PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Apprentice Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

genevieve
04-26-2010, 03:47 PM
I was also surprised there was no mention in the boardroom that Tenacity had an additional person. This was an extra person to do fundraising, AND an additional person to help get bodies in the door. I suppose the editing shows that it didn't matter - Summer was shown as being a terrible fundraiser (although we'd have to see individual $$ breakdowns to know for sure), Cyndi was gone during the planning part of the task, and we were shown that tenacity had a harder time drumming up people...but I think they really had an advantage.

I realize there are always advantages - tasks that play to a particular person's strengths, uneven numbers - but considering that Donald & co did talk about which team might have had an advantage and why, I was surprised they didn't talk about team size.

PDilemma
04-26-2010, 03:59 PM
I was also surprised there was no mention in the boardroom that Tenacity had an additional person. This was an extra person to do fundraising, AND an additional person to help get bodies in the door. I suppose the editing shows that it didn't matter - Summer was shown as being a terrible fundraiser (although we'd have to see individual $$ breakdowns to know for sure), Cyndi was gone during the planning part of the task, and we were shown that tenacity had a harder time drumming up people...but I think they really had an advantage.

I realize there are always advantages - tasks that play to a particular person's strengths, uneven numbers - but considering that Donald & co did talk about which team might have had an advantage and why, I was surprised they didn't talk about team size.

I agree. Tenacity had two people developing and running the class and two working on the phone for money. Holly got all the fundraising credit, but Cyndi was working on that, too--even getting donations during her day away. As far as it was shown, Rock Solid had Maria and Bret working on the class stuff and Sharon on the money. I'm not sure that a fundraising task is fair with uneven numbers.

Also...I would have fired Holly for using the word "task" as a verb as in "I tasked Summer and Curtis with...". She did it multiple times. :wall:

ArtisticFan
04-27-2010, 03:02 AM
I agree. Tenacity had two people developing and running the class and two working on the phone for money. Holly got all the fundraising credit, but Cyndi was working on that, too--even getting donations during her day away. As far as it was shown, Rock Solid had Maria and Bret working on the class stuff and Sharon on the money. I'm not sure that a fundraising task is fair with uneven numbers.

Yes, it certainy seemed unfair to Maria and SHaron to be moved from the "winning team" to the losing one complete with being down one person compared to the other team. It was almost like they were being punished for some reason.

Yes, I realize that at some point Donald mixes the teams up, but usually it is when there are even numbers.

It just didn't sit well with me. Other than calling for money instead of working out - what was it that Bret could have done any better? He got the bodies in there to take the place of the donors. He was one of the main creative forces behind the concept and helped Maria with the work out. Maria was working nonstop, as was Sharon. I just can't see where anyone could be faulted for that loss.

On the other team there were definate issues.

Japanfan
04-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Sharon could have been faulted for setting her donation targets too low and been sent home but Trump clearly did not want to see her go. I agree that he wants her there for the finale. And that the expectation was for Tenacity to lose, in which case Summer and Chris would have been fair game for firing.

And it was also unfair to judge the task by $$ brought due to the 3-4 split. Trump obviously considered Bret and Sharon to be equal to Summer, Holly and Chris in terms of money raising capacity.

But I do agree that the right decision was not to fire anyone from Rock Solid.

BittyBug
04-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Also...I would have fired Holly for using the word "task" as a verb as in "I tasked Summer and Curtis with...". She did it multiple times. :wall:task (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/task)
–noun
1. a definite piece of work assigned to, falling to, or expected of a person; duty.
2. any piece of work.
3. a matter of considerable labor or difficulty.
4. Obsolete. a tax or impost.
–verb (used with object)
5. to subject to severe or excessive labor or exertion; put a strain upon (powers, resources, etc.).
6. to impose a task on.
7. Obsolete. to tax.
–adjective
8. of or pertaining to a task or tasks: A task chart will help organize the department's work.
—Idiom
9. take to task, to call to account; blame; censure: The teacher took them to task for not doing their homework.

PDilemma
04-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Oh, of course someone has to go all dictionary on me.....

