PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir #8.5 - And the Goose is Golden

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

pani
08-03-2010, 08:42 PM
lol so not fair!! :P I never said anything about Meryl being a better dancer than Tessa. I know Tessa is great, ok? Meryl is just more interesting.

yes, I know this style gave them gold, blah blah. That will never make me like this style, though. If I stood up for Tessa and Scott, I'd only do that for their skating quality and speed, but surely not for the stories they show on ice..

I understand this, but what you want from Tessa i cant understand - she will never be Meryl (thank God - two Meryl in ice dance it will be too much).
And how could you know, why people stand up after there skating, after there OD, after FD? How could you know, why people start crying after there Mahler FD?
For me its boring to watch like short girl running around the ice and i dont know, what she want :D But people stand up after her skating too and i appreciate this

And about PF FD. I like, that D-Sh in PF looked relaxed and free - this was greate to watch and i an sorry, they didnt compete with this dance at WCh. But V-M PF FD was totally different - this dance had more interesting transition, plastic, elements. Like Tarasova said -about this FD - they show ALL new in this FD. But who is Tarasova for you

mia joy
08-03-2010, 09:04 PM
I understand this, but what you want from Tessa i cant understand - she will never be Meryl (thank God - two Meryl in ice dance it will be too much).

yeah, when did I say I wanted Tessa to be like Meryl? I'd just like Tessa and Scott to show sth different finally - but not PF different, cause that didn't work. That's all I want. You know, not everybody has to jump around and worship them, even if they have extraordinary skating abilities (which I see and appreciate, if you haven't noticed yet). Sometimes I just prefer skaters who have a bit more personality (like the Kerrs) and a little worse skating skills than the other way around.

And how could you know, why people stand up after there skating, after there OD, after FD? How could you know, why people start crying after there Mahler FD?

I don't know, but that's what you people have been telling me here - I say I don't like this "young seet lovers" thing, you say it's what gave them OGM and made people stand up after it. I said, it wouldn't make me stand up and named the things that would.

But V-M PF FD was totally different - this dance had more interesting transition, plastic, elements. Like Tarasova said -about this FD - they show ALL new in this FD. But who is Tarasova for you

You know, first of all, I don't like it when people get mean on somebody just for expressing their opinion, which is a bit different that theirs.
And then, yes, it had elements - and elements only, it wasn't a dance as a whole for me. Like I said - no point, no story, just some skating around. I still believe they can do better, though every season they seem to kill this faith inside me.

pani
08-03-2010, 09:21 PM
yeah, when did I say I wanted Tessa to be like Meryl? I'd just like Tessa and Scott to show sth different finally - but not PF different, cause that didn't work. That's all I want. You know, not everybody has to jump around and worship them, even if they have extraordinary skating abilities (which I see and appreciate, if you haven't noticed yet). .

Sorry, but i dont know any skater, who have only positive commnets - i remembrer critisism even about Torvil-Dea :Dn. I dont talk about Del-Sh or about Kerrs.
I like Kerrs, but this is sport and to be honest, Kerrs didnt show new elements during last 5 years. But i like there expression and there relationship with audience. And i like, they used rock music, but they skated the same FD during past two years.
And i cant understan one thing - if D-W skated the same FD during last 6 years (there favorite powerfull drama) - they could doing this. Why? Why they didnt need to change the style?
From you words about PF FD i think all understand, that you never will like, what V-M wiill show. I appreciate this. But you must say the truth - you didnt like V-m and this is not depend from what programs they will skate or not skate in future. At least you could didnt watch TV, when they start skating :D

mia joy
08-03-2010, 11:00 PM
And i cant understan one thing - if D-W skated the same FD during last 6 years (there favorite powerfull drama) - they could doing this. Why? Why they didnt need to change the style?

I don't know, because their style isn't as annoying as V/M's? :P kidding. Of course, everyone should show sth different once in a while, although it kind of doesn't bother me with other teams, perhaps just because too sweet is too much for me. I know, it's JMO.

