PDA

View Full Version : What does Caroline Zhang need to do to work her way back up to the podium?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

MOIJTO
05-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I cannot believe that his thread is this long. :wall:

pinky166
05-03-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't remember where or when, but I recall an interview where Caroline claimed she was working on a triple axel. :cool:

THAT is far funnier than Rachael working on a 3a. Can you imagine the Caroline Zhang 3axel at a complete standstill? :yikes:

carrot
05-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't remember where or when, but I recall an interview where Caroline claimed she was working on a triple axel. :cool:

THAT is far funnier than Rachael working on a 3a. Can you imagine the Caroline Zhang 3axel at a complete standstill? :yikes:

It's true. The newspaper article said that Caroline kept falling on them and that scared her mom. I think that the article came out in summer 2007.

pinky166
05-03-2010, 05:02 PM
It's true. The newspaper article said that Caroline kept falling on them and that scared her mom. I think that the article came out in summer 2007.

Please Caroline, no 3axel until you gain some speed, please? I can understand why he mom was scared, even her 2a is scary!

Polymer Bob
05-04-2010, 01:38 AM

Well, if the unconfirmed report is true ( and I stress .... IF it is true ), Caroline eliminated her mule-kick in 2 months. At that rate, she should be greased lightning by October. :D

freezin'rinkmom
05-04-2010, 02:39 AM
nahhhh...the mule kick is still there...

pinky166
05-04-2010, 04:27 AM
Well, if the unconfirmed report is true ( and I stress .... IF it is true ), Caroline eliminated her mule-kick in 2 months. At that rate, she should be greased lightning by October. :D

Maybe a little wishful thinking on someone's part :rolleyes:? Anyways, even if she has eliminated her mule kick and gained some speed, she still won't be able to catch Mirai (in terms of skating AND speed).

RD
05-04-2010, 06:45 AM
A bit unbelievable to even fathom she could have worked a miracle in two short months (let alone a full season). Not sure where that rumor came from.

Polymer Bob
05-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Maybe a little wishful thinking on someone's part :rolleyes:? Anyways, even if she has eliminated her mule kick and gained some speed, she still won't be able to catch Mirai (in terms of skating AND speed).

I'm not so sure. Two seasons ago, Caroline was our best lady even with all her problems. And the season before that, she made the Grand Prix Final, with all her problems.

If she can correct her problems, Rachael and Mirai might spend next season in Caroline's rear view mirror.

pinky166
05-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm not so sure. Two seasons ago, Caroline was our best lady even with all her problems. And the season before that, she made the Grand Prix Final, with all her problems.

If she can correct her problems, Rachael and Mirai might spend next season in Caroline's rear view mirror.

Well, you have a point. I've always been amazed at how Caroline managed to do so well despite the mule kick, major edge calls, no speed, standstill 2a, and now low PCS (they've never been high, but have dropped recently). However, the one thing Mirai does have over Caro at this point is PCS, Caroline's in the LP I don't think have cracked 50 all season, and Mirai got 60+ at the Olympics and 57 at Worlds despite a poor performance. That gives Mirai a 10 point cushion.

Marco
05-04-2010, 02:33 PM

:rofl:

RD
05-04-2010, 03:57 PM

Ya gotta admit though- that's quite a MASSIVE if...not to mention it also assumes that the two other skaters also won't improve.

I'll say that catching Rachel is definitely within reach for her but Mirai has improved a lot over the past couple of years...if Nagasu can learn to handle the position of being the chased rather than the chaser, IMO Zhang can forget about being the top American even with her major issues fixed (except for extraordinary circumstances, of course- and granted, that "if" is also a big one). It's too soon to know whether it was just a slump (i.e. Olympic year stress) or whether she will become the American version of Mira Leung.

P.S. If the rule changes being discussed go into effect, I don't see it helping her cause at all. More emphasis on jumps- not a good thing for her.

Autumn_girl
05-04-2010, 04:20 PM
If Mirai will continue to get as many downgrades as she did this season, everything is possible even for Caroline. I mean it's too early to call Mirai a savior of American ladies single skating. Let's just wait and see what she will show us next season (the same with Caroline)

RD
05-04-2010, 04:35 PM
^ that was not my intent, and I agree re. the wait and see approach.

The Americans are playing MAJOR catch-up now to the Asians. A full cycle of not having a single lady on podium. Ouch.

pinky166
05-04-2010, 05:51 PM
^ that was not my intent, and I agree re. the wait and see approach.

The Americans are playing MAJOR catch-up now to the Asians. A full cycle of not having a single lady on podium. Ouch.

I don't know - Rachael, yes, I'm surprised Tara was surprised Rachael was "so low" in the standings after only doing a 3-2. Rachael with no 3-3 becomes very mediocre very fast. Ashley made the GPF, she can hang in there, if she can get higher PCS she should be able to do quite well. The Olympics and the Worlds SP showed us that Mirai really is Joannie/Mao/Miki level when she's on. Yuna yeah is still better but Mirai was right up there, and if she had skated a clean LP at Worlds she may have won.

As for the up-and-coming American juniors, Agnes I find a bit generic, so I don't expect too much from her, Kiri is good if she can become more consistent and get the more difficult triples, otherwise she'll be the next Czisny. I have my money on Gao to become the next big star, she has the best technique and speed and her spins, spirals, and flexibility are pretty good. Under Orser I think we will continue to see great improvement, she also is expressive and has a nice presence on the ice. I think Gao and Nagasu will be the two American ladies leading the way in the coming quad.