View Full Version : Terry Gannon

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

paskatefan
02-14-2010, 12:18 PM
What a joy to see Terry back! :encore: :D

sk8pics
02-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Yay, Terry!:encore::encore::encore:

Must email Universal Sports and thank them for this...

emason
02-14-2010, 02:09 PM
So happy that FSU posters can agree one one thing: Terry Gannon is made of awesome.

Sorry, but not all of us agree. I find him lackluster, boring and uninteresting. I just don't get the Terry Gannon excitement.

pilgrimsoul
02-14-2010, 09:40 PM
I heart Terry - so happy to see him covering the Olys! I miss listening to him at Nats.

missysays
02-14-2010, 10:01 PM
He was so sassy today. :D So funny with the researcher.

I think the show is still finding its sea legs and you can see he's trying to figure out how to keep an hour long talk show going- it's different from just doing play by play on an event with some summary at beginning and end.

But I liked seeing his sense of humor- he normally doesn't get that much time to show off the funnies. Though with this expanded time slot you can really see that Peter Carruthers is just painful to watch and listen to as an on-air personality. Hope they get more behind-the-scenes footage in once competition gets going- and send Peter out of the studio.

I liked seeing the combo of Terry with Lindsey Soto the day before. They were pretty cool together- nice chemistry and back/forth. Hope this turns into an expanded gig for Terry.

KayMil01
02-14-2010, 10:14 PM
They should replae Tom Hammond with Terry for the Figure Skating commentary. While they're at it, replace Scott with Paul and Sandra with Susie Wynn or Tracy...get the whole ESPN back together!

leesaleesa
02-14-2010, 10:16 PM
All we need is him and Mr. Button in the same booth - good times, good times

Oh, yeah. Dick and Terry played off each other so well. Peggy rounded out the trio, though she didn't say much that was funny or informative. Just chemistry, I suppose.

Throw Tara in the mix. We would get Uncle Dick and his looniness, Terry reigning him in, and Tara giving competent commentary.

Terry Gannon is hot, too. :)

Rex
02-14-2010, 10:19 PM
I loved it when Peggy and Dick would politely massacre the women with bad laybacks...memories :inavoid:.

Bostonfan
02-15-2010, 12:44 AM
I just don't get the Terry Gannon excitement.

Because he's one of the rare (dare I say ONLY) non-skater commentators that doesn't treat figure skating gigs like he drew the short straw. He approached figure skating with an open mind in the beginning and subsequently grew to love the sport. That's why many love him. He's shows respect to the sport, and in turn the fans show him respect.

pilgrimsoul
02-15-2010, 09:26 PM
My dream team for this show would be Terry and Mary Carillo - how awesome would they be together?!

genevieve
02-15-2010, 09:32 PM
My dream team for this show would be Terry and Mary Carillo - how awesome would they be together?!
I first read this as "dream podium" for this show :lol:

Terry + Mary + Tara = :smokin:

skatesindreams
02-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Because he's one of the rare (dare I say ONLY) non-skater commentators that doesn't treat figure skating gigs like he drew the short straw. He approached figure skating with an open mind in the beginning and subsequently grew to love the sport. That's why many love him. He's shows respect to the sport, and in turn the fans show him respect.

You spoke for me!
In addition, he admitted that when he began, he didn't know much. However, he wanted to learn; made the effort, and did so.
In an interview, at 2009 Worlds, he admitted how much he missed covering skating.

As a champion athlete himself; he understood the mentality in other people, and knew how to convey that to the audience.

missysays
02-15-2010, 10:55 PM
What I also like about him is that he seems to honestly enjoy the skating and the skaters. In today's show he asked about Stephane Lambiel's chances because he feels like he's hanging in a little under the radar and may have the momentum to challenge. It shows that he's invested enough that he is able to form opinions and predict outcomes like any skating fan.

When I listen to other non-skater sportscasters talk during the skating segments, I always feel they're just reading what the researchers have prepared for them and that they're not interested enough to express opinions or make accurate calls. I feel like he actually remembers the skating history that he's witnessed and can weave it organically into the conversation.

smarts1
02-15-2010, 11:12 PM
^ Definitely. I remember at 2007 Nationals with the controversy over Flatt's triple-triple, and Dick was like "Oh it was a flutz. I agree with the judges," but Terry was like "That wouldn't matter whether it was downgraded or not."

deltask8er
02-16-2010, 02:20 AM
Online chat he did a couple of years ago:

VanDerveer: You've covered so many sports, was there a sport that you started covering without being a fan of that you ended up liking a lot?

Gannon: Two sports, one being figure skating. I wasn't an aficionado when I started, but I've certainly grown to appreciate the personal sacrifice of the skaters. The singular aspect of the sport, the fact that their careers can hinge on four or four and a half minutes on the ice is outstanding. It has to be one of the scariest moments for an athlete, when you're out there all alone like that.

Mike Singer: Out of all the announcing you've done, what has been your most memorable moment?

Gannon: Rudy Galindo's win at the 1996 U.S. Figure Skating Championships in his hometown was as dramatic a moment as you can envision. Here was a kid without much money growing up who had lost a number of members of his family and a number of friends, taking one last chance at a great achievement against all odds. No one expected him to win, and I think the relationship and the feeling between the audience and that athlete at that particular time of his performance was unlike any other that I've witnessed, because they all knew what he had been through to get to that point.

http://espn.go.com/abcsports/wwos/chatwrap/terrygannon.html

I also remember him saying during a GP event at least 5 years ago that he thinks every sports fan should experience a couple of athletic feats live because TV doesn't do justice to how awesome they are. I remember one was seeing and hearing Tiger Woods hit a golf ball a couple hundred yards, the other was Shen & Zhao doing a throw triple jump. :inavoid: