PDA

View Full Version : Apple announces iPad

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Twizzler
01-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Anyone else who might know the answer to these questions, please jump in. I'm trying to decide if I can bring that phone with me, and it will work. Or, if I should rent one here, this time. Any help - greatly appreciated! :)

I have rented international phones several times from Verizon without issue. They ship it to you before you leave along with all of the adaptors, etc. Upon receiving it, you just call the specified number to get it activated. If you are already a Verizon customer, they essentially transfer your service (and phone number) to the rented phone. When you return home you transfer service back to your own phone and ship the rental back in its postage paid packaging. Piece of cake!

cruisin
01-29-2010, 11:20 PM
I have rented international phones several times from Verizon without issue. They ship it to you before you leave along with all of the adaptors, etc. Upon receiving it, you just call the specified number to get it activated. If you are already a Verizon customer, they essentially transfer your service (and phone number) to the rented phone. When you return home you transfer service back to your own phone and ship the rental back in its postage paid packaging. Piece of cake!

That sounds great. I think that what I'll do is rent the Verizon phone (after reading your post I did some research), it's pretty cheap, just to rent it. Then I'll bring it and the one I bought last year to Italy. If the one I bought can take a new SIM card and work, it will be cheaper to use than paying the roaming on a US phone. If I can't use it, I have the Verizon. so, I'll cover all bases.

Thanks Twizzler!

sk8pics
01-30-2010, 02:26 PM
I just looked at Apple's website and read about the iPad and now I have to say it looks very appealing to me! In particular, the iBooks app appeals to me. My eyes are not the best, and sometimes even with my reading glasses, when I'm tired I have trouble reading small print. Being able to enlarge the print would be great! I'm definitely going to check it out but I'll wait at least a year, maybe longer, to get it. Some of the folks at work are taking bets about whether I will buy one before the year is out (vote is 3-1 in favor, so far), but really, there are a few other things I need to get before something like this, LOL!

cruisin
01-30-2010, 03:06 PM
I just looked at Apple's website and read about the iPad and now I have to say it looks very appealing to me! In particular, the iBooks app appeals to me. My eyes are not the best, and sometimes even with my reading glasses, when I'm tired I have trouble reading small print. Being able to enlarge the print would be great!

I was thinking the same thing. I need glasses or reading. I've considered the Kindle type devices, but they have no reading light and are not back lit. But, then I wondered if having the LED screen could bother my eyes, like the computer screen sometimes does. What do you think?

Lara
01-30-2010, 05:33 PM
I haven't personally had issues with LED, but a lot of people do say it causes eye strain.

With the Kindle you can't read at night without light, and of course the iPad does much more than ebooks. OTOH you get way better battery life and the smaller Kindle model is less expensive and more easily portable IMO. The iPad doesn't seem like something you're going to pull out while killing time in line at the supermarket, or on a crowded subway commute. But at home or on trips it'd be fine, so it depends how you want to use it.

sk8pics
01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
I haven't looked at it yet, but I imagine you can vary the intensity of the screen display, maybe also vary the contrast.

The battery life on the iPad is supposed to be 10 hours, which is pretty good. They have a nice docking station, too, you can use. And I have to admit, the idea of using it as a digital picture frame when it is in its dock is appealing to me, too.

Must. be. strong. and. resist!

kwanfan1818
01-30-2010, 11:46 PM
I have an iPhone. I love the touch-screen features, and I'm happy reading books on the bus or train or standing in line, etc. using the Kindle application for iPhone.

As much as I dislike the nipple navigation on the Kindle, when I'm in a chair or in bed reading a book, I prefer the Kindle. I'm not tempted to read my email or surf the net or answer a phone call, because it doesn't have those features, and it's great for reading outdoors, since it's not back lit. It does have a single font and there's no color, but it feels more like reading a book.

I may give in later, but for now, I'll skip it.

cruisin
01-31-2010, 12:13 AM
And I have to admit, the idea of using it as a digital picture frame when it is in its dock is appealing to me, too.

OOOH, didn't think of that! Are we going to talk each other into one? :lol:

As much as I dislike the nipple navigation on the Kindle, when I'm in a chair or in bed reading a book, I prefer the Kindle. I'm not tempted to read my email or surf the net or answer a phone call, because it doesn't have those features,

If I get one the above post will be why, I become a couch potato. :lol:

modern_muslimah
01-31-2010, 03:14 AM
A slightly interesting yet slightly obtuse piece on class and Apple products: http://lhote.blogspot.com/2010/01/apple-advantage-is-class-signalling-and.html

As for the iPad, it seems like an oversized, more expensive version of the iPod Touch. The photos and book features don't make up for that at all. Maybe in time, it will be worth it but with its current features, I think not.

sk8pics
01-31-2010, 01:52 PM
OOOH, didn't think of that! Are we going to talk each other into one? :lol:

:lol: No, no! Must.be.strong! We could start a support group for people like us who are trying to resist the latest from Apple!:lol:

cruisin
01-31-2010, 03:18 PM
A slightly interesting yet slightly obtuse piece on class and Apple products: http://lhote.blogspot.com/2010/01/apple-advantage-is-class-signalling-and.html

As for the iPad, it seems like an oversized, more expensive version of the iPod Touch. The photos and book features don't make up for that at all. Maybe in time, it will be worth it but with its current features, I think not.

