PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in the Ten. Let's all get our sticks back out.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Loves_Shizuka
05-25-2010, 06:20 PM
^true. I think she came back too early though.

Still so pumped for Kimiko. Unbelievable win.

judgejudy27
05-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Sorry but I never liked Safina. I am glad she is fading out of the picture altogether as her holding such a lofty place was the most thing for womens tennis ever. With the Belgians back, Williams still going strong, the up and comers beginning to make their move, I doubt we will ever see Safina get anywhere near the top 10 again, heck maybe not even top 10.

Date is just more proof what an amazing womens tennis field was around in the mid 90s when the greatest female player of all time- Steffi Graf, was so dominant. Date back then at her absolute peak was just a 6-15 kind of player who on average was a round of 16 loser in slams. Yet such a player 14 years past her prime and pushing 40 is able to beat last years #1 at this time in a Grand Slam event. 14 years ago Date lost in the round of 16 of the French to a pre prime Davenport on her worst surface, Davenport then went on to be destroyed by Conchita Martinez in the quarters, and Martinez then went on to be destroyed by Graf in the semis. This was when at her all time peak.

Loves_Shizuka
05-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Did anyone see the match? Just watched highlights; some of the winners Kimiko hit were :eek: crazy good. She also made more errors but she totally dictated play. I'm so glad she won; when she shed tears at the end I really felt truly emotional with her. What an inspiration she and this match was. It's moments like this why she came back to playing tennis.

Safina though is in trouble; her head is even more all over the place, she's not physically fit and when-oh-when did she get so passive?! She hit 14 (FOURTEEN!!) winners the whole match!

judgejudy27
05-25-2010, 11:30 PM
I saw the whole match, only bothering to watch it as I really wanted to see Date play. I wasnt surprised Date outslugged Safina from the baseline. Date always had very low, flat, powerful groundies. If they could give Graf trouble on occasion they would certainly give Safina trouble even at nearly 40 years old. Safina's only game is one dimensional baseline bashing and she isnt even that good at that. I bet 100 years from now she will still go down as the most talentless player (relatively speaking) to ever reach #1. She muscles the ball when she gets a bit tight and actually extracts alot of the power without it going into her actual shots. Her serve sucks too, a power player atleast needs a powerful and reliable serve to start off points.

shah
05-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Kimiko definitely sets an example for Fumie :P. still, :respec:! at the same time - Safina :eek:. and another :eek: at Azarenka losing in the first round (otoh, Dulko is hot, so I'm not that disappointed :P).
Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez and Carla Suarez Navarro :(

skatak
05-26-2010, 01:36 AM
please please please, no rain next thursday ! my birthday present to myself : ticket to see the French Open. no rain ! no rain !
don't know who i'll get to see, but being the first week, I hope to see some names :)

Beefcake
05-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Fingers crossed for you, skatak! Ladies SF should be on the docket, right? Hope you to see your favorites.

Oh, heck, sounds like you'll be happy enough if you merely get your wish of "no weather problems!" That'll be my sole wish once I make it to Wimbledon!

Enjoy. :)

Garden Kitty
05-26-2010, 04:01 PM
This was probably posted here already and I missed it, but here's more French Open karaoke. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmuuXd-BnCc&feature=youtu.be)

Loves_Shizuka
05-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Kuznetsova beats Petkovic, 4-6 7-5 6-4, saving 4 MPs in the 2nd. Good God, Andrea. :(

Rezai still winning. :D

london_calling
05-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Anyone watching this Monfils/Fognini match? Insane that they have to play this dark. The officials dropped the ball. I'm holding out for Fognini, this horrendously obnoxious crowd is turning me against Monfils.

Fergus
05-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Anyone watching this Monfils/Fognini match? Insane that they have to play this dark. The officials dropped the ball. I'm holding out for Fognini, this horrendously obnoxious crowd is turning me against Monfils.

OMG, I wish I had! :wideeyes:

The crowd was making some scary noises.

5-all in the 5th, what a time to suspend play! But I guess they really had no choice, its pitch dark.

oleada
05-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Kuznetsova beats Petkovic, 4-6 7-5 6-4, saving 4 MPs in the 2nd. Good God, Andrea. :(

Rezai still winning. :D

While I'm sad for Petkovic, because she's fab - SVETA :cheer:

CaptCrunch
05-27-2010, 12:15 AM
That was a major choke job for Petkovic. I bet she won't be able to sleep tonight. Now way should she have lost that match. Going in to today's match Kuznetsova's match record was actually below .500 for the year, 8-9. She's in no shape to do any real damage in this tournament. Mentally she just isn't there right now.

Venus in 3rd rd where she's lost the last 3 years. So far she's looked good. Cibulkova awaits.

Wild finish to that Fognini/Monfils match except it didn't really finish. Patrick McEnroe was ripping the chair umpire for allowing a 6 minute delay at 9:30pm while the players argued over whether they should continue playing. Couldn't believe how dark it was but on tv it didn't look that bad cause the ESPN cameras are all digitally enhanced. Pam Shriver and Darren Cahill were saying they've never seen a match at a major played in such darkness. Monfils had to save 2 match pts before finally holding at 5-5. He's lucky to still be in the tournament plus he was cramping at the end.

Skatak, have a great time tomorrow. Hopefully its a nice day and you'll see lots of tennis. Do give us a report on the matches you see.

BigB08822
05-27-2010, 02:14 AM
I read this thread every day hoping to see all the "OMG Henin LOST" posts but no luck so far.

judgejudy27
05-27-2010, 02:18 AM
I read this thread every day hoping to see all the "OMG Henin LOST" posts but no luck so far.

Come back at Wimbledon.