PDA

View Full Version : 2010 WNBA thread: featuring Marion Jones?!? WTF

Pages : [1] 2 3

genevieve
03-15-2010, 10:20 PM
it's a little early to start the annual genevieve/AJSkatefan/Vash01/jenniferlyon tea party, and I fear we've lost jennifer thanks to the Shock being deported to Tulsa, but I just saw this and my jaw dropped:

Marion Jones signed to rookie contract with Tulsa Shock (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=a2RIWbZ.FMS0)

:eek:

Is this a publicity stunt? I don't think it surpasses the Shock signing 50-year-old Nancy Lieberman to that 7 day contract in 2008, but it comes close.

caseyedwards
03-15-2010, 10:25 PM
She was a great basketball player. No doubt about that.

LuckyCharm
03-16-2010, 12:24 AM
What!?! No Johnny Weir!?!

She was a great basketball player. No doubt about that.

That's for sure. If she's anywhere near her previous form she's certainly qualified. It will be interesting to see how she looks after such a long layoff from competition. I don't think it's meant to be a publicity stunt, but it will bring a burst of attention to the league which is great.

genevieve
03-16-2010, 01:21 AM
I had not known before I read this article that she was actually drafted in the WNBA in 2003...but 7 years is a huge difference, and drafting a 34-year old rookie is....unconventional at best.

I was a huge Marion Jones fan and was heartbroken that she had cheated. Part of me would love for her to come out there and :kickass: But I also think of the qualified players who lost WNBA gigs when the teams went from 13 to 11 players last year, and all the young players who could be coming into the league now with years and years of playing ahead of them....well, I just have a hard time believing it.

judgejudy27
03-16-2010, 02:40 AM
I feel Marion Jones was majorly screwed in the whole WADA doping scandal anyway. All track sprinters at their level are doped. I have no doubts about that whatsoever. She was only zeroed in on and hounded until she was caught because of her fame, and because she would be the perfect one to be a scapegoat. She was by far the most talented women sprinter and destroyed her competition by doing exactly what everyone else who was making finals or semis atleast was also doing.

AJ Skatefan
03-16-2010, 04:00 AM
Well, it's only a training camp contract. We don't know if she'll actually make the team. And if she's good enough, well good for her. I know what you mean though. There were a bunch of really talented players who got cut when they trimmed the roster down. Swoopes, for one.

genevieve
03-16-2010, 04:07 AM
Still heartbroken for Swoopes :wuzrobbed

AJ Skatefan
03-16-2010, 04:15 AM
Me too. :wuzrobbed

Civic
03-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Here's a question for hoops fans: if Marion Jones had signed with the WBNA instead of focusing on track would she have been better off or worse off financially? Did focusing on track increase her chances of nabbing lucrative endorsement deals? Also, Jones is an attractive woman. Could she have parlayed a WNBA career into a TV commentating gig when her playing days ended?

AJ Skatefan
03-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Here's a question for hoops fans: if Marion Jones had signed with the WBNA instead of focusing on track would she have been better off or worse off financially? Did focusing on track increase her chances of nabbing lucrative endorsement deals? Also, Jones is an attractive woman. Could she have parlayed a WNBA career into a TV commentating gig when her playing days ended?

Those are all questions I can't answer.

AJ Skatefan
05-18-2010, 04:05 AM
The Storm won their season opener against LA! Yipee! Candace Parker was held to only 10 points and was very unhappy, throwing little fits all over the court. I hope the Storm can keep the momentum going. I watched some of the game between the Tulsa Shock and the Minnesota Lynx on Saturday and Marion Jones didn't play much so we'll still have to see if she has the goods.

genevieve
05-18-2010, 04:17 AM
I wasn't able to go - first season opener I've missed since 2004 I think :( I just had way too much going on this weekend. So glad for the new tv deal though! Was able to watch on KONG. What an awesome final 5 minutes of the game :kickass:

CP3 and her stupid sullen tantrums.... almost makes me miss the Diva LLL. :lol:

AJ Skatefan
05-18-2010, 04:19 AM
She looked like a 6 year old with those tantrums.

genevieve
05-19-2010, 03:02 AM
I will admit that, now the season has started, I'm very curious to see a game against Tulsa. Looks like Jones isn't going to play much but I'd like to see her even if she only gets a couple minutes. I'm also curious to see what kind of fan reception she'll get.

jenniferlyon
05-26-2010, 06:30 AM
I watched part of the Tulsa Shock vs. Phoenix game on TV. Hardly any of the Shock players from Detroit were there; it was like watching an entirely different team that happened to have Kara Braxton and Shavonte Zellous on the roster.

I miss my girls of summer!