I do agree with you, that as it is now, the iPad may not have enough to justify buying it. If you already have an iPod Touch or other items that can do the equivalent of what the iPad can do. Right now, I probably should not get one (and am certain, I will wait - sk8pics and I will keep each other from losing control :lol:). However, if this were last November, and I did not have my Droid, I probably would get one. I had a regular non-smart phone and my iPod is a Nano. Also, I don't have a laptop, I have an iMac 20" desktop. So, while you're absolutely right, that the iPad is redundant for many, for others, it might be a nice option.

With regard to the article. I completely disagree. Let's not forget that for years Apple and Mac users were the industry freaks. 10 years ago, if I mentioned I had a Mac, PC users would just roll their eyes and nod in a rather patronizing "you're one of them" manner :lol:. It's only since the iPod and newer generations of aesthetically sexy Macs came on the market that they began to give PCs a serious run for the money. The advent of the Apple store helped too. You have a store that is completely dedicated to Apple and has experts that are there to help with any problems. I have always had Macs, simply because they have been/are the gold standard for graphics/running graphics programs. The only "status" I enjoyed being a Mac person, was the perceived eccentricity :lol:. And now, the satisfaction that many former PC owners are seeing that Mac is awesome! Some of the products are more expensive, but you get more for the price. And Apple has the best customer service program, bar none.

:lol: No, no! Must.be.strong! We could start a support group for people like us who are trying to resist the latest from Apple!:lol:

A 12 step program for Apple Addicts. AA is taken, as is AAA so, what will we call it? We could go with Pad Protectors, but that just feeds into the whole "Pad" giggle fest :lol:. I'm dreading them coming to the stores. I know that once I hold one, I'm in trouble! We will have to be each others sponsors! Thank goodness I have internet access on my phone! :lol: If I am drawn into the Apple Store and find an iPad in my hands, I can come here, you can talk me down. I'll do the same for you.

Just want to say, because I would never want to unintentionally hurt anyone's feelings, I mean no disrespect to any of the real 12 step programs. I realize they save lives, and are valuable programs. We're just having a little fun with this.

sk8pics
01-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Right now, I probably should not get one (and am certain, I will wait - sk8pics and I will keep each other from losing control :lol:).
:lol:

A 12 step program for Apple Addicts. AA is taken, as is AAA so, what will we call it? We could go with Pad Protectors, but that just feeds into the whole "Pad" giggle fest :lol:. I'm dreading them coming to the stores. I know that once I hold one, I'm in trouble! We will have to be each others sponsors! Thank goodness I have internet access on my phone! :lol: If I am drawn into the Apple Store and find an iPad in my hands, I can come here, you can talk me down. I'll do the same for you.

Deal, I'm in!:lol: How about, ATMA (All Things Mac Addicts)? Or ATAA (All Things Apple Addicts)? :lol:

Hmnnn.... I just gave away my 6 or 7 year old iBook to a 70-year-old friend of mine, and am going over Friday to give him a few more lessons. Maybe I should give him my MacBook Pro and get an iPad? :lol: Not just yet, I guess, maybe in a couple years!:lol:

cruisin
01-31-2010, 07:36 PM
:lol:

Deal, I'm in!:lol: How about, ATMA (All Things Mac Addicts)? Or ATAA (All Things Apple Addicts)? :lol:

Like 'em both!

Hmnnn.... I just gave away my 6 or 7 year old iBook to a 70-year-old friend of mine, and am going over Friday to give him a few more lessons. Maybe I should give him my MacBook Pro and get an iPad? :lol: Not just yet, I guess, maybe in a couple years!:lol:

No, don't give away the MacBook Pro! :eek:! Yeah, I don't think the iPad is at that level, and probably won't be for a while.

My daughter wants to upgrade to a MacBook Pro, she has a 3 year old iBook. And she has an Adobe suite loaded on it that includes animation programs. Even though it's a Mac, with that much graphics software on it, it's running really slow. She just started a new job with a PR firm and surprisingly they use PCs. She may get the MB Pro on her own, but she was hoping that the new firm would be using them, oh, well. :)

JamieSix
01-31-2010, 07:47 PM
I saw this in FailBlog: http://failblog.org/2010/01/27/name-fail-photoshop-win/#comments

Epic win!

cruisin
01-31-2010, 10:22 PM
All of the "pad" jokes are giving Apple great advertising! :lol: