PDA

View Full Version : Pair/Dance post national breakups

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

fan
01-18-2010, 04:26 PM
It's that time of year again...let the splitting and rematching begin!

I thought I'd start a list of all of the splitting - does anyone know of any? All countries welcome.

Thanks.

nirti
01-21-2010, 01:49 PM
1st split : Michael Stewart (from Pisotta/Stewart) is on icepartnersearch.

TinySkater
01-24-2010, 02:45 AM
Monica Pisota is now on ips too!

thisyearsfool
01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Well, I read ISI: Online (http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/) and according to their Nationals coverage (http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/results_nationals/senpar10.htm):

It was a difficult end to a difficult season for them [McLaughlin/Brubaker], and will likely be the end of their partnership, as the team appears to have no rapport either on or off the ice.

Any truth in that?

newbatgirl
01-24-2010, 07:37 PM
I doubt this as McLaughlin was quoted right after Nats as saying that she could not imagine herself skating with anyone else. Of course, if Brubaker sees things differently...

Spiralgraph
01-24-2010, 07:42 PM
I'd rather they not split up. but M/B's performance at US Nationals has got to make each of them consider their options. One thing for sure, they have to improve, or other teams will pass them by for good.

oleada
01-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Lenko/Cheperdak had split up earlier this season and WD from Canadians. He's on Icepartnersearch.com.

Frau Muller
01-24-2010, 08:12 PM
I doubt this as McLaughlin was quoted right after Nats as saying that she could not imagine herself skating with anyone else. Of course, if Brubaker sees things differently...

Correct. He is too talented. Hmmmm....how about Baga/Brubaker?

stjeaskategym
01-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, I read ISI: Online (http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/) and according to their Nationals coverage (http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/results_nationals/senpar10.htm):

Any truth in that?

Sounds like some BS opinion from an ignorant "reporter", to be honest.

jobelle
01-24-2010, 10:51 PM
I read a quote somewhere in the last week where Rockne said that they planned to stick together and that "they had never just planned on doing one Olympics anyway". It sounded to me like they are planning on staying together ... but, of course, that could always change. Sorry, I don't remember which article it was.

Fallcolor
01-24-2010, 10:57 PM
I read a quote somewhere in the last week where Rockne said that they planned to stick together and that "they had never just planned one doing one Olympics anyway". It sounded to me like they are planning on staying together ... but, of course, that could always change. Sorry, I don't remember which article it was.
Yep they want to do 2 olympics.Article (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091105&content_id=7626786&vkey=ice_news)

guccimomma
01-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Correct. He is too talented. Hmmmm....how about Baga/Brubaker?
I guess time will tell...Baga is only 14 and will still grow, Rockne needs someone that is full grown and Keauna size or smaller; which will be more difficult to find then one thinks.

Carolla5501
01-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Have we heard about formal retirements (or is that another thread)?

I would think there would be a few US pairs calling it quits this year. (Not looking for new partners, just moving on!)

stjeaskategym
01-24-2010, 11:22 PM

Any truth in that?

I just wanted to say more about this "article"...

It's not just because I am a big fan of theirs... I find Keauna and Rockne's rapport on and off the ice to be quite good. I wish most pairs had the chemistry on the ice that they do. To "report" that they likely will split because they have "no rapport" is ridiculous and silly, in my opinion. Who the heck writes crap like that? Who knows who wrote it because I don't even see a name of an author on that page.

I think one of the reasons why pair skating has been so weak in this country is because nobody has any patience with each other and looks to split once everything isn't all sunshine and rainbows. In sports, it is natural to have ups and downs, and nobody looking to have a long-term career is going to have all amazing years. And, gasp, there is no such thing as a perfect pairs partner. Sometimes, your partner will make mistakes. It happens!

Maybe Shen & Zhao should have split after getting 15th at their first Worlds and then 11th the following year... Maybe Mukhortova & Trankov should have given up after getting 12th and 11th at their first two Worlds appearances... Maybe Dube & Davison should have split after getting 6th at Skate America and 10th at the Olympics one year... Hell, maybe both M/T and D/D should have split after losing Nationals-- Every pair should split unless they win Nationals EVERY year, right? Maybe Zhang & Zhang should have quit after getting 11th at their first Olympics. YAWN!

Haha, sorry for the rant, but sometimes the expectations are too damn high for a pair that is only 17 and 23 years old. They missed out on an Olympic spot by about 8 pts, half of which were lost because of a messed up death spiral. A death spiral! A total fluke accident. This was after coming off of an Intl GP season in which they were, again, the most well-received US team there. Can we give these two a break already and let them mature and develop like every other top pair team in this world has done? Okay, rant over.

newbatgirl
01-24-2010, 11:51 PM
I just wanted to say more about this "article"...

It's not just because I am a big fan of theirs... I find Keauna and Rockne's rapport on and off the ice to be quite good. I wish most pairs had the chemistry on the ice that they do. To "report" that they likely will split because they have "no rapport" is ridiculous and silly, in my opinion. Who the heck writes crap like that? Who knows who wrote it because I don't even see a name of an author on that page.

I think one of the reasons why pair skating has been so weak in this country is because nobody has any patience with each other and looks to split once everything isn't all sunshine and rainbows. In sports, it is natural to have ups and downs, and nobody looking to have a long-term career is going to have all amazing years. And, gasp, there is no such thing as a perfect pairs partner. Sometimes, your partner will make mistakes. It happens!

Maybe Shen & Zhao should have split after getting 15th at their first Worlds and then 11th the following year... Maybe Mukhortova & Trankov should have given up after getting 12th and 11th at their first two Worlds appearances... Maybe Dube & Davison should have split after getting 6th at Skate America and 10th at the Olympics one year... Hell, maybe both M/T and D/D should have split after losing Nationals-- Every pair should split unless they win Nationals EVERY year, right? Maybe Zhang & Zhang should have quit after getting 11th at their first Olympics. YAWN!

Haha, sorry for the rant, but sometimes the expectations are too damn high for a pair that is only 17 and 23 years old. They missed out on an Olympic spot by about 8 pts, half of which were lost because of a messed up death spiral. A death spiral! A total fluke accident. This was after coming off of an Intl GP season in which they were, again, the most well-received US team there. Can we give these two a break already and let them mature and develop like every other top pair team in this world has done? Okay, rant over.

Well said. Echoes what Tai Babilonia said in one of Manleywoman's skatecasts about today's teams breaking up after one or two bad seasons and not giving their partnership a chance to grow. Look, not everyone can have instant success like Denney and Barrett. Most teams need to grow into each other.