PDA

View Full Version : Virtue & Moir #8.5 - And the Goose is Golden

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

bbkenn
03-20-2010, 06:18 AM
While I agree that they totally deserve a break, I'm in the camp that says they've only scratched the surface of what they could do artistically, and possibly even technically. As they are still so young emotionally, imagine what they could do as they themselves mature. I hope that when they take their time off, they'll really think about this. As for college, there is lots of time for Tessa to continue her education, many people get their degrees later in life. I think they will continue to pull fans back into skating if they continue to compete and having Davis and White as their challengers, could prove to be very exciting.

jl22aries
03-20-2010, 09:19 AM
How unfortunate would it be for one partner to be ready to move on while the other wanted to remain eligible? Does anyone else get the sense that this could be the case? The Good Morning America interview gave me that impression. But now I am just dissecting up the crack hole.

pani
03-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I read an interesting quote in one russian article. Its about ner direction of ice dance. That this new direction is very interesting, and people like it, but if all teams will skate like this, it will be boring. Author said - "if we will have most teams skate, like D-W, it will be boring during time, because all this super-technick didnt have soul, truth emotion, in wich ice dance was known before. We have now only one team, who could show all this technick with soul, with emotions - you coundt stop watching there skating - its V-M. But girl have problems with her legs and mabe couldnt skate after this OG. Without this team, i think, new direction of ice dance will not be interesting".

I think coaches must think about this. And i juniors we have teams, who could be emotional and show good technick (maybe not, like D-W, but goo). And maybe ice dance now must go on this direction - V-M direction, not D-W direction. Meryl and Charlie could have a prigress in interpretation too i believe in this, but if hudges will give all 1 places, they dont need to do this.
I think, that maybe ISU must ask V-M to stay (like Cthey did with Denkova-Staviisky) - for bild in competition with D-W more emotionals and choreo difficult programs.
As for age. You know, i have feeling, that ISU, ice dance technical cometee will think about this and we will not have such a young champions soon. I dont know why i think like this, but will see.

And i think journalists did a lot off speculation about V-M retriement. V-M talk one think, journalists talk - they didnt need anything if theu will win WCh. And journalists talk, like V-M will not skate in showes. I dont know, maybe they have more information.

Bue
03-20-2010, 01:21 PM
This is an interesting discussion and I agree with everyone who said, "well they just had a life changing season, of course they need time to think things through!" I guess it's important to remember this.

But barring some terrific breakthroughs from the up and coming, lower ranked teams, without a V/M-D/W rivalry ice dance next season is going to be boring. Who else can realistically rival D/W right now? I enjoy F/S but I think they have reached their peak. I love P/B's voidiness but they do not have the technical goods. K/N - don't even get me started on Novitski's weaknesses. These teams are not realistic competition.

C'mon guys! I want a (friendly) rivalry for the ages! :)

pani
03-20-2010, 01:37 PM
One more interwie with Zueva and Shpilband
http://www.eg.ru/daily/sports/18161/

Marina talk, like he come to Canada - all her skaters stop skating in USSR and Fedaration didnt give her new skaters. That she worked with Karen Cadaivy and canadian pair teams.
She said, that Tessa is very artisticall, because she have ballet classis during 14 years. That V-M and D-W are very competitive wich each other, but support each other during competition.
But i like one thing the most. She said - V-M skated really graete in Vancouver, bat they need grow and a lot off to do in skating. They are now, like young lovers, who like spend time together, i hope during the time they will skate even better.
Hope Marina will tell this to them - that they are not on the top of there skating yet.

flowerpower
03-21-2010, 12:39 AM
This article was written in Quebec after the very same press teleconference that the icenetwork reporter participated in (it was just the standard pre-Worlds press conference).
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/autres-sports/patinage-artistique/201003/20/01-4262597-un-titre-mondial-pour-virtue-et-moir.php

Here's an interesting quote from Tessa that was not included in the other stories:

«Nous aimons patiner ensemble et nous le ferons sans doute encore longtemps, mais nous n'avons pas encore eu le temps de réfléchir à ce que nous ferons la saison prochaine... et les suivantes», a souligné Virtue.

"We like/love to skate together and we will undoubtedly do it for a long time, but we haven't yet had the time to think about what we'll do next season, and the following ones", emphasized Virtue.

pani
03-21-2010, 08:38 AM
This article was written in Quebec after the very same press teleconference that the icenetwork reporter participated in (it was just the standard pre-Worlds press conference).
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/autres-sports/patinage-artistique/201003/20/01-4262597-un-titre-mondial-pour-virtue-et-moir.php

Here's an interesting quote from Tessa that was not included in the other stories:

«Nous aimons patiner ensemble et nous le ferons sans doute encore longtemps, mais nous n'avons pas encore eu le temps de réfléchir à ce que nous ferons la saison prochaine... et les suivantes», a souligné Virtue.

"We like/love to skate together and we will undoubtedly do it for a long time, but we haven't yet had the time to think about what we'll do next season, and the following ones", emphasized Virtue.

Its sound much better, then all, what journalists post in another articles - retiement, stop patnership. I think this sound more realistic - they will deside skate in pro or at competitions - sound greate!

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-21-2010, 06:00 PM
.......without a V/M-D/W rivalry ice dance next season is going to be boring. Who else can realistically rival D/W right now? I enjoy F/S but I think they have reached their peak. I love P/B's voidiness but they do not have the technical goods. K/N - don't even get me started on Novitski's weaknesses. These teams are not realistic competition.

