PDA

View Full Version : Tamar Katz: An Olympic Qualifier, but Not in Israelís Eyes (article)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Sylvia
01-30-2010, 08:14 PM
New York Times article today: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/30/sports/olympics/30olympics.html

“If the Israeli Olympic Committee is concerned I’ll place last in the Olympics, they don’t have to worry — even if I don’t skate my best, I can place in the top 20,” Katz said in a telephone interview. “I am not talking about a medal, because it is not just about medals, it is also about representing your country with honor and respect.”

Jan. 19, 2010 NY Times article on the Zaretskys that also mentions the Katz situation: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/19/sports/olympics/19skate.html

Zemgirl
01-30-2010, 08:33 PM
New York Times article today: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/30/sports/olympics/30olympics.html

Jan. 19, 2010 NY Times article on the Zaretskys that also mentions the Katz situation: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/19/sports/olympics/19skate.html
The story has also been picked up by the Israeli media, which usually ignores skating. There's a Facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=269779538509&v=info) as well, and it looks like she's gotten some support from other skaters.

Katz does have a shot at reversing this decision - there was an Israeli swimmer who managed to get a ticket to Beijing at the last moment, after many appeals. I hope she will be able to skate in Vancouver. She won't finish in the top half, but she earned her spot and deserves to go.

Finnice
01-30-2010, 08:59 PM
I really hope that she can go, she has qualified on her own right.

agalisgv
01-30-2010, 09:03 PM
edit

kosjenka
01-30-2010, 09:20 PM
i hate when federations do this to their athletes.

bek
01-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Aww they should let her go. Its an accomplishment to even earn a spot at the Olympics.

Dr.Siouxs
01-30-2010, 09:27 PM
She's a very good quality skater (eh...aside from the jumps) and I'd love to see her participate in Vancouver.

footwork
01-31-2010, 12:06 AM
I bet Naomi Syken must be doing a happy dance !

lulu
01-31-2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the article, very unfair (IMO) not to let her skate. And per Katz's statement (and I don't think she would place last either), but honestly, what would be the big deal (from the federation p.o.v.) if Katz does end up in last place?
I mean obviously federations want their skaters to do well, but I don't see what the big deal would be to send her to the Olympics.

agalisgv
01-31-2010, 12:41 AM
Despite what the article said, I do wonder if this isn't a money thing. From what I understand, most Olympic sports are severely underfunded in Israel, and I think that's particularly the case for women's sports. If so, allocating very scarce resources could require some tough choices being made.

On a separate note, I didn't understand why Katz would say this:
If the Israeli Olympic Committee is concerned I’ll place last in the Olympics, they don’t have to worry — even if I don’t skate my best, I can place in the top 20,” Katz said in a telephone interview. “ I don't believe Katz has every cracked the top 20 in a Worlds competition. I'm not sure why she thinks she could do that at the Olympics with a less-than-best skate.

mazzy
01-31-2010, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the article, very unfair (IMO) not to let her skate. And per Katz's statement (and I don't think she would place last either), but honestly, what would be the big deal (from the federation p.o.v.) if Katz does end up in last place?
I mean obviously federations want their skaters to do well, but I don't see what the big deal would be to send her to the Olympics.

Costs can be an issue, for example. Many countries' NOCs have some additional internal criteria which have to apply to all olympic sports. If they send Katz now, they may have to also send a plethora of swimmers/runners/rowers etc. in 2012 who will have qualified by the international bodies' rules but will just be not have any chance to compete. Depending on how much money the Israeli NOC has, this might be of serious concern.

lulu
01-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Costs can be an issue, for example. Many countries' NOCs have some additional internal criteria which have to apply to all olympic sports. If they send Katz now, they may have to also send a plethora of swimmers/runners/rowers etc. in 2012 who will have qualified by the international bodies' rules but will just be not have any chance to compete. Depending on how much money the Israeli NOC has, this might be of serious concern.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Ziggy
01-31-2010, 01:32 AM
I bet Naomi Syken must be doing a happy dance !

Ah poor Jenna Syken, who never actually competed at any competition. :P :violin:

As for Tamar, she didn't manage to place 20th at Euros, with a skate much better than her usual bombfest, I wonder how she thinks she could easily do so at Olympics.

agalisgv
01-31-2010, 04:15 AM
Katz said she had a viral infection a couple weeks before Euros so was off the ice for two weeks before competing--that's why she says she placed so badly. Thing is she really hasn't progressed in the standings over the years, and in fact has gone down the past two or three. To me it looks like she has already peaked and will likely not do better than she already has.

Now, in an Olympic year some top competitors sit out Worlds afterwards, and if that happens this year she may move up a bit from the twenty-somethings. But without people sitting out, I don't see her moving up in the standings at all.

reckless
01-31-2010, 04:32 AM
I don't think it really matters where she will place. She earned the spot. Isn't the Olympic spirit about competing and representing your country in the eyes of the rest of the world?

I can't believe the costs are that great. Housing is in the Olympic village; I suspect the clothing for the opening ceremonies is sponsored; and there are probably sources for skating-specific costs like practice ice. I would bet, with the publicity, that a sponsor or sponsors would probably help her fulfill her Olympic dream.