PDA

View Full Version : Apple announces iPad

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

cruisin
01-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Anyone else see it yet? Very cool, but they still haven't announced a price.

Buzz
01-27-2010, 07:08 PM
You know what? I kinda like the idea of pushing buttons... hehehe :EVILLE:

Stormy
01-27-2010, 07:14 PM
All I've heard about the price is it's more than the Wii, PS3 and Xbox combined. I'm watching the live feed on Engadget and I like what I'm seeing.

deltask8er
01-27-2010, 07:32 PM
http://www.cnet.com/apple-ipad/

There was also hope that he would announce the iPhone would no longer be exclusively tied to AT&T. Don't see news of that yet.

rjblue
01-27-2010, 07:32 PM
I can't believe they called it that. The first reaction of my two daughters was "ewww" it sounds like a feminine hygiene product. (and there's a youtube for it- I'll link in a minute)

http://ow.ly/113FO

I pad. Bwah.

Andora
01-27-2010, 07:37 PM
My mac-loving other half says it looks like a large iphone. We then proceeded to imitate how it would work as such. :P

genegri
01-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Apple IPad will start at $499 and will start shipping in 60 days.

skatingfan5
01-27-2010, 07:43 PM
I can't believe they called it that. The first reaction of my two daughters was "ewww" it sounds like a feminine hygiene product. I have to admit, that was my first thought as well. :lol: And my second was "didn't they have any women on that design team -- or at least doing their marketing research?" My third thought was to try to come up with a name that used their rubric that didn't have the icky/squicky connotation. Hmm, iNote? Not very good, but definitely better than iPad, at least to my female ears.

BigB08822
01-27-2010, 07:44 PM
$499 is not bad but that is where it STARTS. Wonder how much the nice ones cost? I knew I should have bought stock in Apple.

I see how people think iPad sounds like a feminine hygiene product but to me it just sounds really similar to iPod and I don't think of anything else.

skatingfan5
01-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Apple IPad will start at $499 and will start shipping in 60 days.Is that for "Regular" or "Light Days"? :P You know the "Maxi" version will cost considerably more. :slinkaway

skatingfan5
01-27-2010, 07:48 PM
I see how people think iPad sounds like a feminine hygiene product but to me it just sounds really similar to iPod and I don't think of anything else.To women it definitely has resonance beyond "sounds similar to iPod". Wait for the jokes about it being prone to problems "at certain times of the month." It won't be very long, I'm sure.

cruisin
01-27-2010, 07:49 PM
http://www.cnet.com/apple-ipad/

There was also hope that he would announce the iPhone would no longer be exclusively tied to AT&T. Don't see news of that yet.

That probably won't happen for a while yet. The exclusivity contract won't expire until June. There has been speculation that AT&T will not be able to adequately serve the 4G. They have been talking to Verizon, which is the largest network and is doing major system upgrading for it's Droid google phones. When apple first introduced the iPhone they offered the exclusive contract to Verizon first. They could not agree on V-Cast/iTunes issues, and Verizon wanted equipment rights to the phone, which apple would not agree to. Apparently, they have been talking compromise, but it will probably be a year before anything is announced or happens. Now, this could all be wrong :lol:, but my inside informant tells me this is where it's at.

It couldn't happen fast enough for me, I so want an iPhone, but AT&T is not good in this area. I have the new Motorola Droid. It's fun and I like it, but I need an apple product! :lol:

The iPad looks pretty cool, sort of a Kindle/iPod touch all in one. It's up on the apple site - price: $499. http://www.apple.com/ipad/
I think it will come down. Like the iPhone dropped a few months after it was introduced. So, will it be worth it? What is a Kindle, $259? Will the iPad do enough more to justify the price? And will you have to get it through a cell server and what kind of data plan would it involve?

Aceon6
01-27-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm reading between the lines that the ATT "no contract" and fairly reasonable rates for the iPad were concessions to Apple in the hopes of keeping exclusivity through 2010. Stay tuned.

eta. T-Mobile is in play as well as they can support the current versions of the iPhone. Verizon is on a totally different network.

uyeahu
01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Only $829 for the highest end model (64gig with wifi 3g network). For all the devices it replaces and IMPROVES (kindle, ipod touch, netbook, etc.) that's a damn good price. Even I'm tempted and I haven't purchased an iPhone and am running an iPod Classic. I'll wait for 2nd generation though - let them work out the kinks first.

I find all the iPad jokes kinda juvenile. We're adults people.

skatingfan5
01-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Only $829 for the highest end model (64gig with wifi 3g network). For all the devices it replaces and IMPROVES (kindle, ipod touch, netbook, etc.) that's a damn good price. Even I'm tempted and I haven't purchased an iPhone and am running an iPod Classic. I'll wait for 2nd generation though - let them work out the kinks first.

I find all the iPad jokes kinda juvenile. We're adults people.Most of us are ... in theory. :shuffle: I can't help my neural connections -- iPad brings along a whole stream of images for me. I guess I could keep them to myself -- if I weren't so juvenile/senile. Anyway, at that price I may well buy one -- since I don't have an iPhone (or any kind of smart phone) or even an iPod, much less a netbook. Waiting for the 2nd generation is almost always a good plan. Even someone with a juvenile mind like mine, knows that much. :)