PDA

View Full Version : Evan Lysacek on Dancing with the Stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

skatemommy
03-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Well at least being in an ice rink his whole life he has heard the Viennese Waltz (my least favorite Gold dance...)

aymkjb88
03-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Great new interview from TV Guide!

http://www.tvguide.com/dancing-stars/evan-lysacek-dancing-1016117.aspx

Evan Lysacek: Dancing a Chance to "Prove Critics Wrong"

TVGuide.com: You've gotten some criticism over your career for being more athletic than artistic. Does that fire you up even more to tackle dancing?
Lysacek: Yeah, you're right. That's definitely one of the reasons why I wanted to do the show because I have been criticized, really throughout my whole career, for not having musicality, having no grace, no dance ability, which people have said. It's kind of my opportunity to prove critics wrong, I hope. I'm just working hard and listening to Anna. She's my partner, but she's my coach too. She's trying to figure out a way to get over the bump and teach me how to have finesse.

TVGuide.com: Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic kept reminding us during the Olympics that you put in more hours than any other skater they know.
Lysacek: That's my philosophy. I may not be the best dancer from the start, but I'll work the hardest. Skating is not like dancing where you have to learn a different style. Skating is like, I learn the choreography and I perfect only the moves that I have in my program. When I perform my program, I can tell if the elements are good because I've been working on them for eight months, but as far as a specific type of movement and style and being able to do it instantly, this is so much harder. But I'm here to work hard and learn fast.

One thing I really admire Evan is that he takes all the negatives, such as the adversities, the injuries, the critics in a positive way, with no excuses, and works extremely hard and smart to overcome the obstacles, and keeps improving himself all the time. That's what makes him a WINNER. :respec:

Regardless of the result, I'm sure this experience will help him to become a better skater next season. Go Evan! :cheer2:

skatemommy
03-12-2010, 02:32 AM
You know, I am so looking forward to this because unlike Kristi, Evan really isn't perfect like she was. Yes, they are both hard working and yes Kristi has had 2 kids, but I really feel like Evan has something to prove, whereas Kristi everything comes natural and she didn't have to prove anything except the phenom athelete that she is. No dis to either, but this should have some drama! Plus I do think it's harder for the men (non-dancers) to shine. Anyway, much more exciting that American Idol for sure!

danceronice
03-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Kristi's also a follow, Evan has to be a lead (or run the risk of the "stand around while the girl dances" charge--which is a fair cop, very few male competitors on DWTS actually DANCED--John O'Hurley, Apolo Ohno...not many others.) Good pro-am pro women CAN cover a bit (less obviously than most of the girls on the show do it) but only so far.

screech
03-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Wow, in that ET interview... hee hee when he goes "I feel like it's really polite so far though and I respect my partner so much that I'm having a hard time like 'yeah yeah yeah'" (wiggles down/dirrrrty voice) "let's get down and dirty!" That made me laugh too hard and her reaction was great.

It was interesting to hear how things are different for him, like with the shoes. You can tell he's not used to a partner though from when they're interviewed. He doesn't look at her when they're talking, whereas pairs usually look at each other.

Sasha'sSpins
03-14-2010, 02:49 AM
Has this already been posted? Interview with Evan & Anna that includes some dance practice footage (Viennese waltz IIRC):
http://www.whiotv.com/etonline/22782578/detail.html

Thanks for posting! Nice interview.

This should be fun-the last time I watched DWTS's was when Gilles Martini :grope: and Shawn Johnson were on it.

I'll watch again now for Evan-and Buzz-can't wait!

I agree with the poster who said Evan seems too loose-but he's only just begun, and hopefully he will improve if he's not voted off too early.

LadyNit
03-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the link to the interview. :)

I'm impressed by the 'soft arms' that Evan is showing during his waltz practice. It will be interesting to see if he can keep that arm technique when he does his waltz during the competition.

orbitz
03-14-2010, 11:03 PM
You know, I am so looking forward to this because unlike Kristi, Evan really isn't perfect like she was. Yes, they are both hard working and yes Kristi has had 2 kids, but I really feel like Evan has something to prove, whereas Kristi everything comes natural and she didn't have to prove anything except the phenom athelete that she is. No dis to either, but this should have some drama! Plus I do think it's harder for the men (non-dancers) to shine. Anyway, much more exciting that American Idol for sure!

I disagree a little bit about Kristi had nothing to prove. I never considered Kristi an artistic skater at all. To me she was only doing what she was told, and because she wasn't clumsy at doing it, people labeled her as "artistic", especially when her main rivals were Harding and Ito. I also felt that Kristi was not good at playing characters on the ice. Her facial expressions in the En Vouge and Bjork performances at World Pro were laughable, IMO. So it was a very pleasant suprised for me when Kristi came off so sure and natural on DWTS. With the possible exception of the tango number, Kristi was able to get into the emotion of the dances without it feeling forced or awkward. I have so much more respect for Kristi now as a performer than when she was skating actively.

