PDA

View Full Version : Up in coming Russian Ladies Figure Skaters

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

altai_rose
04-20-2010, 02:04 AM
I'm surprised you all think Tuktamysheva is only strong on jumps. I think she has beautiful presentation and really works with the music. She also has a very light quality over the ice (much like Mao), and her spins are getting better and better.

oleada
04-20-2010, 02:08 AM
I agree with you, altai_rose. I think she's very musical and uses her arms wonderfully to express it. I like her basics. But her choreography could use work, even though I did love her SP this season.

ali_dorate
04-20-2010, 04:04 AM
I love Liza's LP "Asturias Leyenda" so much.
Does anyone know who choreographed this program?

FSUmessi
04-20-2010, 07:10 AM
For lady skaters, I think if they have some amazing results by 17-18, then they have a shot to be at the top, but if not, then I think it is just not meant to be. There are late bloomers but few and also they are usually not the best, even if they are among the top skaters. Those who have the potential to be the best have always shown results since their teens.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Fashionista
04-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Ovcharova is a good example of a young skater, who is packaged quite well I guess.
Can you name anybody else except her? Of her age group of course.

Tuktamysheva are all about jumps.
:eek:

Lipnitskaya has good basics all round and could pull off better choreo well, probably.

Sotnikova has quite decent SS but not much else.

I've seen Agafonova live and her programs were very luckluster too, her skating in general seemed awkward (would have to rewatch the programs for more detailed comments).
Are we really talking about 11-14 y.o. girls?:confused:

Ziggy, I don't think it's high standards, it's wrong standards if we talk about novice and junior ladies:)

miki88
04-20-2010, 12:56 PM
What about Joannie and Laura?

As I said, they may be among or near the top, but they are not at it. I am just saying it's not optimal to be a late bloomer in figure skating. Because you may be reaching your potential a little too late because younger girls will always be coming up that may be better. I think that's what happened with Joannie. She has gotten really good. With her ability, she's capable of winning major competitions but unfortunately she has to compete against Yuna and Mao who were phenoms since their early teens. They can improve but there are limits to what a skater can do once they get older, and that goes for even the best of skaters.

pinky166
04-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Can you name anybody else except her? Of her age group of course.

Anna and Adelina are the best packaged by far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s-c5Jw6MuE

This is a very cleverly designed program in that it uses Anna's musicality and expression to her advantage while concealing the fact that she can be a bit spastic through the intricate choreography that goes so well to the music. A lot of girls couldn't pull off a program like this but for Anna it works and her score shows that it went over well with the judges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAveyIuUfVo

This program is smart in that it uses Adelina's balletic, stretched lines to her advantage. The dancey choreography goes with the music. Also, the spirals coming out of her jumps conceal the fact that her technique is not the best.

Polina Shelepen's programs from last year were much better than her ones this year. She looks graceful and elegant so gangly and sloppy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Qb7ARRB1A

pinky166
04-21-2010, 12:46 AM
This girl is pretty well packaged, her name is Sofya Birukova, she is 15 and won silver at JGP Bosphorus and was 6th at Russian Nationals, but won the SP there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy5y2EHe7fs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jo0fNq3gy0&feature=related

You don't hear about her as much as some of the others but she is lovely. Nice lines.

oleada
04-21-2010, 12:48 AM
I love Biryukova's musicality. I wish Russia had 3 Euros spots, because she could've taken it. She needs to work on her consistency, though, particularly on the LP. If she does, she can contend with Leonova & Makarova for Euros & Worlds spots.

pinky166
04-21-2010, 01:02 AM
I love Biryukova's musicality. I wish Russia had 3 Euros spots, because she could've taken it. She needs to work on her consistency, though, particularly on the LP. If she does, she can contend with Leonova & Makarova for Euros & Worlds spots.

No it would have gone to Gozeva. Sofya's DOB is 7/19/1994 so she missed the cutoff by 19 days. She will be eligible for Euros and Worlds next year though, and I actually think there is a good possibility she could edge out Leonova for one of those spots if she skates well. I really like her skating, I wonder if we will see her on the SGP in the coming season or if she will do another season in juniors.

oleada
04-21-2010, 01:08 AM
I meant next year, not this year. This year Russia did have 3 Euros spots (and Gozeva did go), but next year they only have 2. I think it's unlikely Biryukova will get a SGP invitation, unless it's a host spot.

pinky166
04-21-2010, 03:35 AM
I meant next year, not this year. This year Russia did have 3 Euros spots (and Gozeva did go), but next year they only have 2. I think it's unlikely Biryukova will get a SGP invitation, unless it's a host spot.

Why not? Gozeva got 2 GP events this season and Gerboldt got 1. Gerboldt has switched to pairs and Biryukova would likely get an assignment before Gozeva and may even get 2 if the only other ladies competing on the SGP from Russia are Makarova, Leonova, and Shelepen - which I think will be true, if I had to guess Agafonova and Ovcharova will opt to stay on the JGP another season.

oleada
04-21-2010, 03:40 AM
Because her PB score is only 47th & her world ranking is only 113th. Which means a GP assignment is far from a guarantee.

She got unlucky with the way JGP assignments worked out last year.

pinky166
04-21-2010, 04:09 AM
Because her PB score is only 47th & her world ranking is only 113th. Which means a GP assignment is far from a guarantee.

She got unlucky with the way JGP assignments worked out last year.

Oh :(. Yeah it is too bad, she won a silver medal at her only event, had she been given another she would have been likely to make the final and that would have boosted her rankings.

Looking at the rankings, Ovcharova is ranked higher (33) than Agafonova (42) who are both ranked higher than Gozeva (50). I wonder if those two will move up....they could probably get 2 assignments (one being COR), especially if only one of them moves up.

rococo
04-21-2010, 04:44 AM
Yep, because they have almost fascist selection system in ballet schools.
it's just because they don't understand that fat ballerinas are really good :)