PDA

View Full Version : Rank the World Championship-winning ladies FPs from 2000-2009

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

ponta1
06-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Well, I know I'll get bashed for this, but it's only my personal preference so i don't really care. I enjoyed Shizuka's 2006 Olympics performance the best. I realize it was lacking technically, but there was just this something else to it that kept me mesmerized, and would never tire of watching that performance over and over and over and over.......:P

iarispiralllyof
06-29-2010, 08:56 PM
since we're on the topic of personal opinions, yu-na does almost nothing for me artistically. she is technically excellent and her jumps are flawless and seem to have more ease going into them than most ladies, but that's it.

also most of her programs are filled with choreography, but imo most of the choreography isn't effective but rather forced. she also puts effort into expressiveness.

I like gershwin but I didn't like her music choice for her lp nor the choreography. thus as technically excellent as her elements were (mostly her jumps) I just can't get moved or inspired by the performance beyond the technical level.

james bond was sassy/sexy but hardly the most inspiring short program of all time or anywhere near it. her choreography there was extremely overrated, as others have stated before me, that little gun move is hardly the epitome of brilliant choreography (she's not the first to use a gun move in a ladies fs bond program either...)

for me personally, yu-na seems to have long arms which some might call lyrical but to me they look gangly

Well, I know I'll get bashed for this, but it's only my personal preference so i don't really care. I enjoyed Shizuka's 2006 Olympics performance the best. I realize it was lacking technically, but there was just this something else to it that kept me mesmerized, and would never tire of watching that performance over and over and over and over.......:P

I watched that performance when it first came on youtube to death. I thought it was brilliant. it wasn't until afterwards when I read the technical analysis of it as well as compared it to her technically groundbreaking 2004 worlds performance that I realized it was nowhere near her best and quite restrained.

but I still think it's stunning. a lot of ppl say that regardless of sasha falling that night on romeo and juliet, sasha's artistry was much better than shizuka. I couldn't disagree more. shizuka may have a steely/stoic persona but she has these gorgeous long limbs and flow and the music was just spectacular. her icy face didn't affect her expressive footwork and gorgeous ina bauer. on the other hand everytime they did a closeup of sasha she put on that godawful fake romantic doe eyes expression. everytime she did that in her performances I rolled my eyes. sooo fake

I think most people were reacting to the music sasha used more than her artistic performance (beyond her spirals which are top notch), how was she embodying juliet? most of her choreography was just the typical fru fru pretty twirly arms variety.

caseyedwards
06-29-2010, 09:02 PM
I watched Shizuka's olympics performance and what was the ice coverage on that free skate Ina Bauer? That was amazing!!!

barbk
06-29-2010, 09:08 PM
I watched Shizuka's olympics performance and what was the ice coverage on that free skate Ina Bauer? That was amazing!!!

I wish more skaters who could do an Ina Bauer well would do one for more than a second or two.

caseyedwards
06-29-2010, 09:14 PM
I wish more skaters who could do an Ina Bauer well would do one for more than a second or two.

I think after a whole season of mostly seeing short Ina bauers seeing that caused wow reaction!.

briancoogaert
07-01-2010, 12:59 PM
About Kwan and her 3 titles.
My favorite is Song of the black Swan in 2001. It is the most complete program of the three.

The red violin in 2000 was very touching, strong, with an amazing glide. But it was too front-loaded for my taste. No transitions and only jumps in the first 2 minutes !

Her 2003 LP was just perfect. Simple but perfect. Jumps were perfect (except the 3Toe/2Toe), spins were perfect, footwork were perfect. And the crowd : wow, so emotional !

piano18
07-03-2010, 03:58 AM
Kwannie. Even if her 2009 performance in Korea was a shadow of her former self and wasn't a really good one!

museksk8r
07-03-2010, 04:08 AM
1. Michelle 2001

2. Michelle 2000

3. Michelle 2003

4. Shizuka 2004

5. Irina 2005

6. Yu-Na 2009

7. Irina 2002

8. Mao 2008

9. Miki 2007

10. Kimmie 2006

Spinner
07-03-2010, 05:11 AM
Kwannie. Even if her 2009 performance in Korea was a shadow of her former self and wasn't a really good one!

Are you serious? For someone 29 years old and out of the competitive scene for years, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3KuqVCm3v8) friggin' RAWKED! GO KWEEN! :respec:

iarispiralllyof
07-03-2010, 05:25 AM
she gained a little bit of weight which made her seem slower/more sluggish. other than that I thought she looked just like she used to...so I don't see what you mean by shadow of herself personally

VIETgrlTerifa
07-03-2010, 07:09 AM

What does her performance in Korea in 2009 have to do with ranking the World Championship winning LPs of the past decade?

Just another reason to put in an insult I guess.

Screenie
07-03-2010, 07:14 PM
My rankings:
1. 2004 Arakawa: This performance was ground-breaking! She set new technical standards with a 3lz-3toe-2loop and 3flip-3toe in the same program, and had created a superior artistic impact with Turandot. Her best performance ever!

Someone else probably already said this but it was a 3sal/3toe as the 2nd combo, not a 3flip/3toe

piano18
07-06-2010, 01:49 AM
She was slower than usual and not at all fit for her grande Olympic comeback. But back to topic, VIETgrlTerifa, on her best World FS performances of 2000s: I love her 2003 and 2001 performances most, and that has to be in the top 6. Yuna (Scherezade) and Kwannie (2003, 2001) FPs are ones I watch more than the other ladies. Mao had a fall in that 2008 FS so not on the top 10 list for me.

But my favorite performance from her is East of Eden from World Pros, 1998: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vN3DmQwCbc

I can rewind just to watch those spread eagles!

vassily
07-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Arakawa deserves the top spot, IMO. Kwan's 2 of 3 world titles takes the next 2 spots.

UGG
07-06-2010, 03:16 AM
She was slower than usual and not at all fit for her grande Olympic comeback. But back to topic, VIETgrlTerifa, on her best World FS performances of 2000s: I love her 2003 and 2001 performances most, and that has to be in the top 6. Yuna (Scherezade) and Kwannie (2003, 2001) FPs are ones I watch more than the other ladies. Mao had a fall in that 2008 FS so not on the top 10 list for me.

But my favorite performance from her is East of Eden from World Pros, 1998: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vN3DmQwCbc

I can rewind just to watch those spread eagles!

When was her Olympic comeback? Did I miss it? :P