PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains (Threads Merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42

Squibble
05-14-2010, 10:50 PM
If he's learned from last time, he'll make a point of telling the jury that one of his strategies was to be a bastard and make enemies so everyone would want to take him to the end - but that he would never vote for a "lesser of two evils" or someone who doesn't deserve it, and he hopes that the game's greatest players won't either.

Telling people that you bullied them so that other people would take you to the Final sounds like a surefire way of losing votes. :shuffle:

BigB08822
05-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Telling people that you bullied them so that other people would take you to the Final sounds like a surefire way of losing votes. :shuffle:

It just depends how you look at it. I am always the type of person who respect the game player first and foremost. I don't care how you get there so long as you get there. However, I have more respect for people who lie, cheat and steal than for those who snuck in or won immunity thanks to luck when they needed it most. So I would vote for Russell even if he dicked me over to get to the end. Or so I say, maybe it would be different in reality. The only time I had an exception to this way of thinking was on Big Brother with Dick and Danielle. They took it too far, even for me, and I felt they had a HUGE advantage and had clearly been cast years in advance, but I wont get into all of that...

Freespirit
05-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks Prancer. It's good to know that they get paid something, plus endless exposure on national television.

jamesy
05-14-2010, 11:14 PM
It just depends how you look at it. I am always the type of person who respect the game player first and foremost. I don't care how you get there so long as you get there. However, I have more respect for people who lie, cheat and steal than for those who snuck in or won immunity thanks to luck when they needed it most. So I would vote for Russell even if he dicked me over to get to the end. Or so I say, maybe it would be different in reality.
Oh I know I would so take it personal if it was me in the jury. :lol: It's easy for me at home on my couch to appreciate "shady" gameplay, but if I was actually playing the game and had been eliminated I'm positive I would be one bitter jury member. :shuffle:

Prancer
05-15-2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks Prancer. It's good to know that they get paid something, plus endless exposure on national television.

Yes, and if they don't make the jury, CBS sends them on really nice vacations for the last few weeks of the game on top of their pay. That keeps them out of sight until everyone goes home.

I think all the reality shows are required to pay at least union scale to the casts.

Tinami Amori
05-15-2010, 04:08 AM
I have a question for people “in the know” on this game.

Do you US laws apply to the contestants of this game given that they are US citizens?

The reason I am asking is:

- To lie, to form cliques, to conspire, to go back on your word in social dealings is not illegal.
- However it is illegal to break a verbal contract made “in exchange for a tangible consideration”, and one can be sued in court, in real life.
- It is also illegal to steal, i.e. take some-one’s property.

I recall situation such as:

- (don’t remember the episode) But one contestant won a car, and another contestant had a vote power. The contestant with a car, exchanged car for the vote. He did not get the vote but the one who promised the vote still kept the car. One thing to say “I’ll vote for you if you vote for me” another thing is to “make an exchange for an asset, a consideration”. The one who did not vote as promised should have given back the car keys, since he did not fulfill his part of Verbal Agreement documented on tape. Can Yo-man sue the other guy?

- Roupert stole property from other contestants in his first game. Theft is illegal. Can charges be brought against him?

- Russell, in this game, was given an I-Idol in exchange for His Vote Against Parvati. He was not obligated to make all to vote against her, but he himself at least must have voted against her. He did not. So he received an “asset” and neglected to perform his end of the agreement. Can that be legally pursued?

I am not law-suite crazy, never sued. But Survivor Management is allowing illegal activities to take place on public TV, showing people that it is OK to break a legal verbal agreement or to steal and not be punished. Does not that message infringe on essence of US laws?

rjblue
05-15-2010, 04:23 AM
They have strict rules for the game and elements of the game like the idol (it can't be stolen from within a person's possesion-it would lose it's power).

They can't deliberately injure another player.

Theft for the purpose of rattling or upsetting other players appears to be allowed by the rules. So I'm assuming that any property they bring to the game becomes the legal property of the show for the duration of the filming.

They can't cheat during challenges.

They can lie and cheat and renege on any agreement made with other players as part of the game.

They can't share any winnings.

Since they are playing a game and they have agreed to the rules, they aren't breaking any laws.

For an example from another game- a poker player who is bluffing is lying, but that is perfectly acceptable within the game. It wouldn't be honourable in business however.

It became apparent during the very first season of Survivor that the game was not really about surviving and being the strongest and most worthy. If that is the game you want to watch, then Survivor would be really unappealing.

Tinami Amori
05-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Theft for the purpose of rattling or upsetting other players appears to be allowed by the rules. So I'm assuming that any property they bring to the game becomes the legal property of the show for the duration of the filming.

