PDA

View Full Version : Apple announces iPad

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Aceon6
01-28-2010, 03:08 PM
It piqued my husband's interest. He has very little patience with computers and is a newspaper junkie. The thought of reading all the papers on one device was really appealing to him.

Lara
01-28-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm a major Apple fan, but I wouldn't get one.

You can only background iPod music - that means if you want Pandora, Slacker, Spotify or any internet radio you're stuck on that app instead of being able to surf or read books. Absolutely ridiculous. :wall:

No flash means no IceNetwork or Skatebuzz. No Hulu (or any other major network videos, except I believe BBC iPlayer in the UK). No Silverlight rules out Netflix too. It's pretty much YouTube or bust.

Forget downloading on the spot from fsvids (can't download anything off Mobile Safari) and even if you could you're restricted to iTunes format (no avi, divx, wmv).

Not crazy about being restricted to the App Store only, Apple has been known to reject apps like Google Voice and I waited 3 weeks for a Tweetie update to fix a significant bug last June after the developer had fixed and submitted it. Lesser point but still.

AT&T really sucks in NYC. The internet connection while improved over time can be downright painful, especially in Manhattan. I was disappointed Verizon wasn't an option this time.

Even with all those faults I love my iPhone (and "fixed" some issues like the multitasking by jailbreaking) - but putting up with them on a tablet is another matter completely. And it just didn't bring anything for me I couldn't already do on my iPhone or laptop. It'd be nice for the couch or the bed, but it's just not something I need and $500+ for a total luxury item is too much.

cruisin
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
I was disappointed Verizon wasn't an option this time.

Do you mean for the iPad?

I want one, but probably won't get one for now. I have a smart phone, so I don't need it for that. I don't have a laptop, I have an iMac, so it could fill in that gap. But, without the ability to use Adobe softwear, it wouldn't really serve the same purpose. I don't need anything that $$ for the small amount of time I access the internet when I'm not home. I do think that eventually, it will fill more needs. If I did not (finally) get a smart phone in November, I might have considered keeping the simple phone and getting the 3G version of the iPad for data, but I did, so.... As far as books, I like paperbacks just fine :). I'm going to see how this evolves.

As for the name iPad. I do see the humor and the cringiness of it. But, being an artist "pad" is a pad of paper for me, sketch pad, etc. So, I did't make the same "pad" association, right off, as others did. I think slate would have been better, but...

silverstars
01-28-2010, 04:35 PM
No Flash is just weird. It looks interesting to me and I could see this being the "new direction" for computers or whatever (or so my techgeek friends keep saying), but I think that waiting a few months for them to work out the flaws on technology this new would probably be a good idea. I could see it taking awhile to get used to as well--it just seems like a big iPhone right now, and I have a feeling that the way that they've done the keyboard on the screen would annoy me a bit.

I also think that it's very interesting that they have a book app that goes with it. It looks kind of like they're going after the Kindle market now too, which should be interesting if this thing turns out to be popular (first the music industry and now books too?). My friend, who is a graphic designer, is also interested in the art-related possibilities too (i.e. she has a tablet that attaches to her MacBook now, but maybe this can eventually replace that).

cruisin
01-28-2010, 04:40 PM
My friend, who is a graphic designer, is also interested in the art-related possibilities too (i.e. she has a tablet that attaches to her MacBook now, but maybe this can eventually replace that).

When I first heard that apple was developing a tablet, that was what I thought (hoped) it was, or was at least capable of. But no. That is probably why they stepped away from the iTablet name, it would be confusing for graphics people who know tablets to be drawing devices. If this thing were capable of that + what it does - I'd so get one! Maybe eventually.

AragornElessar
01-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Does she actually need/want an iPhone or just something with numbers she can read?

All of the cell phones have such small number key pads anymore, she can't see any of them. The reason I chose the one we got when we needed the upgrade two years ago was because at the time, it was the only one w/a keypad that was backlit. Thinking that would help.

Not so far... :rolleyes:

This was actually Dad's idea. He saw someone using one on a TV show a couple of months ago and we got talking. He thought since it uses a touch display instead of a key pad, that maybe...

So that's why I'm asking. Kept meaning to since he saw it then, but w/Christmas stuff also going on, it slipped my mind. Since Apple launched the iPad and you're also all talking about the iPhone, I thought I'd ask in here. :)

Anita18
01-28-2010, 07:21 PM
For those w/an iPhone...When you're dialing a number, how big is the layout/numbers on the screen?

Reason I'm asking is that Mom's got severe Macular Degeneration and she can't see the number keys on the current Cell we've got. I've even shown her, several times at that, how to do where she doesn't have to bother w/the number keys, as the important numbers are all in Memory. She always forgets, so...

