PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir #8.5 - And the Goose is Golden

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Rafter
03-24-2010, 05:44 PM
I absolutely adore Virtue and Moir. But does Scott think just becuase he's an Olympic champion that his opinion should be valued more so than others?

Scott, humility is cool.

Since when is Moir saying his opinion should be valued more than others? That is not what I got out of his statement at all.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-24-2010, 07:50 PM
I have to respectfully disagree that the CD's are finally being judged correctly. Just because we reached a point in which the NA teams were the strongest in the dance competition doesn't mean that was true in the past (I realize this may be the wrong thread for this conversation).

And as much as I adore V&M and respect D&W's technical prowess even this year they lucked out with Max's knees being in horrible shape and Isabelle's giving birth in the fall. DomShabs fairly beat the field (they lucked out when the Tango Romantica rather than the Golden Waltz was drawn) and if DelShoes had competed all season they probably would have finished in the top two as well as Isabelle and Olivier are known for being excellent CD skaters.

Actually, IMO it's been the OD and FD events that have had the worse judging. I feel that some of the teams who were great at the CD's should have dropped a few placements after the OD and FD. It's in the more "creative" portions of the dance event where the judges (especially pre CoP) had some room to play around a bit and they could fall back on the subjectivity excuse. After all how does one prove whether or not someone was really moved by certain music or choreography unless you could figure out how to read minds.

Even though I feel that some teams have been given a bit of a cushion or outright held up, some of those teams actually were excellent when it came to pure technical skating. I'm thinking of G&P and DomShabs among others. Even with F/P&M (another touchy topic because they were hated) in Torino while I don't think they should have been first the CD that was chosen played to F/P&M's biggest strength. Namely Barbara being an excellent skater. Tracy explained that with the Ravensburger four years ago it was all about the women. The female partners had all the difficult steps while the man just guided them through it. I agree with them being in the top three.

Anyway, back on topic.

I liked Tessa's CD dress but she does have a tendency to wear washed out colors and this season some of the colors might not have been as flattering in addition to some of her costumes being a bit more matronly. Especially for someone as pretty and young and Tessa is.

mishieru07
03-25-2010, 03:56 PM
V/M just scored a new PB in the OD - 70.27! (34.30 + 35.97) Total 114.40. D/W in 2nd with 112.54. F/S in 3rd with 100.01

Gratz V/M; they must have skated very well! :respec: Looking forward to the FD tomorrow!

ALLEZ V/M!

Skate Order up: V/M will skate 18th, right after D/W and before F/S in the final flight.

Rafter
03-25-2010, 06:14 PM
V&M had to change the end of their OD over fear of an illegal move.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/virtue-moir-in-close-battle-for-skating-gold-at-worlds/article1511997/

maggylyn
03-25-2010, 06:44 PM

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/virtue-moir-in-close-battle-for-skating-gold-at-worlds/article1511997/

It's so absurd that this can happen, apparently on a whim.
How can a technical caller/panel have this kind of power, after the "move" has been ok for the entire season?

Ridiculous. :mad:

jenji124
03-25-2010, 07:20 PM

I don't understand this at all. How can a lift be good for one competition and illegal for the next? Absolutely ludacris.

ximianKernel
03-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I think Joubert got penalized on his SP in 2008 Worlds for having vocals on his music, despite being acceptable on previous competitions that season. So I guess they are just being cautious

karen
03-25-2010, 09:15 PM
^That's true, he did. He hadn't been deducted for it all season and then suddenly he was at worlds. It was smart of them to be cautious for sure!

Also... WOW that they came up with a new ending and performed it without really practicing it! I thought something looked different, but couldn't figure out why.

bookworm
03-25-2010, 10:37 PM

The first thing I thought when I saw this was "Not again!"

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-26-2010, 01:17 AM
V/M just scored a new PB in the OD - 70.27! (34.30 + 35.97) Total 114.40. D/W in 2nd with 112.54. F/S in 3rd with 100.01

Gratz V/M; they must have skated very well! :respec: Looking forward to the FD tomorrow!

ALLEZ V/M!

Skate Order up: V/M will skate 18th, right after D/W and before F/S in the final flight.

:respec: :cheer2: Tessa and Scott.

Everytime V&M have skated their OD this season I've watched it holding my breath. I'm very happy that whatever the issues were earlier in the season they seem to have overcome them. Excellent performance in Torino and while some didn't care for Tessa's makeup, I thought she looked gorgeous with the smoky eyes.

Scott as usual had amazing expression. I love watching him skate for that reason. Very passionate.

I've got my fingers crossed for the FD (just in case). Are we getting another new dress or rather one we just haven't seen yet?

flowerpower
03-26-2010, 02:00 AM
:respec: :cheer2: Tessa and Scott.

I've got my fingers crossed for the FD (just in case). Are we getting another new dress or rather one we just haven't seen yet?

I wonder if we'll get the pink dress? Hard to say.

At first I wasn't sold on the white concept, but after seeing Tessa's Olympic FD dress, I really think that Marina was right about the colour. The Olympic dress seemed perfect to me.

mishieru07
03-26-2010, 03:09 AM

Again? What's going on? Why do they keep having to change their lifts? :mad: All this behind the grapevine talk is getting too much. Some consistency please judges and TCs!

That said, to change your programme without even practicing it once on the ice and still pull it off without a hitch ... Holy cow! :respec: And they set a new WR with that skate too. Their OD (and FD) has improved SO much compared to TEB; well done V/M!

Carmen, I was a nervous wreck during their skate, especially since they have a history of messing up the twizzles in the OD (for the last TWO years at Worlds). Maybe it was a good thing that there's no feed, it would have been too much for my nerves! :lol: Looking forward to the FD later today (or rather, tomorrow 5 am).

I think white's probably the best choice but I don't mind the pink either!

Good luck V/M!!! :cheer2:

I really hope they decide to stay in for at least another season or two. I don't expect them to stay until Sochi but if they retire after Worlds, no matter the final outcome, I'll cry.

OlieRow
03-26-2010, 03:16 AM
Kinda crazy that tomorrow could be the end of their competitive career...

iDanceonice
03-26-2010, 05:02 AM
Awh, I sure hope not. But if that's what they decide, then I am happy to know that they will (hopefully) go out on the best note possible.

Shallwedance
03-26-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't think they have any intention of ending their competitive career. I believe whatever they decide and announce, careerwise, will apply to next season only. Then they'll review before deciding the season after that.