PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir #8.5 - And the Goose is Golden

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

maggylyn
03-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Cant we all just give them some time to think about it, rather than demand a decision right now? Yeesh.

Just speaking for myself - I've never felt they owe me/the public any announcement any time soon.

I'm just having fun trying to read between the lines. (Am I allowed to do that?)

And I think I tend to agree with OlieRow's view of things.

alilou
03-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Best season ever for Canadian dance duo
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/othersports/2010/03/28/13386931-cp.html

While the two haven't committed to competing next season, Thompson believes they will.

"I don't think anyone should read into (their waffling) at this stage," Thompson said. "They had a goal, they wanted to finish this season, then they have to sit and evaluate what they want to do next. They like to compete, they like to train, they're still young.

manleywoman
03-29-2010, 08:40 PM
manleywoman, any chance of a podcast with them?

Your interviews are always so interesting and in-depth; my compliments to you!

Thanks. Would love to!

If anyone knows them, send them my info. :cool:

jenji124
03-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Cant we all just give them some time to think about it, rather than demand a decision right now? Yeesh.

I'm not demanding anything. Of course speculation is going to come now that it is the end of the season and they are so young. I don't think there is any harm in wondering what they are going to do.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-30-2010, 01:53 AM
Just speaking for myself - I've never felt they owe me/the public any announcement any time soon.

I'm just having fun trying to read between the lines. (Am I allowed to do that?)

And I think I tend to agree with OlieRow's view of things.

You can speak for me as well when it comes to any announcement of future plans. The season only officially ended last week. V&M and the rest of the skaters for that matter need time to unwind and regroup, maybe take some time off and then make decisions on their futures.

I do get where the curiousity is coming from though. I don't think most people would be as antsy for definite word had Tessa and Scott not won the gold in Vancouver and Torino. For most skaters being champions is the ultimate goal and as competitors V&M have done that even though they are barely into their twenties. :respec:

The selfish fan part of me is glad that V&M seem to want to grow artistically and experiment with new programs. I'd like for that experimenting to take place in the eligible arena although with the (stupid) new rules set down by the ISU it does seem to put a limit on what V&M and the rest of the teams can skate to. :rolleyes: If V&M's artistic growth is ultimately shown off in exhibitions it will be disappointing but I'll get over it.

As for reading between the lines. I think when it comes to their off ice relationship, I feel as if Tessa and Scott were having fun with the fans and the media but it may have backfired on them. All the winks and nudges and some of the comments that Scott has made only added fuel to the fire. Especially for those fans who have this fairytale in their minds that Scott and Tessa are together or will be at some point.

nlyoung, like you I'm happy that Tessa and Scott aren't a couple. It is true that people deal with things differently but often times when a couple breaks up off the ice it interferes on ice as well.

I rememeber back in the days of T&D, neither Jayne or Chris could go public with their relationships off ice because if would ruin the "image." I think that most of us are mature enough to be past that by now. Knowing that most of the teams aren't in relationships off ice doesn't affect my being able to be pulled into their programs on ice if the chemistry is there. A&P were also amazing at looking as if they were crazy about one another.

Being icedancers at times is no different than acting and V&M are great actors something helped along by their close friendship.

sap5
03-30-2010, 02:07 AM
As for reading between the lines. I think when it comes to their off ice relationship, I feel as if Tessa and Scott were having fun with the fans and the media but it may have backfired on them. All the winks and nudges and some of the comments that Scott has made only added fuel to the fire. Especially for those fans who have this fairytale in their minds that Scott and Tessa are together or will be at some point.

I don't think it's backfired at all. That kind of thing doesn't just sell newspapers -- it sells tickets. T&D knew it, and so do V&M. So long as they and their S.O.'s can handle it, it's probably not hurting anything.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-30-2010, 02:19 AM
When I typed my post I wondered if it came across the way I meant it. By backfired I meant that there are some fans who are taking the joking about V&M's off ice relationship too seriously (I'm not referring to anyone here). Of course even mainstream celebrities have to deal with some fans who get a little bit too caught up in the "story" and it's probably not their jobs to have to edit what they say because of some of the more over zealous fans.

I didn't mean for what I said to come across in a negative way.

While I like many, love seeing teams skate together who have that type of :smokin: chemistry, I don't think I need to believe there is anything off ice in order to buy the on ice performances. And I don't think most do. I think what sells the tickets is what happens on ice. Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat looked like the cover of one of those bodice ripping romance novels come to life but often didn't get along at all off ice. That never dimmed my love of their programs.

