PDA

View Full Version : Tamar Katz: An Olympic Qualifier, but Not in Israelís Eyes (article)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

SwingDancer
01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
I sent an email to pushkin!!!

Tamar deserves to skate in Vancouver!!1

I also sent a compassion filled email to the Israeli IOC listed above

literaryfreak
01-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Sent an email to the above email address, hope everyone's emails will make a difference.

pattern99skts
01-31-2010, 08:09 PM
It is so distressing to think that everything revolves around politics. Why not be proud of their athlete. Tamar should go.:encore:

leafygreens
02-01-2010, 12:57 AM
Wow, this is very heartless of the Israeli federation to have a rule like that. I hope they listen to appeals and then change the rule.

tangerine_dream
02-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Many countries which are not as competitive as the US have requirements like Israel...if their requirement is to place in the top 14 at Worlds in order to be sent to the Olympics, then that is what it is! Some people may not like the rules, but they are what they are. It isn't like Tamar actually would place in the top 20 at Olympics. She will bring nothing to Israel if she goes to the Olympics, so why should they send money on letting her go?

I also assume the situation would PERHAPS (and I do say, perhaps) be a little bit different if Tamar hadn't trained in the US most of her life. I have spoken to Tamar a long time ago, and perhaps her reasons have changed, but as she was telling it then, the reason she is skating for Israel rather than the US, is because there is more international opportunity for her if she skates for them. She would not be 3-time National champion if she were skating for the US. You also do have to realize that skating federations are not idiots, and do know when they are being a "last resort" for skaters who want international experience. Now, if these skaters bring results, both parties win. But if the skater is turning to said federation for a trip to the Olympics when she has no chance to win anything, and trains year-round in the US since she was 15 years old anyway, what does Israel get out of it? I don't think many people would care if they sent a girl who trains and lives year-round most of her life in the US to the Olympics, especially if she didn't bring back anything.

If she is unhappy with being unable to go, she should focus on bettering her skating so she can place in the top 14 at Worlds next time. It isn't like it is the fault of the Israeli Skating Federation if she bombs at competitions.

Sylvia
02-05-2010, 04:27 PM
FYI, this was the follow-up thread on the Tamar Katz situation (where Tamar surfaces and comments -- see her post #128): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71147

paskatefan
03-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Will Tamar have her chance to compete at Worlds? I hope so! :encore:

tangerine_dream
04-07-2010, 07:23 AM
New York Times article today: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/30/sports/olympics/30olympics.html

Jan. 19, 2010 NY Times article on the Zaretskys that also mentions the Katz situation: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/19/sports/olympics/19skate.html

In the end she basically proved the federation right not to send her; she didn't even place top 20 at Worlds, doubt she would have done better at the Olympics. I think her placement is fine, but she shoudn't boast about what placement she can achieve and then use that as a reason for wanting to be sent to a competition, if she can't deliver the results she promised.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2010/CAT002RS.HTM

TAHbKA
04-07-2010, 09:17 AM
tangerine_dream, according to the world placement Meier and Karademir should had not been sent to the Olympics either. What's your point?

Quintuple
04-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Not commenting on if the federation *should* have sent her, but she did say in the original article that she could place Top 20 without even skating her best. So ... if she was giving that as a reason as to why to send her ... she didn't really deliver on her hypothetical qualification.

BittyBug
04-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Didn't her skates get lost temporarily on her way to Torino? Not sure if that affected her performance, but it could have.

Frau Muller
04-07-2010, 06:50 PM
In the end she basically proved the federation right not to send her;.....

You got that one right. Here's hoping that Israel will have a more worthy Ladies Champion in the next quadrennium. For Tamar: moveon.org !

tangerine_dream
04-08-2010, 08:04 AM
tangerine_dream, according to the world placement Meier and Karademir should had not been sent to the Olympics either. What's your point?

My point was pretty clear in my post. That she said the federation SHOULD send her because if they were worried about her doing poorly, she could reach the top 20 "without even skating her best", and it seems she was 27th at the less competitive Worlds competition, so she didn't deliver what she'd promised.

Point is, if you're going to complain your federation doesn't want to waste their money sending you to an event they know you won't do well in, then don't try to tell them you could easily be in the top 20, when you can't.

Asli
04-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Point is, if you're going to complain your federation doesn't want to waste their money sending you to an event they know you won't do well in, then don't try to tell them you could easily be in the top 20, when you can't.

Her federation will never know how Tamar Katz would have skated at the Olympics. At the Worlds she finished in-between Sarah Meier and Tugba Karademir, who were 15th and 24th at the Olympics. How can we know that she wouldn't have finished somewhere between those placements too? Cheltzie Lee, whom Katz had easily beaten at the Olympic qualifying event, finished 20th at the Olympics. Maybe Katz could have done it too.

The Olympics were a different event, with a different atmosphere, timing, number of skaters etc. Katz was the first lady ever to qualify a spot for Israel. She should have been sent.

Good luck to the Israeli federation for finding another skater who can qualify a spot in four years' time. :rolleyes:

MorganaLefay
04-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Maybe they'd tap into the unlimited supply of the talented Russian girls?:) However, what the Israeli Fed did to Tamar was such a shame. They should have sent her!