PDA

View Full Version : Evan Lysacek on Dancing with the Stars

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

ryanbfan
05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
New article from FSO: Evan Lysacek was underscorred in DWTS finale

http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2010/05/25/evan-lysacek-underscored-in-dwts-finale/

cruisin
05-25-2010, 03:43 PM
New article from FSO: Evan Lysacek was underscorred in DWTS finale

http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2010/05/25/evan-lysacek-underscored-in-dwts-finale/

I watched the Viennese, and I agree, it should have garnered a 30. Their connection, unison, flow were beautiful. But, the freestyle was not good. In addition to it being frantic, there was no unison, and that is a major bad in dancing.

attyfan
05-25-2010, 03:44 PM
... I did feel sorry for little Anna last night when she was sitting on the mats crying after Evan blew her off and said, "I'm going to the rink". She looked so pathetic. It could have been the edit, but if it was, what a jip! I bet it didn't do him any favors with voters. He looked like a tool.

I thought Anna was crying earlier, also. She struck me as uncharacteristically stressed -- maybe, her choreography wasn't up to her usual standard for that reason. The schedule of DWTS and SOI may simply have caught up with them at the worst possible time.

OTOH, Evan has been known to come back strong after doing badly ... (remember the 30 for his tango, after getting slammed on the samba?)

rfisher
05-25-2010, 03:48 PM
They get to pick their best dance to do tonight. Paso FTW :cheer2:

screech
05-25-2010, 03:54 PM
My favourite of the freestyles was actually Erin and Maks. I loved that they did something completely different and out of even Maks' comfort zone. It weirdly reminded me of Cooper's ballet from the end of Center Stage. Maks and Erin had a great argument for doing the contemporary style of dance, and I think it really worked for them.

But did anyone else notice that Maks said that the dance told their story? So I guess that means that they HAVE spent a lot of time rolling around in bed together. Rowr!

ryanbfan
05-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Voting is over... now I'm nervous :(

cruisin
05-25-2010, 04:06 PM
My favourite of the freestyles was actually Erin and Maks. I loved that they did something completely different and out of even Maks' comfort zone. It weirdly reminded me of Cooper's ballet from the end of Center Stage. Maks and Erin had a great argument for doing the contemporary style of dance, and I think it really worked for them.

But did anyone else notice that Maks said that the dance told their story? So I guess that means that they HAVE spent a lot of time rolling around in bed together. Rowr!

Reminded me of the Center Stage dance as well. In fact a few moves were borderline rip offs. I never liked Cooper's Ballet in Center stage. I felt it relied too much on props and wardrobe/hair changes. Though the dancing parts of it were good. As for Erin and Maks, there wasn't enough dancing to really critique dance.

TygerLily
05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
I think Evan probably didn't get why she was so resistant to a Broadway/show type number (because she's seen them not win before) but she didn't have a great alternative, while she was stressed because she can't do the hiphop-type routines that usually win.I thought she was pushing for the Broadway style choreography not him. Did I get that backwards?

Cheylana
05-25-2010, 04:58 PM
I did feel sorry for little Anna last night when she was sitting on the mats crying after Evan blew her off and said, "I'm going to the rink". She looked so pathetic. It could have been the edit, but if it was, what a jip! I bet it didn't do him any favors with voters. He looked like a tool.
Actually, he said that he had to go skate, I think he meant he had to go do his SOI performance or go to the practice session. I really think it was a bad edit.

I wish they had done a Singing in the Rain routine, it could have been a shoutout to his 2004-05 freeskate and super-cute!

cruisin
05-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Actually, he said that he had to go skate, I think he meant he had to go do his SOI performance or go to the practice session. I really think it was a bad edit.

I wish they had done a Singing in the Rain routine, it could have been a shoutout to his 2004-05 freeskate and super-cute!

I agree that he probably was not being obnoxious when he said he had to go to the rink. I don't think he blew her off. But he was a little diva-ish about doing a more broadway type of dance. he had no idea what to do and was acting kind of :rolleyes:. I doubt Frank would have put up with it.

REO
05-25-2010, 05:29 PM
I don't want to be too cynical - but I will be. lol I can see a setup for Erin to win. She is the most improved there's no doubt and viewers love to see the underdog win. There's also no doubt that Nicole is the best dancer and has been all through the competition so that's no fun. I can totally see Nicole and Evan being nitpicked out of first place to make a "good" show. I guess we'll see tonight.

REO
05-25-2010, 05:36 PM
But he was a little diva-ish about doing a more broadway type of dance. he had no idea what to do and was acting kind of :rolleyes:. I doubt Frank would have put up with it.

Ya think? lol

I do agree with Retry about the song for the Viennese Waltz. Piano Man is not a romantic song. It's about dudes sitting in a bar. :confused:

stevlin
05-25-2010, 06:00 PM
I would hate to see Nicole and weirdo Derreck win because Nicole is a professional dancer. She dances to choreographed music with the Pussy Cat Dolls. Dancing is way different than figure skating. I hope Evan and Anna win. I can't stand derrick and his hogging the camera ways.

danceronice
05-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Reminded me of the Center Stage dance as well. In fact a few moves were borderline rip offs. I never liked Cooper's Ballet in Center stage. I felt it relied too much on props and wardrobe/hair changes. Though the dancing parts of it were good. As for Erin and Maks, there wasn't enough dancing to really critique dance.

That was exactly my thought, except Ethan Steifel did a better job with the "remind you of something" leg action on the bed. (And that it was silly when Center Stage did it, and it's STILL silly.)

Anna is a professional Latin dancer. She does not have a background in hip-hop, freestyle, contemporary, etc. The overwhelming majoity of ballroom dancers don't. Most have, if anything else, ballet to some degree. And not even all those who compete professionally do their own routines--either their coaches or a specifically-hired coach does. I don't know how much choreography Anna's done in the past, but she's only made finals once IIRC (and wikipedia's right). Most of what she's had to do on the show has been stringing together routines with pretty basic figures and a few highlight moves that her star could do. The freestyle, they expect (or in the past have expected) something totally different. I can see why she'd be stressed. And I definitely had the impression Evan wanted to do something show-tuney while Anna didn't think that would be what the judges wanted. (I had the feeling it wouldn't have mattered--they didn't want to like whatever Evan did.)

Cheylana
05-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I agree that he probably was not being obnoxious when he said he had to go to the rink. I don't think he blew her off. But he was a little diva-ish about doing a more broadway type of dance. he had no idea what to do and was acting kind of :rolleyes:. I doubt Frank would have put up with it.
I agree with you that it came off diva-ish, but I take the editing with a huge grain of salt. It seemed choppy, like they were looking to cobble together as many douchey-sounding comments as possible to make it look like Evan was doing nothing but criticizing Anna's suggestions, walking out in a huff and making Anna cry... I just can't imagine Evan doing that - first of all, he's been praising Anna to the heavens all season, and even putting that aside he's very image conscious, I just can't see him deliberately dissing Anna with the cameras rolling.