Of course as usual I'm probably dead wrong and for some being able to imagine that Tessa and Scott are attracted to one another off ice is influencing their interest.

cailuj365
03-30-2010, 03:50 AM
Of course as usual I'm probably dead wrong and for some being able to image that Tessa and Scott are attracted to one another off ice is influencing their interest.

Well, to be fair, you've watched a lot more figure skating than the normal person, and your more mature point of view is influenced by the fact that you've seen many similar couples with great chemistry but no off-ice relationship. Easily separating fiction from reality probably comes very easy to you. However, there are many who can't do that, especially young girls and new viewers who probably assume pairs/dance skating is more "The Cutting Edge" than anything else. Fabricated or not, Tessa and Scott's chemistry is definitely one of their biggest selling points and likability factors when you watch them (the "ohmigod, they are adorable together!!" reaction), and it does keep a lot of viewers interested in watching them.

I think they have a lot more to offer in ice dance. I'd love to see them let loose and experiment with other styles and programs now that they've accomplished pretty much all major goals. I'm sure they can snag a GPF title with a non-romantic program if they really want to... I'm also loving their rivalry with D/W. I expect the scores to be even closer next year and they will probably go back and forth with titles. How exciting would that be!

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-30-2010, 04:45 AM
Good points cailuj.

When Kate Winslet announced her separation from her husband I got a kick out of how many people (some who aren't young girls) made comments about her and Leo DiCaprio finally getting together.

maggylyn
03-30-2010, 05:05 AM
Well, to be fair, you've watched a lot more figure skating than the normal person, and your more mature point of view is influenced by the fact that you've seen many similar couples with great chemistry but no off-ice relationship. Easily separating fiction from reality probably comes very easy to you. However, there are many who can't do that, especially young girls and new viewers who probably assume pairs/dance skating is more "The Cutting Edge" than anything else. Fabricated or not, Tessa and Scott's chemistry is definitely one of their biggest selling points and likability factors when you watch them (the "ohmigod, they are adorable together!!" reaction), and it does keep a lot of viewers interested in watching them.

I think they're perfectly aware that they're seen as "adorable" together (and yes, when they skate, they are) and they've learned good PR surrounding that issue.

When I first saw them skate, I did wonder if there was anything going on off-ice. But then I very soon saw that they were adamant about being brother-sister and I've never doubted that they're absolutely resolved on keeping things non-romantic in their personal lives. I think most fans really do accept this and could care less about the off-ice stuff.

IMO, most of the OTT gushing about "romance" sounds like junior-high girls. They're just so Loud about it! That's probably what makes it seem as if aalllll their fans wish they were together IRL.

maggylyn
03-30-2010, 05:09 AM
Good points cailuj.

When Kate Winslet announced her separation from her husband I got a kick out of how many people (some who aren't young girls) made comments about her and Leo DiCaprio finally getting together.

You've got to be kidding! I haven't heard that. This just strikes me as so absolutely ridiculous - talk about not living in reality.

And here I was just saying that it Has to be just young girls.
Well, I guess some never grow up.

:rolleyes:

cailuj365
03-30-2010, 05:44 AM
I think they're perfectly aware that they're seen as "adorable" together (and yes, when they skate, they are) and they've learned good PR surrounding that issue.

But it's not even just when they skate though. They're pretty much adorable all the time, including their off-ice interviews. When Scott brushes Tessa's hair out of her face during an interview or holds her from behind to help her with her golf swing, what does that signal to the viewer? You can roll your eyes at me, but that is seriously just adorable. I think if we saw fantastic, on-ice chemistry and an ordinary, civil off-ice friendship, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

When I first saw them skate, I did wonder if there was anything going on off-ice. But then I very soon saw that they were adamant about being brother-sister and I've never doubted that they're absolutely resolved on keeping things non-romantic in their personal lives. I think most fans really do accept this and could care less about the off-ice stuff.

IMO, most of the OTT gushing about "romance" sounds like junior-high girls. They're just so Loud about it! That's probably what makes it seem as if aalllll their fans wish they were together IRL.

Maybe fans who have followed them for years before the Olympics accept their relationship for what it is, but I would actually say that a good portion of the viewers and fans who first saw them in Vancouver want/expect/would-not-be-surprised to see them together. They started off their Olympic FD with a cheek nuzzle. To us fans, we understand that teams will do such things before the skate to capture the mood. To everyone else, it's like, "Wait, are they dating?" and the wheels in people's heads start turning. They've also avoided using the "brother-sister" parallel recently, probably for the PR as well as theirs being a sincerely unique relationship.

