PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains (Threads Merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Prancer
05-05-2010, 03:18 AM
Has the game really changed that much? Sure there's been new levels of idol play, but it's not like there were no idols in her first two seasons. And it's not like there have never been players like Russell before as I said. So what's changed?

Some of the Sucksters are convinced that Amanda is referring to producer manipulation, but a lot of them are convinced that it's all rigged anyway. But that would be something she couldn't talk about; they aren't supposed to discuss production.

One thing that several of them have said has changed is camp life. It used to be that there was more of a focus on being a tribe and living an adventure. There was value in having camping skills and being able to provide for the tribe, and there was a lot more emphasis on bonding and making the time pass between challenges. Now it's all game all the time, camp life tends to be miserable because no one really cares about doing the work that would be necessary to make things comfortable (the Villians camp was truly :eek:) because there is no value in it, and there is no downtime.

I think Amanda was lost once James left because he was, in her words, her wingman. It's interesting to me that she and Parvati have both said that you can't play Survivor alone; you have to have a couple of people you trust to help you in the game or you won't get to the end. The difference there is that I don't think Amanda ever really had that once James was gone, while Parvati has, and I think Amanda is kinda :drama: that she didn't have someone to play with. She also complained about the HIIs, because she says they create chaos that makes it hard to strategize effectively.

I think Russell's game is different because he doesn't even try to play the social game.

Ares
05-05-2010, 05:14 AM
^ Funny, Amanda had no problem with HII when one saved her in Micronesia.

I think Amanda gets way more credit for her gameplay than she should. While she's a good player, in the past she has always found a power player to team up with. Not exactly a tagalong, but still more of a supporter of the team strategy than an active contributor. She had Todd in China and Parvati and Cirie in Micronesia. She did a good job making powerful friends, but other than that, her game wasn't anything special.

A female Boston Rob? I would say Amber Brkich's slightly more strategic doe-eyed twin.

Prancer
05-05-2010, 05:24 AM
I think Amanda gets way more credit for her gameplay than she should. While she's a good player, in the past she has always found a power player to team up with.

That's been her strategy--to push someone else into a leadership role so they make all the visible moves and then manipulate them into doing what she wants. That was how she saw JT in this game, but Candice had basically the same plan and worked against her in the beginning, and JT had his own ideas about how to play, plus he never trusted either of the girls.

Ares
05-05-2010, 06:12 AM
That's been her strategy--to push someone else into a leadership role so they make all the visible moves and then manipulate them into doing what she wants.I guess I never saw the second part of that plan. She basically was on board with whoever the leader wanted out and when she didn't agree, they just went around her (such as the situation with Ozzy in Micronesia). I didn't see her doing a lot of manipulation or convincing her power player ally who to gun for. I admit, I don't remember much from China though.

Prancer
05-05-2010, 06:25 AM
I guess I never saw the second part of that plan. She basically was on board with whoever the leader wanted out and when she didn't agree, they just went around her (such as the situation with Ozzy in Micronesia). I didn't see her doing a lot of manipulation or convincing her power player ally who to gun for. I admit, I don't remember much from China though.

I don't think they ever showed much of it. Amanda is not good television and Survivor rarely focuses on the women in the game and how they play, anyway. You could sometimes see Amanda discussing her strategies and how she goes about them if you watch the extra vids, and she just got a shoutout from Jeff in his blog for being one of the best ever to play the game (which is :eek:, as Jeff also never acknowledges anything that the female players do), so she does work it--but she's not what Jeff would call a go-to player. She never says anything particularly memorable or dramatic.

Jeff's quote: As frustrating as she can be at times, she’s a tremendous player. One of the best. She only lacks one thing from being an absolute dynamo and that’s the killer instinct. As stated earlier, it’s the confidence to stand up for her self and claim what is rightfully hers.

FiveRinger
05-05-2010, 11:15 AM
I don't think they ever showed much of it. Amanda is not good television and Survivor rarely focuses on the women in the game and how they play, anyway. You could sometimes see Amanda discussing her strategies and how she goes about them if you watch the extra vids, and she just got a shoutout from Jeff in his blog for being one of the best ever to play the game (which is :eek:, as Jeff also never acknowledges anything that the female players do), so she does work it--but she's not what Jeff would call a go-to player. She never says anything particularly memorable or dramatic.

Jeff's quote: As frustrating as she can be at times, she’s a tremendous player. One of the best. She only lacks one thing from being an absolute dynamo and that’s the killer instinct. As stated earlier, it’s the confidence to stand up for her self and claim what is rightfully hers.