Know what? I really don't care that the dictionary includes it as a verb. It is probably doing so because the business world has decided to use it as one. It is not a common usage and your dictionary definition lists no example. It also notes that as a verb it is used with an object. Holly used it with a prepositional phrase and no direct object--"tasked with..."--so she was still incorrect.

And it also sounds stupid.

genevieve
04-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Oh, of course someone has to go all dictionary on me.....

Know what? I really don't care that the dictionary includes it as a verb.
You don't have to like it (I don't care for that usage either - agree that it sounds like corporate-speak, like "growing your business" which drives me up a wall), but if it's in the dictionary, she wasn't wrong.

PDilemma
04-27-2010, 06:46 PM
You don't have to like it (I don't care for that usage either - agree that it sounds like corporate-speak, like "growing your business" which drives me up a wall), but if it's in the dictionary, she wasn't wrong.

Actually, according to your dictionary explanation, it is used as a verb with an object. In the boardroom she used it this way "Curtis and Summer were tasked with..."

That was incorrect because the only object in the sentence was the object of the preposition "with". There was no object for the verb. Her first usage, "I tasked Curtis and Summer with...." was okay because "Curtis" and "Summer" were objects of her verb "tasked". Her second usage was incorrect.

However, I firmly believe that we should avoid sounding stupid even if our stupidity is correct according to the dictionary or the rules of grammar. It is perfectly grammatical for my students, for example, to write in a persuasive essay a sentence that begins "when you are executed". If an independent clause follows that phrase, everything is punctuated correctly, and all the words are used correctly, there is nothing wrong with the sentence. It is still not a good sentence to put in an essay, though, because none of their readers (usually me and a few of their classmates) are facing execution. So the grammatically correct, and correct-according-to-the-dictionary sentence is, in fact, problematic and should not be used.

Speaking and writing effectively are matters of more complexity than just following rules.

Japanfan
04-28-2010, 01:15 AM
Know what? I really don't care that the dictionary includes it as a verb. It is probably doing so because the business world has decided to use it as one. It is not a common usage and your dictionary definition lists no example. It also notes that as a verb it is used with an object. Holly used it with a prepositional phrase and no direct object--"tasked with..."--so she was still incorrect.

And it also sounds stupid.

"Tasked" is used as a very quite commonly and I don't think it sounds stupid at all. We word-types all have are peculiarities in terms of likes and dislikes, but that doesn't mean that what we dislike is wrong. I don't care for "the fact that" and the repetition of the same proposition in one sentence, but neither is wrong.

"I was tasked with the duty of caring for the children" is pretty much the same as "I was delegated the duty of caring for the children". But 'tasked with' denotes more responsibility than 'delegated' and the nuance can make the use of 'tasked' preferable.

soxxy
04-28-2010, 02:18 PM
"Irregardless" drives me crazy.

Just thought I'd throw that in. ;)

Marilou
04-29-2010, 12:16 AM
How about "orientated" That one really get's me!! ;)

PeterG
04-29-2010, 12:42 AM
For my fellow grammar cops (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/search.php?searchid=1926938) (mid-April thread)

:kisses:

We know return you to our regularly scheduled thread. :P

soxxy
05-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Uh, oh, Summer is using "task" as a verb now.

Cindy is being warned again about being ditzy (they don't use that word). Holly feels Cindy needs to be kept in line and Curtis thinks they're "bitchy."

Curtis can't write a proper jingle for the plumbing company because he speaks "Australian."

Wow, Bret has an incredibly good speaking voice in the commercials.

martian_girl
05-03-2010, 03:18 AM
Wow, these guys are ultra-square. I'd love to see how they'd react to that one team's risque Tide commercial from last season. :lol:

And Rocksolid with the surprise victory!

HisWeirness
05-03-2010, 04:09 AM
Uh, oh, Summer is using "task" as a verb now.

Wow, Bret has an incredibly good speaking voice in the commercials.
In the boardroom, Summer was all "tasked" this and "tasked" that.

Bret's voice is great. Glad that Rocksolid won, and looking forward :watch: to Curtis being with Sharon and Maria next week after their :argue: in the boardroom. Looks like some :drama: next week.