C'mon guys! I want a (friendly) rivalry for the ages! :)

I wouldn't be so quick to say P&B won't/can't rival D&W. Perhaps not this year but P&B have beaten them in the past and with a program with content that was more difficult than this years Requiem FD (Organ Donor). We've all seen instances of teams coming back from the off season looking faster and more competitive with the other teams. P&B are able to handle more (I always wonder why teams who are capable of doing certain things don't include those things in their programs) and they will enter into the 10/11 season as the top French couple. No longer being slated behind DelShoes (who did deserve to be France #1) will help. Or maybe I'm just biased because I love P&B. If V&M leave eligible skating, Nathalie and Fabian are one of two or three teams who would keep me watching icedance.

D&W may have a year or two being the top internationally if V&M turn pro (I'm really hoping they don't) but I don't think they will keep that posititon for the next four years. By the time Sochi rolls around they'll also (knock on wood) have I&K to deal with.

Also if F&S stay in even one more year they might be seen differently now that the judges aren't focused on Delshoes, DomShabs and B&A (though it seems B&A were demoted) as well as V&M, D&W and K&N. Federica and Massimo have improved a great deal training with Krylova & Camerlengo and if they stay and their goal is the podium then I would imagine their training would be just as involved as the Shpilband group. Their coaches would know what has to be done to get them where they need to go. While D&W have speed and technical difficulty, I think F&S do some things better.

Of course it all depends on what the rules look like next season. If there are changes that help the other skaters as much as this years rules helped D&W.

I do think at the moment it looks as if this is the first time since I don't know when we don't really have a truly deep field internationally. Unless I'm forgetting someone.

shan
03-22-2010, 02:39 AM
While D&W have speed and technical difficulty, I think F&S do some things better.

yeah, like the O face!! :lol:

Carmen Ovsiannikov
03-22-2010, 03:14 AM
It's funny, I never noticed Federica's face until someone pointed it out during Europeans. Now as much as I love F&S's FD, my eyes go straight to Fede's face; especially after the halfway point. I notice that from the halfway mark to the end Fede skated the rest of the program with her mouth wide open.

So thanks a bunch to whomever it was who first noticed that. :P :lol:

shan
03-22-2010, 03:59 AM
It's funny, I never noticed Federica's face until someone pointed it out during Europeans. Now as much as I love F&S's FD, my eyes go straight to Fede's face; especially after the halfway point. I notice that from the halfway mark to the end Fede skated the rest of the program with her mouth wide open.

So thanks a bunch to whomever it was who first noticed that. :P :lol:

I know what you mean, I am so distracted by the face I try to watch him or their skates....

Bue
03-22-2010, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to say P&B won't/can't rival D&W. Perhaps not this year but P&B have beaten them in the past and with a program with content that was more difficult than this years Requiem FD (Organ Donor). We've all seen instances of teams coming back from the off season looking faster and more competitive with the other teams. P&B are able to handle more (I always wonder why teams who are capable of doing certain things don't include those things in their programs) and they will enter into the 10/11 season as the top French couple. No longer being slated behind DelShoes (who did deserve to be France #1) will help. Or maybe I'm just biased because I love P&B. If V&M leave eligible skating, Nathalie and Fabian are one of two or three teams who would keep me watching icedance.

D&W may have a year or two being the top internationally if V&M turn pro (I'm really hoping they don't) but I don't think they will keep that posititon for the next four years. By the time Sochi rolls around they'll also (knock on wood) have I&K to deal with.

Also if F&S stay in even one more year they might be seen differently now that the judges aren't focused on Delshoes, DomShabs and B&A (though it seems B&A were demoted) as well as V&M, D&W and K&N. Federica and Massimo have improved a great deal training with Krylova & Camerlengo and if they stay and their goal is the podium then I would imagine their training would be just as involved as the Shpilband group. Their coaches would know what has to be done to get them where they need to go. While D&W have speed and technical difficulty, I think F&S do some things better.

Carmen, I hope you're right. I really enjoy P/B but I think they've been a mess this year, particularly in the FD. Did they put together one decent set of twizzles all season? (I am genuinely curious because I can't recall one.)

And I think you're right that it will help P/B that they are the top French couple and it will help F/S that they are Linichuk's top couple. We'll see if they bring the goods.

Also agree that D/W would have only one or two years at the very most of being unrivalled at the top (minus V/M). I think lots of exciting things will start happening after next season.

I'm still counting on Tessa and Scott to stay, though :)

icedance
03-22-2010, 07:30 PM
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/olympics/canadians-virtue-and-moir-gunning-for-one-medal-thats-missing-world-gold-88840807.html

Bue
03-22-2010, 09:05 PM
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/olympics/canadians-virtue-and-moir-gunning-for-one-medal-thats-missing-world-gold-88840807.html

Thanks icedance. That is a great article, it covers so much.

On the other hand, Virtue is just 20, while Moir is 22, making them the youngest ice dance champions in history. If they continued skating with similar success, they could become one of the most remarkable ice dance teams ever.

"That's exactly what we need to think about," Virtue said.

"A lot of our goals have nothing to do with placement," Moir pointed out. "We'll know when our skating career is over by how we think we've progressed over the years, and if we think we've got to a place where we're not going to get any better, then it's time to retire."

If I were going on this article only, I'd say they're not done yet.

BellaSTRARSSA!
03-22-2010, 09:16 PM
:cheer: So happy to read that article, thanks for posting it!

It's nice to hear Tessa & Scott talk in detail about wanting to achieve more within their skating, not just winning titles or medals. I think that's exactly the right goal to keep them competitive with the teams staying in as well as the juniors who will move up to seniors.