PDA

View Full Version : Further Cuts to ISU Championships?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Ziggy
02-08-2010, 12:48 PM
So this is very unofficial but I heard that next season ISU council is further reducing the number of the skaters who qualify to the free skate to 18.

What's even better, ISU is not going to pay the expenses of all skaters any longer. Only the top 18 will get covered, the bill for the rest will be passed to their respective federations.

For smaller, poored federations this might mean not fielding their skaters anymore because of the associated costs.

What ISU is doing to the sport now is the biggest "scandal" I can remember. They know they can do it with impunity, however, partly because of "divide and conquer" meaning maller federations won't dare to revolt and partly because they know very well major media outlets are not going to give a rat's arse about a skater from Uzbekistan not going to, or not qualifying at, World Championships.

Hedwig
02-08-2010, 01:30 PM
:wuzrobbed

Please don't let that be true. :(

Finnice
02-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Feckin´ idiots.:lynch:
I also hope that it is not true. Unfortunately, the bad news often is.:wuzrobbed

Andrey aka Pushkin
02-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Who's on that council anyway?

icedance21
02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
The figure skating members of the ISU council (http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/page/custom/0,8510,4844-161657-178872-20148-73966-custom-item,00.html)are:

David Dore, Canada - 2nd VP, Figure Skating
Marie Lundmark, Finland
Tjasa Andree-Prosenc, Slovenia
Courtney Jones, Great Britain
Phyllis Howard, USA

Then there of course is Speedy and the rest of the ISU council who are speed skating members.

Pretty soon, they'll cut down the number of competitors to just the medalists. :P

snoopy
02-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Yeah I looked on that site. I was looking for how they get funded. Is it through membership fees? Or do they get a cut of television coverage? Do they not have to publish their financial reports as to money in and money out?

Frau Muller
02-08-2010, 01:44 PM
.....Courtney Jones, Great Britain.....

So the nut with the "magical silk tie" is still on the ISU Council? (Read the Jon Jackson book for explanation.)

How can we have trust in this Goon Platton?

Andrey aka Pushkin
02-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm kind of surprised that Slovenia, GBR and Finland are trying to eliminate figure skating in their countries :confused:

Taso
02-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm kind of surprised that Slovenia, GBR and Finland are trying to eliminate figure skating in their countries :confused:

I guess Canada and US may be paying off the individual officials?

This is completely insane. This sport is going to die....

elfenblüte
02-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Please not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed This will ruin Figure Skating!!

MR-FAN
02-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm gonna be wuzrobbed of skaters struggling with their double flips :wuzrobbed

kirkbiggestfan
02-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Only 3 groups of 6 skaters! Wow. That SP is going to be so cut-throat. We are likely to see 3 Russian and Finnish ladies in the future, so that won't let many spots for the other countries.

alij
02-08-2010, 02:16 PM
I was really hoping that they would realise how ridiculous even cutting to 20 was after this year. They really are going to shoot themselves in the foot.

DanceDanceDance
02-08-2010, 02:27 PM
I was really hoping that they would realise how ridiculous even cutting to 20 was after this year. They really are going to shoot themselves in the foot.

I agree completely! They don't seem to care at all any more. Not about quality skating, not about inclusivity, nor about the principles that sport and events such as the Olympics were founded on.

Are they really surprised that audiences are decreasing, when step by step they are ripping the heart and soul out of what makes skating so appealing? Or what was more appealing about it in the past.

Let's hope that the ISU elections will bring in new people that have a more genuine interest in improving things rather than winding things up for the sport...

pat c
02-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah I looked on that site. I was looking for how they get funded. Is it through membership fees? Or do they get a cut of television coverage? Do they not have to publish their financial reports as to money in and money out?

TV rights - and the ISU got greedy so now our coverage is what? Our local coverage for SC, Nats has been awesome but as far as the GP events, it's bare bones.

Individual skating federations. And don't the have countries kick in to help the have not? (I could be mistaken, confusing a few things :)) And the have's might not have as much as they used to, if that's the case.

And no, I don't believe they do have to publish their financial reports online. Members in the ISU would receive a hard copy.