PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir #8.5 - And the Goose is Golden

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

aymkjb88
03-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Great CD from both VM and DW! These 2 teams will be great rivalry in ice dance in the next Olympic cycle.

HSGP21
03-23-2010, 10:33 PM
If V/M win the gold this go around, I bet they will be done...

Shallwedance
03-24-2010, 01:42 AM
If V/M win the gold this go around, I bet they will be done... I don't. I think they expect themselves to win gold, and whether or not they do, it won't impact their plans.

My sense is if they do not compete next season, the plan is to possibly take a year off from the GPS and other comps, including Nationals and Worlds, in order to capitalize on what Tessa has described as a spotlight (on skating, not just them) that has a short window. That if they connect with opportunities during that window, it would be great. I think they see themselves as skaters and that the coming season might potentially be the time to look at non-eligible "business" opportunies while the chance is there. But not to move on from eligible skating completely. Just give themselves a chance to make contacts and build business relationships (sponsorships, etc.) outside of Skate Canada while different entities are eager to capitalize on the post-Olympic glow.

Then I imagine they'll have another conversation next season about returning to the eligible circuit. Even if they take 2010-2011 season off, I don't think they'll not skate. They'll skate, just not competitively.

TalentedButHumble
03-24-2010, 02:58 AM
My lawd, just watched their Worlds CD all the way through (had just seen a brief bit earlier). They could actually make me enjoy watching CDzzz. I mean, it was such an elegant performance.

In a couple recent articles they've spoken about how anonymous they are in Michigan. Not to me. :) But it's almost as if they've chosen to keep a low profile. I never get to see them around here because, as far as I know, they haven't really participated in any local exhibitions, etc.

flowerpower
03-24-2010, 03:18 AM
In a couple recent articles they've spoken about how anonymous they are in Michigan. Not to me. :) But it's almost as if they've chosen to keep a low profile. I never get to see them around here because, as far as I know, they haven't really participated in any local exhibitions, etc.

I imagine that they'll probably continue to maintain a low profile in Detroit, because they seem to really value the opportunity to lead normal lives, and that won't be possible any longer in Canada. They're well on their way to becoming household names here, and they'll be recognized all the time.

It's kind of nice to have a bit of a refuge, where you can go about your work in a low-key way. But I hope you have a chance to see them at an occasional exhibition!

Excidra
03-24-2010, 03:27 AM
"But most of the talk post-game was about the compulsory dance fading into history.

ďWe think itís outdated,íí said Moir. ďI donít think the results really speak true when they come out after compulsory dances and I donít think itís necessary anymore in todayís sport of ice dance.

ďItís kind of holding us back. Thatís my opinion. But what do I know? Iím only the Olympic champion.Ē

I absolutely adore Virtue and Moir. But does Scott think just becuase he's an Olympic champion that his opinion should be valued more so than others?

Scott, humility is cool.

flowerpower
03-24-2010, 03:54 AM
"But most of the talk post-game was about the compulsory dance fading into history.

ďWe think itís outdated,íí said Moir. ďI donít think the results really speak true when they come out after compulsory dances and I donít think itís necessary anymore in todayís sport of ice dance.

ďItís kind of holding us back. Thatís my opinion. But what do I know? Iím only the Olympic champion.Ē

I absolutely adore Virtue and Moir. But does Scott think just becuase he's an Olympic champion that his opinion should be valued more so than others?

Scott, humility is cool.

Well, according to one article, this is what happened immediately after he said that:

Then the 22-year-old smacked a hand over his mouth.

ďIíve never used that before. Thatís so in every paper tomorrow. Iíve got to start censoring.Ē

He`s great with the one-liners, very funny, but sometimes he shoots from the hip and misses the mark a bit. But he`s definitely a good kid - confident, not arrogant.

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-24-2010, 05:36 AM

......Scott, humility is cool.

At least this time around he realized what his statement must have sounded like.

I also have to respectfully disagree that the CD's are outdated. The ISU doesn't get a lot right but adding new CD's (even if those CD's were only competed once) was a step in the right direction. Perhaps they also could have updated the music or something but I still think it's a bad idea to eliminate them completely.