Just wondering and thanks in advance!!
My bf has an iPhone, and from what I've seen, the numbers take up almost the entirety of the screen. You can see them VERY easily. IIRC the "buttons" are orange. They are a lot bigger than your typical cell phone number pad.

What's a little annoying is that the touch aspect is a bit picky sometimes. I surf forums with my iPod Touch and have accidentally unsubscribed from threads when all I wanted was to go to the last page. :lol:

cruisin
01-28-2010, 07:26 PM
What's a little annoying is that the touch aspect is a bit picky sometimes. I surf forums with my iPod Touch and have accidentally unsubscribed from threads when all I wanted was to go to the last page. :lol:

I think that is the nature of touch screens. My Droid's screen is hyper sensitive. I am constantly going places I didn't mean to go, by brushing it with my finger accidentally.

milanessa
01-28-2010, 07:35 PM
All of the cell phones have such small number key pads anymore, she can't see any of them. The reason I chose the one we got when we needed the upgrade two years ago was because at the time, it was the only one w/a keypad that was backlit. Thinking that would help.

Have you checked out the Jitterbug for her? I'm thinking of getting one for my mother. She hasn't got a vision problem but her Alzheimer's causes her some confusion when she uses her phone. She'll sometimes punch buttons at random and shuts off features, deletes numbers, etc. The Jitterbug has a large keypad and display screen and (with the higher end plan) a live operator who will dial for you or reprogram the phone or just help in general. It's not sexy looking and is basically just a phone but I'm going to try it for my mother.

Carry on with iPad. :lol:

Rob
01-28-2010, 08:30 PM
I knew I should have bought stock in Apple.

I did when the market dropped in 2008. Wish I'd bought more.

sk8pics
01-28-2010, 11:13 PM
I sold mine a while ago. :duh: I doubled or tripled my money, as I recall, but, oh the possibilities!! :wuzrobbed

SHARPIE
01-29-2010, 01:01 PM
An iphone is still only tied to one network in the US? :( It was only available on one network here for around 2 years (O2) but in the last couple of months it has been launched on Orange and Vodaphone too.

I was a geek and pre ordered it for the launch on Orange and love it to bits :D

cruisin
01-29-2010, 02:59 PM
An iphone is still only tied to one network in the US? :( It was only available on one network here for around 2 years (O2) but in the last couple of months it has been launched on Orange and Vodaphone too.

I was a geek and pre ordered it for the launch on Orange and love it to bits :D

Sharpie, I know this is a bit off topic, but I have 2 questions that you might be able to answer. When we were in Paris last spring, we got an inexpensive cell phone with X# of minutes pre loaded at Orange. They told us that when we went on to Barcelona it would still work. What happened is, the phone sent and received calls fine in Paris. Local calls and international calls back to the US and actually to the UK (my husband rented a Blackberry and it had a UK exchange). When we got to Barcelona, it would not call out to anywhere and could only receive calls from land lines. Would you know if that is a service issue or if the problem is that we had to get a different SIM card for Spain? If that's the case, Orange should have told us that before we purchased 2 weeks worth of minutes :mad:. The second question is, I may be going to Italy in April, do you have any idea if the phone will work there? will I just need a new SIM card? We have Verizon in the US, Verizon doesn't use SIM cards, the info is loaded on the phone. So, I ask them questions, and since they don't operate that way they don't have answers. Oh, one more bit of info, I have a Droid, which I really like, but it is not international. Blackberry is international, but I don't like it as much and didn't want to choose a phone for 2 weeks out of the year. Damn, I want an iPhone!

Anyone else who might know the answer to these questions, please jump in. I'm trying to decide if I can bring that phone with me, and it will work. Or, if I should rent one here, this time. Any help - greatly appreciated! :)

SHARPIE
01-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Sounds like a service issue, Im not actually in a contract with Orange and have used my pay as you go phones in both France and Spain for the last few years with no problems at all.

Lara
01-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Cruisin - Unfortunately the Droid won't work at all in Europe since they don't use CDMA. :( You'll have to get a cheap GSM phone for Italy. FWIW, I don't think 2 weeks is worth putting up with a phone you like less for the rest of the year, so it was still the right choice IMO. And even if you did have the iPhone you'd have to either jailbreak to unlock and switch SIM cards or pay out of your nose for AT&T roaming charges in Europe.

Sharpie - yeah, it's still AT&T only in the States. The problem is that T-Mobile is the only other nationwide GSM provider and has much smaller coverage. Verizon's CDMA (totally incompatible) and they're planning to switch to a new comptable technology in the future, so Apple has less incentive to make a CDMA phone. There were rumors though they might do it for the iPad.