I can see what Jeff is saying. In the past, Amanda has been great at individual immunity challenges. Even though she was less visible and didn't make a lot of moves on her own, it does take a little bit of skill to pick the right alliance and be able to stick with them to get yourself to the end of the game. But, I wouldn't say that Amanda is one of the best. She's a sleeper. And, she's way to "nice" to actually win at Survivor. Case in point: her conflict with Danielle. There's no way in hell that I would have given that clue back. I almost died when I saw that. And, this season, she has been very transparent. It's hard to outwit someone when people can actually "see" you try to lie and bluff.

Erin
05-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I can see what Jeff is saying. In the past, Amanda has been great at individual immunity challenges. Even though she was less visible and didn't make a lot of moves on her own, it does take a little bit of skill to pick the right alliance and be able to stick with them to get yourself to the end of the game.

Well, and it's not like she doesn't make any moves of her own. In China, the James boot was all her game plan, and she pulled off the big hidden II stunt in Micronesia. People have won the game with less than that. The problem is that she's not willing to own any of these moves and so she doesn't get credit for them. I think that's why she lost China and Micronesia was because she didn't have the relationships with the jurors that Parvati did.

I go back and forth on Amanda. Sometimes she can kick ass (her determination to find the HII in Micronesia, being the only one of her alliance to play for immunity instead of eat in China) and then sometimes she is just totally lame, like her attempt to lie to Parvati last week.

genevieve
05-05-2010, 05:03 PM
I think that's why she lost China and Micronesia was because she didn't have the relationships with the jurors that Parvati did.
It wasn't her lack of relationships - it was the way she completely crumbles in the end game. Amanda has shown she's willing to make cutthroat choices (you listed some). Ironically, it's her need to have everyone "like" her, or to be seen as the sweetheart, that kills her every time. If she had just said yes, I did those things, I beat you in this game, she might be a two-time winner already (although she probably wouldn't have been invited to Half-ASS if she's won in China). Instead, she does great in the game unitl she realizes she needs to convince the jury to give her the money, and when she tries to play for votes, she ends up a crying, blubbering, insincere-sounding mess who won't admit to anything that would actually help her case in the game.

my little pony
05-07-2010, 01:51 AM
what's up with Danielle's upper lip? it's disgusting, I hope they vote her out just so I don't have to look at it

Eden
05-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Rupert's game today reminded me why I liked him on Survivor Pearl Islands.
He survived the first TC by making others believe he has the HII, and making a move to get rid of Candice (Karma is a bitch), and then he gets lucky because Russel wanted to break Danielle and Parvarti.
If Russel gets to the F2 he is going to lose again, IMO.

Cupid
05-07-2010, 02:02 AM
what's up with Danielle's upper lip? it's disgusting, I hope they vote her out just so I don't have to look at it

Not only that, her boobs look weird. I think her mustache was coming in.

I still can't figure out whether Russell made a good move splitting up Danielle and Parvati at this point. I wonder what will happen next week as I think the target may now be on his back. This is such an exciting season!

CaptCrunch
05-07-2010, 02:07 AM
Another great episode for Survivor! :)

Rupert dodged not one bullet but two!! :eek:

So Jerri was the turning vote in the 2nd tribal council. Very surprising. Even Sandra voted for Rupert. Didn't expect that.

Very happy that Colby survived all the madness.

Russell is a great player but he's evil and has no chance to win.

Very happy to see Danielle get the boot. Hope her bud Parvati goes next.

Twilight1
05-07-2010, 02:09 AM
YAY!!! So glad to read that Danielle is gone. I love Parvati's game (she is so sneaking and vile! lol!!!), but I kind of hope her times comes. Though I have to say a Parvati/ Sandra F2 would be really cool!!

Eden
05-07-2010, 02:17 AM
I love that season!

So Jerri was the turning vote in the 2nd tribal council. Very surprising. Even Sandra voted for Rupert. Didn't expect that.

Sandra's strategy is to stay under the radar.
This way others are fighting and she is safe.
Nobody is even suspecting that such a 'weak player' like her has the HII.

sk8er1964
05-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Even Sandra voted for Rupert. Didn't expect that.

She had no reason not to. I don't think she was aware that Russell wanted Danielle out until TC. If she's confronted after TC, all she has to do is plead innocence.

I didn't like her in her last season and thought she was a very undeserving winner. I didn't like her earlier in this season. I still don't like some of her nastiness and negativity. However, I do have to give her props for her play this time.