And the fact that he and Tessa are Olympic champions kind of contradicts Scott's feelings that the results don't speak true after the CD and that CD's hold them back. Perhaps I just don't understand what he means by holding them back. Is he saying that having to focus on the CD's is why V&M's FD's haven't been more creative artisitically?

flowerpower
03-24-2010, 05:54 AM
And the fact that he and Tessa are Olympic champions kind of contradicts Scott's feelings that the results don't speak true after the CD and that CD's hold them back. Perhaps I just don't understand what he means by holding them back. Is he saying that having to focus on the CD's is why V&M's FD's haven't been more creative artisitically?

Charlie White made a similar comment about the CD marks not always reflecting what's on the ice......perhaps this is what Marina and Igor believe?

About CD's "holding them back", it's hard to say what they were getting at - they really didn't elaborate. Tessa did mention that many hours are spent on training the CD's, and she feels those hours could be better spent on the other programs...so maybe that's the point.

Sounds like Tessa/Scott and Meryl/Charlie agree on this topic, for better or worse.

mishieru07
03-24-2010, 06:40 AM
Sounds like Tessa/Scott and Meryl/Charlie agree on this topic, for better or worse.

It's probably a team Shpilband sentiment. Seems like he's never really bothered with CDs until the Olympics rolled around this year.

I am quite sad that they're removing CDs! It doesn't make for good tv but it's the fundamentals of ice dance - good, solid edging, timing, character etc. I hope they keep it at the junior level at least.

Isn't it ironic that the top-ranked teams in the CD are calling for its retirement while the lower-ranked teams are lamenting it's (soon to be) demise? Considering that they're pretty good CD skaters for their ages, you'd think they'd want to keep the CDs around a bit longer.

Bue
03-24-2010, 11:18 AM
It's probably a team Shpilband sentiment. Seems like he's never really bothered with CDs until the Olympics rolled around this year.

Yup, sounds like that whole camp prefers to focus their attentions on the other two portions. Or maybe that's how Shpilband feels and he's just brainwashed the kids into his viewpoint...

I thought I read somewhere on these boards or in an interview that the CD portion wouldn't be gone altogether but would be replaced by some sort of short 'rhythm dance'. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Shallwedance
03-24-2010, 04:04 PM
I think the cd's are FINALLY being judged fairly, that the top teams are finally performing them in a way that engages the audience, and it would be stupid to ditch them now. The Schpilband teams seem to believe that at the senior level, how something is skated doesn't relate to the scores - that it's politics. Well sure, in the past it was a way to rubber stamp the final podium. But IMO not now. Last season, okay, this season, politics worked to ensure a fair result. Marina was very strategic inviting the inventor of the Tango romantica to Canton and then publicizing that she worked with Canton's top Olympic contenders. It would have been very difficult for the judging team to then lowball such quality skaters who were known to have the stamp of approval of the very person who invented the compulsory.

I think it's what sets ice dancers apart from figure skatings, there's a refinement compulsories create in ice dancers that no ohther figure skaters possess.

Scott seems to feel the Canton teams should have been top two after compulsories. Arguably, but the compulsory of the Russian team was strong and had a powerful and mature expression. Maybe the Russian team didn't deserve to be scored ahead of B&A in the od and the fd, but in the cd first or second was fine.

ice.dance.girl
03-24-2010, 04:41 PM
My friend says when she looked at Jessica Dube's Facebook profile, she had changed her relationship staus to "single". Anybody know if this is true?

No still says in a relationship with scott

ice.dance.girl
03-24-2010, 04:42 PM
I really liked the style of Tessa's dress but the colour was just awful

dncrgrl
03-24-2010, 05:04 PM
I really liked the style of Tessa's dress but the colour was just awful

Yes, lovely dress, but the color does nothing for her. It makes her look washed out. Tessa is so pretty. It would be better for her to wear a color that suits her.

Meryl's purple CD dress is gorgeous. It shows off her lovely coloring.