I hope Evan does well. I'm just not sure if Anna can come up with anything that really show him off like Julianne was able to do with Apollo. It also didn't hurt that Apollo also had a bionic booty, LOL.

Carolla5501
03-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Kristi's also a follow, Evan has to be a lead (or run the risk of the "stand around while the girl dances" charge--which is a fair cop, very few male competitors on DWTS actually DANCED--John O'Hurley, Apolo Ohno...not many others.) Good pro-am pro women CAN cover a bit (less obviously than most of the girls on the show do it) but only so far.

I don't think any of the men really "lead" LOL! But I agree that they have to watch out for the "standing" around charge. The good female pros make the men look like they are leading, but.... the women are in charge there!

aymkjb88
03-16-2010, 03:59 AM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4348385&id=355535165816

Looking great and adorable!

danceronice
03-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Eh...I watched Apolo's samba with a world professional Smooth champion and highly respected female pro-am coach. This is not a lady who gives compliments lightly even to her own students. She was highly impressed. Apolo managed to really *dance* it. And way way back on season one, John did as well, especially on Smooth and Standard (and given who his pro was that's not surprising.)

And one of the rare shining moments of a DWTS male celeb doing exactly what a lead ought was Ty coping when Chelsie tripped. He couldn't dance much, but he was grasping the concepts. (Of course given the sheer number of metal parts, if I were Ty I'd just be happy I could get out of bed and walk every day....)

I don't know how Anna's going to do--she doesn't often get really good partners on DWTS and I don't believe she has much pro-am experience herself (although her husband has a very successful pro-am student so maybe he could give some pointers?)

TalentedButHumble
03-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Is this going to be the thread for the show? Or one in Off the Beaten ...?

I've only watched this show for a few of the athletes who've been on. Out of this group just know Buzz Aldrin :respec: the football player and Evan the best. But some of these other "reality stars"? :blah: :yawn: :rolleyes:

Ran across this article about the sportscaster Erin Andrews. Nice pic of Max. :smokin:
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/mar/22/andrews-prepares-dancing-debut/

neptune
03-23-2010, 10:08 PM
I So it was a very pleasant suprised for me when Kristi came off so sure and natural on DWTS. With the possible exception of the tango number, Kristi was able to get into the emotion of the dances without it feeling forced or awkward. I have so much more respect for Kristi now as a performer than when she was skating actively.

I guess that's very subjective. I talked to someone today who actively watched DWTS when Kristi was on it, and I asked her what her impressions of Kristi's dancing were. She said, "Technically, Kristi was impressive. She basically did what she was told, and did it very well. But artistically she just wasn't as good."

Anyway, I'm impressed that Evan is currently in second. I bet he's pretty pleased. :)

aymkjb88
03-23-2010, 10:24 PM
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2010/03/dancing-with-the-stars-has-a-record-setting-premiere-castle-high-too.html

Dancing with the Stars has a record-setting premiere

It's all about the casting: The most talked-about assemblage of "Dancing with the Stars" contestants in a while drove the series to the biggest premiere audience in its history.

The 10th cycle of "Dancing" premiered to an audience of 24.2 million people Monday night (March 22). That's 1.4 million more viewers than the show got for its spring debut last year (22.8 million) and a whopping 6.4 million more than the show's relatively lackluster fall premiere in September (17.8 million).

The show, whose cast this time around includes the likes of Pamela Anderson, Kate Gosselin, Olympic gold medalist Evan Lysacek and NFL star Chad Ochocinco, also matched its best-ever premiere numbers in adults 18-49 with a 6.4 rating.

Wheeee! :respec:

Evan did a great job, smooth, beautiful and very elegant, although he still has big room to improve, the debut was very impressive! Keep up the nice work Evan and Anna! :biggrinbo

barbk
03-23-2010, 11:17 PM
I guess that's very subjective. I talked to someone today who actively watched DWTS when Kristi was on it, and I asked her what her impressions of Kristi's dancing were. She said, "Technically, Kristi was impressive. She basically did what she was told, and did it very well. But artistically she just wasn't as good."

Anyway, I'm impressed that Evan is currently in second. I bet he's pretty pleased. :)

I watched the season with Kristi, and except for the Tango, thought she did very, very well both technically and artistically. Her first dance (a foxtrot) was quite a bit better than Evan's first dance (a waltz). Evan looked more self-concious, and I think that he was having more trouble getting his feet into the right places than Kristi did. Kristi also managed really great extension on almost all of her moves, and that's something that you just didn't fully see in any of this season's competitor's last night. Evan had great arm extension, but not so much elsewhere.

Interesting to hear his comment about the spins going in the opposite direction in dance -- I hadn't ever thought about that.