cause her scores were high enough. But now she is a senior skater and it doesn't work. She has grown a lot since last season and obviously not a tiny kid anymore, now judges are demanding with her just like with any other senior lady

Exactly. Caroline's technique has always been awful, but her jumps were actually higher when she was a 4'9" wunderkind than they are now. Also speed, you know it's one thing if a tiny little girl skates slowly because she has short legs, but I mean, Caroline is now as tall as Yuna Kim and still skates as slow as the itty-btty junior skaters she towers above. Also, Caroline's PCS have never been much better than they are now, they just seemed better when she was competing in junior competitions where the PCS are always lower.

Polymer Bob
05-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Caroline's PCS have never been much better than they are now, they just seemed better when she was competing in junior competitions where the PCS are always lower.

Last year, Caroline was top American lady at Four Continents. Was she skating in the junior segment of the competition? :confused:

Marco
05-12-2010, 09:08 AM
As you said, she sold whatever basics she had to the Japanese for $30,000. :sekret:

What a rip-off! :mad: