PDA

View Full Version : What does Caroline Zhang need to do to work her way back up to the podium?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RD
05-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Let's just say (pretend) and sorry if this has been discussed- but what if Yu-Na hangs up her skates, and Caroline went to Brian Orser? Anybody see that as a silver bullet. I don't, but just kinda thinking.

No one can work miracles...

It's ultimately up to the skater.

AxelAnnie
05-08-2010, 02:33 AM
True, it is up to the skater. I just wondered what people thought of Brian and Caroline as a match. I would love to see how she would do with her mom not around..........just to see. It would be (and I have no idea about this) difficult to take your coach seriously if your MOM was always saying you are perfect. Someone simply has to be giving that poor child some bad advice. She has (IMO) tons of talent, and flaws that should have been behind her by now. Makes me sad.

RockTheTassel
05-08-2010, 04:11 AM
She has (IMO) tons of talent, and flaws that should have been behind her by now. Makes me sad.

Yeah, she really does have talent and could have been a stellar skater if she'd had proper guidance and learned correct technique when she was younger. It's a shame that she'll probably never reach her full potential. :(

shine
05-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Except Kim went to Orser already with impeccable technique...

key65man
05-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Yeah, she really does have talent and could have been a stellar skater if she'd had proper guidance and learned correct technique when she was younger. It's a shame that she'll probably never reach her full potential. :(

Whoever taught Caroline the jump mechanics should seriously question his/her integrity as a coach. I always thought she could be great because of her artistic disposition. But, I feel the way you do about the likelihood of her reaching the full potential. Sad.

Autumn_girl
05-08-2010, 11:22 AM
2-3 years ago Mishin mentioned in his interview that he was asked to work with Caroline (she was about 14 y.o. then and just won Junior Worlds) on her jumps, but he refused. Sad about that, I think he could help her

olympic
05-08-2010, 02:05 PM
2-3 years ago Mishin mentioned in his interview that he was asked to work with Caroline (she was about 14 y.o. then and just won Junior Worlds) on her jumps, but he refused. Sad about that, I think he could help her

I wonder why...

pinky166
05-08-2010, 02:50 PM
I wonder why...

Maybe because he saw her technique was terrible and could tell that she was going to grow half a foot before she stopped and it would surely make her technique even worse?

Autumn_girl
05-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Maybe because he saw her technique was terrible and could tell that she was going to grow half a foot before she stopped and it would surely make her technique even worse?

Maybe he was too busy, but I also think it because her jumps are so low. When Liza Tuktamysheva first came to him (she was 9-10 y.o. and had 2A, 3T and 3S then) her technique and skating skills were terrible too, but her jumps were huge and it was the most important for Mishin. As he said, bad technique can be fixed, and that's exactly what he did for Liza, but it's very difficult and almost impossible to teach a skater how to jump higher

pinky166
05-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Maybe he was too busy, but I also think it because her jumps are so low. When Liza Tuktamysheva first came to him (she was 9-10 y.o. and had 2A, 3T and 3S then) her technique and skating skills were terrible too, but her jumps were huge and it was the most important for Mishin. As he said, bad technique can be fixed, and that's exactly what he did for Liza, but it's very difficult and almost impossible to teach a skater how to jump higher

I think Caroline's bad technique is part of the reason why her jumps are so low. That high kick really prevents her from getting a good vault off the ice and for her edge jumps and 2a she moves so slowly so that she doesn't get enough momentum to get good height.

Polymer Bob
05-08-2010, 09:58 PM
I think Caroline's bad technique is part of the reason why her jumps are so low.

Or maybe ....... "I thought Caroline's bad technique was part of the reason why her jumps were so low.

I am still encouraged by the ( unconfirmed ) report that Caroline has made improvements in her jumping. It seems unlikely somebody can re-work jumps in a couple of months. But four years ago, it was unlikely anyone from South Korea would win the Olympics.

pinky166
05-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Or maybe ....... "I thought Caroline's bad technique was part of the reason why her jumps were so low.

I am still encouraged by the ( unconfirmed ) report that Caroline has made improvements in her jumping. It seems unlikely somebody can re-work jumps in a couple of months. But four years ago, it was unlikely anyone from South Korea would win the Olympics.

I admire your optimism. I think there is a good chance Caroline can still fix her technique and speed, and maybe she already has. That being said, I don't think she'll ever be a power jumper, just judging from her build, most of the very powerful lady jumpers have broader shoulders and a more athletic physique while Caroline has more of a pretty pretty princess bodytype.

Autumn_girl
05-09-2010, 02:36 AM

I want to believe that she improved her jumps, but we've heard something like this last year and all know what happened next.

I admire your optimism. I think there is a good chance Caroline can still fix her technique and speed, and maybe she already has. That being said, I don't think she'll ever be a power jumper, just judging from her build, most of the very powerful lady jumpers have broader shoulders and a more athletic physique while Caroline has more of a pretty pretty princess bodytype.

It's not even her bodytype, it's natural qualities. Yes, she could jump higher with better technique, but not much higher, her jumps would still be low, lower than other top skaters jumps.

pinky166
05-09-2010, 03:16 AM
I want to believe that she improved her jumps, but we've heard something like this last year and all know what happened next.

It's not even her bodytype, it's natural qualities. Yes, she could jump higher with better technique, but not much higher, her jumps would still be low, lower than other top skaters jumps.

I think some people just naturally have huge jumps, and Caroline isn't one of those people. She's never going to have a triple lutz like Sebestyen or a triple flip like Gao.

Polymer Bob
05-09-2010, 03:20 AM
Oooops, repeat post.