From you words about PF FD i think all understand, that you never will like, what V-M wiill show. I appreciate this. But you must say the truth - you didnt like V-m and this is not depend from what programs they will skate or not skate in future.

Maybe you'll be surprised, but you're wrong. I actually used to like and support V/M, during their beginning in seniors. Valse Triste. I loved it. They were young and sweet and adorable, with great skills and most beautiful dress I've ever seen in FS :P But then the Umbrellas came and, I don't know, I liked it in the beginning, but then the whole "je t'aime, je t'aime" started to get on my nerves. It was actually the same dance as a year before (now don't tell me D/W's Polotsvian Dances was the same as Eleanor Rigby). It was only then, and even a year later, I noticed Meryl and Charlie. But still was ok with Tessa and Scott. But PF, you may not believe me, I sincerely didn't like it. It didn't have a soul. It was great dancing, but only dancing around. And then Mahler. It killed me. But it was only the moment I saw Mahler, when I gave up on Tessa and Scott, not earlier. You see it took me a lot of time. And if ever they show sth more interesting - which I still believe they're capable of - I won't help but like it, surely ;)

At least you could didnt watch TV, when they start skating :D

nope, I couldn't. I have to know how they skate to be able to compare. besides, how can you not watch Olympic and World champions? no matter how much they annoy me, I feel like I still have to watch them.

IoanaC
08-03-2010, 11:27 PM
[/QUOTE] But PF, you may not believe me, I sincerely didn't like it. It didn't have a soul. It was great dancing, but only dancing around.[/QUOTE]

With PF, I think they didn't have time to go very deep, to really relate to the music, because of the short training period. The only run-throughs they did were at competitions. It would have felt differently, had it been an ordinary season for them. It still was a great looking program.

flowerpower
08-04-2010, 12:21 AM
The thing I like about Marina is that she's in it to win it. To win Olympic gold within 4 years of being seniors, you've got to stick with what you do best and what you get rewarded for. She did that, and did it well. Now she's in support of going in a new direction. Why would V&M want to leave someone like that?

ITA.

Marina is also responsible for their Great Gig in the Sky FD, which I thought 1) had a lot of personality, and 2) was not about "two happy young people who fall in love."

That program is a very interesting one to me. When they first competed at Nationals (in the psychedelic costumes), the program looked like it was headed in a very sensual, even erotic direction - it was very soulful. Later, when they changed to the black costumes, the mood seemed to change as well - suddenly the emphasis was on body lines and angles, and the mingling of limbs - a modern dance emphasis. Very interesting and innovative (but very different from the direction they originally seemed to be taking).

When it comes to "personality", the Mahler was full of personality, but it won't rock everyone's boat. Of course, no style will. And I wish the ISU hadn't decided to limit the styles available to us (but that's a topic for another thread...)

sap5
08-04-2010, 12:35 AM
ITA.

When it comes to "personality", the Mahler was full of personality, but it won't rock everyone's boat. Of course, no style will. And I wish the ISU hadn't decided to limit the styles available to us (but that's a topic for another thread...)

That's the trouble. While mia joy didn't like PF, for me, it's one of my favorite programs. I don't want to see a story or a "main point" every time, and IMO, it had more soul than anything else they've done before or after. But that's just my view. They'll never be able to please everyone, so as long as they please themselves and enjoy what they do, I'll be a fan.

pani
08-04-2010, 09:29 AM
I (now don't tell me D/W's Polotsvian Dances was the same as Eleanor Rigby).