Besides, does this guy look a junior high school girl to you? Open Letter (http://trueslant.com/colinhorgan/2010/02/25/tessa-virtue-scott-moir-dating/) He wasn't serious with the letter, but it's his most popular post so far, lol!

I mean, I can't really fault people for wishing that they were together. It'd be the "perfect," Hollywood ending that we've been exposed to since "The Cutting Edge" and also off-ice pairs like Gordeeva and Grinkov. Sending Scott emails or joking with him like they're "in-the-know" about their relationship and he isn't is too much though. :rolleyes: :lol:

mishieru07
03-30-2010, 09:22 AM
They're pretty much adorable all the time, including their off-ice interviews. I think if we saw fantastic, on-ice chemistry and an ordinary, civil off-ice friendship, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Maybe fans who have followed them for years before the Olympics accept their relationship for what it is, but I would actually say that a good portion of the viewers and fans who first saw them in Vancouver want/expect/would-not-be-surprised to see them together. They started off their Olympic FD with a cheek nuzzle. To us fans, we understand that teams will do such things before the skate to capture the mood. To everyone else, it's like, "Wait, are they dating?" and the wheels in people's heads start turning. They've also avoided using the "brother-sister" parallel recently, probably for the PR as well as theirs being a sincerely unique relationship.

Those of us who have been following them for sometime are fully aware that they're not together. We also know that in figure skating, as with any dance or theatre performance, skaters typically channel characters, which may or may not be a true representation of themselves. The ordinary audience probably does not, and it doesn't help that Scott and Tessa are very convincing. I showed a couple of my friends their FD; no one believed me when I said they didn't date. It's such a pity V/M won't consider venturing into acting!

I do think Scott's right in claiming their relationship is very unique. It's certainly not simply "brother-sister" imo. I wouldn't be caught DEAD behaving the way V/M do off-ice with my brother. It's just ... wrong.

As a FS fan, I'm more fussed about what they do on-ice. Of course, it would be nice if they do get together but that's like icing on the cake. My chief concern is they continue skating so I have someone to fawn excessively over! :D As for their off-ice relationship, Que Sera Sera. If it is meant to be, it will be someday.

Now, moving on to their plans for the future. I'm not as cynical as Olie. Someone mentioned previously that SC would try to convince them to stay and that was proven correct. I will guess that they will stay in for next season to give W/P and C/P more time to develop. Canada needs V/M to retain 3 spots at Worlds. Also, I think V/M's competitive nature will encourage them to try for a complete set of medals (ie GPF) and not go out without a perfect skate a la Yu Na. I was a bit surprised when Scott told Pingu they'll be in Nice; unless he meant as commentators or something.

Yeah Carmen, I fear for all the dancers next season. The suggested rules are downright stupid and restrictive; urgh. ISU is so trying to get ice dance removed from the Olympics.

Well, I hope they're having fun in Monacco! Will JSOI be broadcasted like FOI? I really like the line-up and hope to see some performances!

Bue
03-30-2010, 11:00 AM
I do think Scott's right in claiming their relationship is very unique. It's certainly not simply "brother-sister" imo. I wouldn't be caught DEAD behaving the way V/M do off-ice with my brother. It's just ... wrong.

Yes, it's definitely a little different than brother-sister. While they were waiting to go onto the ice for their OD warmup Scott had his arm around Tessa and the embrace ended in some serious bum-patting. (I was watching with my binoculars :lol:). It was super adorable, but I doubt John makes a habit of patting Sinead's rear! I did think, oh Scott, this is what makes people think you guys are together! Anyway, I understand the wanting them to date thing, but I hope people will start to give it a rest now. It's kind of silly.

sap5
03-30-2010, 03:55 PM
When I typed my post I wondered if it came across the way I meant it. By backfired I meant that there are some fans who are taking the joking about V&M's off ice relationship too seriously (I'm not referring to anyone here). Of course even mainstream celebrities have to deal with some fans who get a little bit too caught up in the "story" and it's probably not their jobs to have to edit what they say because of some of the more over zealous fans.

We've all been talking about how sad it is that attendance has been falling at skating events. If V&M's "fauxmance" attracts new fans and gets them to buy tickets, I'm all for it. Ice dance isn't exactly the most audience-friendly sport -- especially when the judging takes time and effort to understand. People might not want to admit it, but it's a heck of lot easier to attract new fans through something like this than the purity of skating. Hopefully some of the fans who were first attracted to V&M because of their "story" will fall in love with the sport of skating!