Ha! That's very clever use of the law without breaking it. All contestants agree that their property for during of the game is property of the Show, so it's not officially theft if it stays in the compound of the game territory.

But I wonder how many viewers know that fact, and to them "thefts" appears as actual theft of personal property, which is SANCTIONED by the game........ And I also wonder if at one point a legal loophole can be found to sanction physical violence between contestants.

And I also wonder how long before there is a Hollywood movie about "Reality game that sanctions murder"... real bullets instead of paint-balls..... Fantasy gone wild... like West World....:D

Squibble
05-15-2010, 08:26 AM
However, I have more respect for people who lie, cheat and steal than for those who snuck in or won immunity thanks to luck when they needed it most.

The main reason why Russell rubs people the wrong way is because he bullies them, not because he lies, cheats, and steals. He was positively brutish with Danielle a few episodes back (when Coach or Courtney was voted out).

Bostonfan
05-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Russell would be nothing without the Hidden Immunity Idol. Period. I'd love to see him play a season where they didn't use the HII concept. He'd never make it to the merge.

Ares
05-15-2010, 04:04 PM
And I also wonder how long before there is a Hollywood movie about "Reality game that sanctions murderRunning Man circa 1987

smurfy
05-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Running Man circa 1987

Great movie -Richard Dawson was excellent. hee hee

so glad Rupert is gone.
I agree about Russell, he is entertaining and playing hard, but his bullying is bothersome to me.
Right now I would love for Sandra or Parvarti to win. Sandra is just awesome, speaks her mind and entertains. Parvarti is playing.
When Sandra played the II, to me Russell's and Parvarti's reactions let me know why to root for them. Parvarti was amused and enjoyed the game, and Russel was pissed. I think Russell thinks all II his and gets all pissy when he does not know about one.
Jerri - is so following Russell - what can she say in the Final TC. Coatails??
Colby - I did not like the way he was yelling at his brother, go home.
So going into the final 5:
Parv & Sandra - hope they team up Russell & Jerri - or will Jerri sway to Parv & Sandra
and Colby is a wildcard - does he go with Russell or???
Can't wait for Sunday. This season has been great enterainment.

FiveRinger
05-16-2010, 04:47 AM
Another great episode. Shamefully, I was duped right along with Rupert. And yes, it's a costly error to count on Russell's vote.

Jerri's frustrating me in her adamant loyalty to Russell because it is based in fear. Why she's so gung ho about not pissing him off is something I have yet to understand. Has she not figured out that she's not going to win against him (and just about everyone else) if he makes the final TC?

And, for those who keep calling Russell a bully, that role wouldn't work if everyone quit letting him do it. Most of the vites have gone Russell's way,and except for the two IIs that Parvati used, no one is challenging his position in the tribe.

I wish Colby would get it together. This has got to be an act with the grand finale at the final TC. I refuse to concede that he's sleepwalking through this game.

Sandra is going to be the first two-time winner. She got to this point with virtually no alliance and her own wits. Much respect.

jl
05-16-2010, 06:35 AM
I'd love to see Sandra win!

I think regardless, Russell doesn't actually want Sandra on the jury because she won't ever vote for him. In terms of the likeability game, he's lost that to every other candidate so he might as well vote out those that he might get to vote for him (Colby because of the whole 'they're all villians so who cares', and maybe Jerri because he sees her as his servant more than Parvati).

In a jury vote though, he probably would be best off if he took Colby and Jerri with him. Amanda and Candice might vote for him, while Rupert would vote for Colby (JT too but maybe he might for Rupert). Danielle would vote for Jerri or Colby to spite him, Sandra's never voted on a jury and Parvati did long ago so they're big wildcards, and Coach and Courtney would be stuck as well.

If he takes Parvati and Sandra with him he's pretty much toast, though. They're better at out-thinking and saying the right things at final tribal council.

PeterG
05-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Jerri's frustrating me in her adamant loyalty to Russell because it is based in fear. Why she's so gung ho about not pissing him off is something I have yet to understand. Has she not figured out that she's not going to win against him (and just about everyone else) if he makes the final TC?

Anybody will win against Russell. Everybody on the jury will hate him, so Jerri (and everyone) should want to be taking him to tribal council.

I like Jerri. I do not think she is adamantly loyal to Russell. At last tribal council Jerri was going to vote against Russell, but when Danielle broke down and showed how tight she and Parvati were, Jerri realized she had to break them up, or be their third wheel.

And Jerri is not afraid of Russell...not at all. The episode before last, Russell went off on Jerri and her extremely cool, calm reaction was, "Russell, don't threaten me". She refused to be triggered by him. The serenity of her reaction was :rockstar: