PDA

View Full Version : Apple announces iPad

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

genegri
01-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Is that for "Regular" or "Light Days"? :P You know the "Maxi" version will cost considerably more. :slinkaway

:biggrinbo:rofl::D Oh my! I have so many good answers to this question! Too bad I am at work and using company network right now so I have to refrain myself.

I am very impatiently waiting for IPhone to work with Verizon. My entire team is on IPhone except me. But AT&T reception in our office building sucks so bad it regularly drops calls. My team members routinely come into my office (I have a window office) and stand by the window and yell into the phone. As much as I want an IPhone, I don't think it's that good that I will sacrifice service level.

Honestly, I don't quite understand the lure of IPhone. Sure, I myself am a major sucker for cute things and the IPhone is cute and that's why the shallow little me wants it badly. But I imagine most people are not as "form over function" as I am when it comes to gadgets, especially guys. The popularity of Iphone makes me go :confused:.

sk8pics
01-27-2010, 09:12 PM
I had the same thought when I first heard the name, but when I saw it in print with "Apple" before it, all thoughts except, "wow that looks cool!" disappeared from my brain.:lol: I would definitely consider buying one if I traveled a lot. I'll have to check it out at the Apple store nearby when it's in stock...

Yay, Apple!

skatingfan5
01-27-2010, 09:20 PM
I am very impatiently waiting for IPhone to work with Verizon. My entire team is on IPhone except me. But AT&T reception in our office building sucks so bad it regularly drops calls. My team members routinely come into my office (I have a window office) and stand by the window and yell into the phone. As much as I want an IPhone, I don't think it's that good that I will sacrifice service level. That's the exact opposite situation as mine -- the company phones were all on a Verizon plan, but I didn't have one, just my personal phone (which was AT&T). We moved into a brand new, multi-million dollar building and for the first several weeks I couldn't figure out why I saw so many people (including top management) talking on their phones while standing out in the vestibule or near windows in the conference rooms, etc. The Verizon reception was so bad that they had to eventually get a new contract with AT&T. Meanwhile, I, in my windowless, lowly interior office never had a dropped call. :lol:

cruisin
01-27-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm reading between the lines that the ATT "no contract" and fairly reasonable rates for the iPad were concessions to Apple in the hopes of keeping exclusivity through 2010. Stay tuned.

eta. T-Mobile is in play as well as they can support the current versions of the iPhone. Verizon is on a totally different network.

Yes, but Verizon is completely revamping their system. And from what I understand AT&T will have problems supporting the 4G version of iPhone. Verizon is working to provide for the 4G. The google phone is the first step. All I can say is that my Droid is FAST! My daughter and husband have Blackberrys. They go on the internet and I've opened 20 things in the time it takes them to open 1. I am guessing that the iPhone will not be better than the Droid, but it's Apple :).

Count me in as one who will wait 6 months, possibly more and let my data plan phone be up for an "upgrade". then I'll transfer the data plan to the iPad and get a simple phone. I'll want to play at the apple store first.

Nothing juvenile intended, but I was hoping for iSlate. I like that better.

silverstars
01-27-2010, 09:55 PM
iPad. Oy. I'm thinking that a man came up with that name, because a computer was not the first thing that I thought of when I heard it.

From a purely non-juvenile (or at least I'm trying), commercial perspective it's kind of surprising, considering how much money Apple puts into marketing, that they'd come up with that.

NinjaTurtles
01-27-2010, 10:08 PM
I've been a longtime supporter of Apple, but I'm finding the tablet to be excessive and unnecessary for just about anyone. With it's relative size, why not just use a laptop? It can do everything the iPad does and more; or be satisfied with the size of the iPhone.

Erica Lee
01-27-2010, 10:13 PM
I probably won't get one... between my MacBook Pro and my iPhone, I don't have anything I can't do on the go right now. I don't see the benefit of having an iPad in addition to those devices.

I am thinking of getting one for my grandparents though. They don't have a computer and more and more they want to look at pics of the grandkids or research a few simple things. Might be a good option for them.

Mayra
01-27-2010, 10:20 PM
I've been a longtime supporter of Apple, but I'm finding the tablet to be excessive and unnecessary for just about anyone. With it's relative size, why not just use a laptop? It can do everything the iPad does and more.

With laptops getting thinner and smaller, I think this is the first step into making iPads(horrible name) the laptops of the future. It is small, functional and as technology continues to grow, I can imagine a time when Ipad-like technology trumps the clunkier laptops. It doesn't appear to be soup yet, but it is an excellent starting point.

:respec: to Apple.

BigB08822
01-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Definitely wait to get it if you can. I remember when the iPhone first came out and how expensive they were. They are STILL coming out with upgrades for the iPhone that are rather basic, IMO. For example, the iPhone just very recently had the power to send and receive pictures!! ZOMG, like my phone did that in the 10th grade!!!! I imagine they will be holding out on a LOT of features for the iPad to get people to purchase new ones in a year or two.

skatingfan5
01-27-2010, 10:27 PM
So they're referring to it as a "tablet" -- why not iTab, instead of iPad? Maybe Coca-Cola would object? Then again, potentially there would be cross-linkages in advertising. On second thought, scratch that -- Tab was known as being "the first and the worst." iPad it is and I might as well start creating some new neural linkages. :lol:

agalisgv
01-27-2010, 10:46 PM
For example, the iPhone just very recently had the power to send and receive pictures!! Really? I've had an iPhone for awhile, and it could always do that.

Nowadays you can film a short movie and send that out instead of just pics.

Anita18
01-27-2010, 10:50 PM
I've been a longtime supporter of Apple, but I'm finding the tablet to be excessive and unnecessary for just about anyone. With it's relative size, why not just use a laptop? It can do everything the iPad does and more; or be satisfied with the size of the iPhone.
Right, especially since one of the articles my cousin sent me said that it didn't seem like it could multitask. Considering how many windows we can have up at the same time, multitasking is a MUST for our computers. :lol: (And it still annoys me how my iPod Touch can't multitask very well. It simply closes connections when I'm chatting with friends and want to do something else.)

Mayra
01-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Really? I've had an iPhone for awhile, and it could always do that.

Nowadays you can film a short movie and send that out instead of just pics.

You could do it through email, but until this past Sept?, unless you went through AT&T's annoying retrieval process, the iPhone did not have the capability to MMS.

cruisin
01-27-2010, 11:02 PM

I think it might be a great option for someone who wants a larger format screen and would dump their smart phone for a simple one. Plus the book option.

With laptops getting thinner and smaller, I think this is the first step into making iPads(horrible name) the laptops of the future. It is small, functional and as technology continues to grow, I can imagine a time when Ipad-like technology trumps the clunkier laptops. It doesn't appear to be soup yet, but it is an excellent starting point.

:respec: to Apple.

I agree. It will not surprise me if this winds up, in the future, with phone capacity that you can connect with blue tooth.

hydro
01-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Absolutely ridiculous name :lol: Not sure what they were thinking.

Cool device, though. I think it's a good first step. I don't really see myself getting one (I love my Macbook Pro and iPhone), but down-the-line I could see it being really amazing. Just think about the first iPod released (http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/first-gen-ipod.jpg), and what we have now.