Why? Maybe first conception of ER FD was different, then other D-W FDs, but they couldnt show this conception to audience and this FD was change - and they change all new elements (enterence into the twizzles in first variation was really greate and they had 2 greate liftes, but change it) and we saw D-W style againe - we must running faster, faster with tipical drama face from Meryl and tripical out if the music face from Charlie.
If you saw Dusheneys ER you could understand, what is the different style could be used on this music. And i cant waite to watch ER FD from C-P, because Dean will made choreo for them.
I think the key word in your post is - you dont prefer V-M style and prefer D-W style. And this is only you problem. All cant like someone style. And i hope, Tessa will never made this drama face, like Meryl did and her lines still greate and Scott will not lose his personality on ice, because he didnt have Charlies hairs and need to show more, then only skating :D

pani
08-04-2010, 09:37 AM

I think V-M have more personality, then other teams and they show its really greate. They have another personality, then Kerrs or Del-Sh, but they have it - they didnt look, like other teams before.
I think, that to feel Mahler we could only to watch it live. You must feel this moment, when Scott watch to the audiens - its not sweet, he try to remember his love and Tessa came to him. And final position - this is really soul on ice.

mia joy
08-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Why? Maybe first conception of ER FD was different, then other D-W FDs, but they couldnt show this conception to audience and this FD was change - and they change all new elements (enterence into the twizzles in first variation was really greate and they had 2 greate liftes, but change it) and we saw D-W style againe - we must running faster, faster with tipical drama face from Meryl and tripical out if the music face from Charlie.

What I mean by changing styles, is not changing a team's style of skating, it's more about changing the atmosphere, the story you tell. Come on, you just have to admit Valse Triste, Umbrellas and Mahler is the same story told almost in the same way. With D/W's FDs - yes, they're all dynamic, powerful, dramatic, but they're not the same story shown over and over again.

You see, you don't like Meryl's drama face, I don't like Tessa and Scott's delighted faces :P

I think the key word in your post is - you dont prefer V-M style and prefer D-W style. And this is only you problem.

I don't think it's a problem, really. I kind of even like that going against the wind :P by my point in the first place wasn't that I don't like Tessa and Scott (and I said nothing about Meryl and Charlie until you brought them in this discussion), it was that Marina's idea of them might take away from them the chance to show sth different, to develop in a bit another direction. You know, once they're 25 or more, this kind of two sweet young people in love might get really old, annoying and boring. (of course if they decide to continue - but I'd be very disappointed if they ended their career next season).

pani
08-04-2010, 04:25 PM
For me ice dance its more about body moves and feelings, then story. Thats why V-M champions - they didnt show easy stories.
As for repeating - in 2006, 2008, 2010 story line of D-W FD was about women talk with phantom and two other FDs was about beautie queens with the same moves, like in others.

I re-watched today CD and OD from OG and really wonder - how Tessa and Scott was much better, trhen others. How much power they both have, like they are feeling music.

For me it will be sad, if Meryl and Charlie will win gold before they really start understand, what they skate not only doing, what Marina talk to do. And if WCh will be with this out of music face..... But maybe this is new ice dance - strong technick without emotions and music feeling

Dragonlady
08-04-2010, 04:38 PM
yeah, when did I say I wanted Tessa to be like Meryl? I'd just like Tessa and Scott to show sth different finally - but not PF different, cause that didn't work. That's all I want.

In your opinion.

As a Pink Floyd fan who has gone three three copies of the Dark Side of the Moon Album and is currently on my second DSOTM CD, I can tell you that for me, Del/Shoes program was absolutely dreadful. There was no expression of the music whatsoever and they could have been skating to anything.

I loved, loved, loved V&M's program and was sorry that Tessa was in such pain and they couldn't skate it out as intended.

For me, the V&M's program worked. Del/Shoes was a complete miss.

pani
08-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Tessa and Scott childrens photos on ice
http://community.livejournal.com/ontd_skating/718122.html

ildah
08-07-2010, 11:17 PM
In the videos from the Worlds in Los angeles in 2009, Tessa appears to have her old nose. Did she just have her nose done in the past year just before the Olympics? It makes quite a change. What it does is allow the prettiness of her face to be front and centre without distraction. I didn't think there was any problem with her looks before, but she looks quite different now.

nuge
08-08-2010, 06:17 PM
In your opinion.

For me, the V&M's program worked. Del/Shoes was a complete miss.

I disagree Delshoes captured the music and it was one of their best FDS.I really loved V/M PF too but it was so completely different :P