View Full Version : Any Bobek Updates?

Pages : 1 [2]

CantALoop
03-19-2010, 03:56 AM
Maybe she's looking for a new Meth-od to make money. :P

Hopefully it'll be a career off ice. :D

Frau Muller
03-19-2010, 05:37 PM
She's become a "rehab for skaters" specialty therapist and is planning to set up her practice in Russia. :P

IceKween
03-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Each time I click on to this thread when there is a new post, I am hopeful that there is information re Bobek's situation. I hate to be such a downer, but I think that these sarcastic posts are hurtful. I have known people who have died from meth, who were killed during meth related transactions, and whose lives have been destroyed by meth. I have a dark sense of humor for the most part, god, so maybe there should just also be an alternative thread "Any Funny Bobek Updates?" where I know not to click on. Seriously, Nicole Bobek could have been killed by meth or the people she was around. It's not exactly a funny situation. I apologize for ruining the fun of this thread, but I for the most part wish her well, and hope she's doing what she can to turn her life around.

barbk
03-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Each time I click on to this thread when there is a new post, I am hopeful that there is information re Bobek's situation. I hate to be such a downer, but I think that these sarcastic posts are hurtful. I have known people who have died from meth, who were killed during meth related transactions, and whose lives have been destroyed by meth. I have a dark sense of humor for the most part, god, so maybe there should just also be an alternative thread "Any Funny Bobek Updates?" where I know not to click on. Seriously, Nicole Bobek could have been killed by meth or the people she was around. It's not exactly a funny situation. I apologize for ruining the fun of this thread, but I for the most part wish her well, and hope she's doing what she can to turn her life around.

I agree. Not much humor to be found here, and tremendous sadness for what she seems to have gotten involved with.

2sk8
03-19-2010, 11:37 PM
I agree - don't mean to be a killjoy, but drug addiction issues aren't funny & I was hoping for some actual news updates too. I'm not even a fan or very fond of her - and I've met her - but I still wish for recovery, rehabilitation & an improved life. Her situation is just sad. I'll save the jokes for something not directed at the individual in this case.

Winnipeg
03-22-2010, 04:07 PM
I was concerned about her too. Maybe this will be a wake up call for her to improve and stay clean in the future.

essence_of_soy
03-23-2010, 11:37 PM

Nicole Bobek is no longer a child or a teenager with an unstructured upbringing, but a 31 year old woman who is capable of making conscious choices. How could she not understand selling (and taking) drugs wouldn't get her into trouble? Does her celebrity status put her above the law?

While I am sorry for what this drug does to people and the lives it ruins, Bobek appears to have been part of this ring as an opportunistic dealer.

IceKween
03-24-2010, 01:27 AM
Nicole Bobek is no longer a child or a teenager with an unstructured upbringing, but a 31 year old woman who is capable of making conscious choices. How could she not understand selling (and taking) drugs wouldn't get her into trouble? Does her celebrity status put her above the law?

My post was not to say she is above the law. I was uncomfortable by the jokes about her meth addiction. Meth is apparently extremely addictive, so maybe what started as a one time experimentation led to a full fledged addiction for Ms. Bobek. It happens.
I just hope she's clean, and healthy. Of course she will have to deal with her actions legally. But it's not a funny situation. At least, I won't be making jokes about it.

HisWeirness
06-19-2010, 04:49 AM
Well, this just popped up in my news feed:

Bobek enters guilty plea (http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/figureskating/news/story?id=5303867&campaign=rss&source=OLYHeadlines)

Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Lisa Ledoux told the newspaper the 32-year-old Bobek pleaded guilty Wednesday to a charge of conspiring to distribute crystal methamphetamine.

At sentencing Aug. 5, Bobek faces a penalty that could range from probation to five years in prison.
:(

The Jersey Journal original source article about the plea (has some more details). (http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2010/06/former_figure_skating_champion.html)

(Link (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66980) to old Bobek thread when she was first arrested/charged)

If we need a new thread for this, mods, go ahead.

Clay
06-19-2010, 05:03 AM
I've seen a few bizarre youtube videos where she is performing in malls in Florida. They seem to be dated 2009. It looks like the same old Nicole, but I figured she wasn't performing any more.

museksk8r
06-19-2010, 11:54 AM
This whole story just kills my spirits. Why in the world do people get themselves into these types of situations? Well, I know the reasons why, but none of them ever make sense to me. How do they think they'll possibly get away with their actions in the long run without facing serious consequences? Nothing in life is ever that easy. :wall::(

Sylvia
06-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks, HisWeirness. I've started a thread in GSD using your article links: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73997