PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir #8.5 - And the Goose is Golden

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

JamieSix
03-29-2010, 04:30 AM
I just realized that V/M achieved the figure skating "triple crown" this year: Nationals, Olympics, and Worlds. :D

shan
03-29-2010, 04:39 AM
I just realized that V/M achieved the figure skating "triple crown" this year: Nationals, Olympics, and Worlds. :D

Wouldn't you count the GPF as more than Nationals? Not to get technical or anything! :P :lol:

JamieSix
03-29-2010, 04:45 AM
Wouldn't you count the GPF as more than Nationals? Not to get technical or anything! :P :lol:

lol IDK, maybe. If they won GPF then that would make it a Quad Crown. But Nationals is important, too, I guess. I mean, I remember a documentary on Yamaguchi saying she won the Triple Crown by winning Nationals, Olympics, and Worlds.

Bue
03-29-2010, 10:56 AM
Has this article been posted?
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/FigureSkating/2010/03/27/13379421-cp.html

Also, Mike Slipchuk said in another interview that Skate Canada will be "encouraging" V/M to continue competing, but he doesn't believe they are planning to retire anytime soon.

canbelto
03-29-2010, 04:43 PM
What Scott and Tessa do off the ice is their own business, but I must say that their chemistry on-ice is really something. Case in point: their exhibition "Jack and Diane." It's a throwaway program looks like it was thrown together in 5 minutes and probably was. But the lingering holds and embraces between them make it hot stuff!

manleywoman
03-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Sorry, but somehow I missed why their lift is called "the goose." Can someone explain?

Debbie S
03-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Sorry, but somehow I missed why their lift is called "the goose." Can someone explain?Originally it was called "the eagle" (I guess b/c Tessa looked eagle-like perched on Scott's back with her arms outstreched). But then Scott said in some interview that they decided to change the name b/c "eagle" sounded too American and "goose" sounded more Canadian (i.e. Canadian geese).

nlyoung
03-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Am I the only one who prefers the fact that they aren't linked off the ice? I think it is far easier to remain in sync when you don't have to worry about a personal relationship as well. Best friends works for me :).

maggylyn
03-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Has this article been posted?
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/FigureSkating/2010/03/27/13379421-cp.html

Also, Mike Slipchuk said in another interview that Skate Canada will be "encouraging" V/M to continue competing, but he doesn't believe they are planning to retire anytime soon.

There seems to be a progression in the interviews. Immediately after the Olympics they sounded so vague about the future, so - "we don't know what's next." I can imagine it must be hard to regroup mentally when you feel you've achieved all your goals.

Doesn't it seem that the more recent interviews are less vague, more about the excitement of new things for them in skating? And I don't mean new, as in doing shows, but it seems it is more about experimenting with new programs in the competitive arena.

Maybe I'm reading what I want into it. But I do hope they're leaning toward staying in.

I'm so jealous of you guys who get to see them live in SOI. Although I'm hoping I can go to the SOI show that comes around here in May, and see D/W.

maggylyn
03-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Am I the only one who prefers the fact that they aren't linked off the ice? I think it is far easier to remain in sync when you don't have to worry about a personal relationship as well. Best friends works for me :).

Well, it has worked out fine for some pairs and dance teams to be linked romantically and obviously, not for others. There isn't any kind of blanket-rule that applies to all.

What works best is what works for each individual team. Only those involved know what's best for them.

OlieRow
03-29-2010, 06:16 PM
There seems to be a progression in the interviews. Immediately after the Olympics they sounded so vague about the future, so - "we don't know what's next." I can imagine it must be hard to regroup mentally when you feel you've achieved all your goals.

Doesn't it seem that the more recent interviews are less vague, more about the excitement of new things for them in skating? And I don't mean new, as in doing shows, but it seems it is more about experimenting with new programs in the competitive arena.

Maybe I'm reading what I want into it. But I do hope they're leaning toward staying in.

I'm so jealous of you guys who get to see them live in SOI. Although I'm hoping I can go to the SOI show that comes around here in May, and see D/W.

Here's how my cynical self views it. They give an interview saying they don't know what's next, they have to sit down and discuss it. Everyone freaks out that they might retire and that's not so good for making endorsement deals, etc. Suddenly, we have an article where Scott's quoted as saying "Have you heard I'm retiring!" and Tessa "snorts" in response. This is followed by more articles and interviews that sound more like they're considering staying in. I'm pretty sure a lot of this is PR, if we're believing what they've said about waiting until things die down and then coming together and making a plan, they haven't discussed anything yet so nothing would've really changed between the press conference and all the more recent interviews. Of course, having skated together so long they probably have a sense of what the other is thinking, but still, we probably won't find out for a while what their plans are and trying to read anything into comments is pretty tough. Although it does sound like "retire" would probably mean just from competitions and not from shows/tours/etc. I think they could do CSOI each year and still go to school and pursue other things.

jenji124
03-29-2010, 06:28 PM

I think you're right about them staying. It seems that's how they are leaning. I hope we're both right! :lol:

I live in the Cleveland area so I am close enough to Canada to go see them. I'm seeing the Cleveland show on 4/30 then a friend and I are driving up to Hamilton to see the show on 5/1. I can't wait.

Bue
03-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Here's how my cynical self views it. They give an interview saying they don't know what's next, they have to sit down and discuss it. Everyone freaks out that they might retire and that's not so good for making endorsement deals, etc. Suddenly, we have an article where Scott's quoted as saying "Have you heard I'm retiring!" and Tessa "snorts" in response. This is followed by more articles and interviews that sound more like they're considering staying in. I'm pretty sure a lot of this is PR, if we're believing what they've said about waiting until things die down and then coming together and making a plan, they haven't discussed anything yet so nothing would've really changed between the press conference and all the more recent interviews. Of course, having skated together so long they probably have a sense of what the other is thinking, but still, we probably won't find out for a while what their plans are and trying to read anything into comments is pretty tough. Although it does sound like "retire" would probably mean just from competitions and not from shows/tours/etc. I think they could do CSOI each year and still go to school and pursue other things.

The cynic's view! :lol: You may be right, of course, I hadn't looked at it that way. But there was another article, written after the one posted above, that quoted Scott in the post-free press conference. He said something like, "After performing that skate it definitely feels like I want to compete for another year." And didn't Scott tell pingu (was it pingu or another poster?) "See you in Nice!"? That's two years from now!

But I agree they must know more or less what they are doing and where the other person's head is at.

manleywoman
03-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Cant we all just give them some time to think about it, rather than demand a decision right now? Yeesh.

flowerpower
03-29-2010, 07:53 PM
manleywoman, any chance of a podcast with them?

Your interviews are always so interesting and in-depth; my compliments to you!